I arrive at the Westbank Holiday Inn at 2:50pm on July 30th 2006. While I stand and wait at the front desk, neither of the staff chooses to look up and greet me. I eventually ask if I may check in. At this point I am told that my room is not going to be ready until 4pm. I express my concern and let Front Desk know that this is an inconvenience and a waste of my time. However, it did not matter to either of the ladies at the Front Desk.
I decide to leave the Westbank Holiday Inn and come back later with my luggage. The Front Desk did not offer any assistance to store my luggage, or any means of compensation for my inconvenience. In fact the woman at the Front Desk looked at me, rolls her eyes and says, “What do you expect me to do? I could cry about it if you want?” At this point I left.
At 5pm I return to the Westbank Holiday Inn only to learn that my room is still not ready. Now my guest is annoyed with Front Desk and the continued inconvenience. The room was promised to be ready for 4pm. I ask to see the manager, however he is not around. I ask for the phone number of Customer Relations however, I was given the wrong number.
I eventually locate the number for Customer Relations at Intercontinental Hotels Group (ICG) and call from the lobby in front of the Front Desk. ICG Customer Relations quickly takes action with the Front Desk once ICG finds out I have been waiting 2hrs to check in and I was calling from the lobby of the hotel. Suddenly the room was available in 5 minutes!
Again, I stress that it was now past 5pm and my room was promised by 4pm. The Front Desk offers no means to compensate me for my inconvenience. Not even an apology. Yet when I confronted Front Desk about an apology, it was given (somewhat too late in my mind if I have to “ask” for one.)
It was not until ICG instructs the Front Desk to offer a free breakfast that any sort of compensation or acknowledgement of the inconvenience is made. A small gesture, but I am willing to take it as a peace offering at this point. However the next day while at breakfast I discovered it is not a free breakfast for two; it is a $20 coupon towards a breakfast!!!
This “lack of service” from Front Desk continued during my two night stay. When the rooms were made up, the maids just threw the comforter over each bed (see pictures attached). I called ICG Customer Relations again because I could not get through to Front Desk, only to express my concern that I can not get any resolution from the Front Desk or the Manager. During each incident I asked Front Desk to leave a message for the manager to contact me. However, I never heard from the Manager during my 2 nights / 3 day stay.
I spoke to ICG Customer Relations three times during my stay and finally ICG apologized to me on behalf of the Westbank Holiday Inn. ICG could not believe that the Manager did not come to see me to resolve the issue in person, as per hotel policy.
In conclusion, ICG promised to resolve the situation and contact me at a later date. I stressed to ICG that I enjoy staying at Holiday Inns; however, I would never under any circumstances stay at the Westbank Holiday Inn again. Not even with a free nights stay. Therefore, my suggestion is that if you choose to stay at the Westbank Holiday Inn, do so with caution and bring the ICG Customer Relations number with you! And if you need to call, ensure to get a reference number to keep track of the complaint and follow up.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn West Kelowna Nestled in the heart of the Okanagan Valley in West Kelowna, this Holiday Inn hotel is a short drive from Okanagan attractions and BC's renowned wineries. Business travelers to our West Kelowna hotel enjoy the convenience of our flexible meeting facilities. Our four meeting rooms can be modified for multiple configurations, and our catering and helpful staff make Holiday Inn the perfect place for guests' meetings, seminars and celebrations. Recently renovated and re-opened, our ballroom is perfect for hosting a wedding reception or company event. Guests also benefit from close proximity to local businesses and attractions. While there is plenty to do in West Kelowna, outdoor activities are easily the most popular Okanagan attractions for visitors at our Holiday Inn hotel. For ski enthusiasts, Crystal Mountain is a scenic 30 minute drive away, and Big White Ski Resort has a shuttle that picks up guests at our door. Also within close proximity are several golf courses, Okanagan Lake and many shopping centres. Our suburban West Kelowna hotel's amenities include an indoor/outdoor saltwater swimming pool, outdoor whirlpool, fitness centre, complimentary high-speed wireless Internet access, and an on-site restaurant and lounge. Whether you are in town for the Wine Festival or business, our Holiday Inn West Kelowna hotel's friendly and helpful staff will take great care in ensuring you have a memorable stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn West Kelowna reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Kelowna Sw-Westbank Hotel West Kelowna
- Holiday Inn Westbank
- Westbank Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn West Kelowna Canada