“Beautiful location but overpriced”

Mission Hill Family Estate Winery
Book In Advance
More Info
US$120.74*
and up
All Star Wineries of Kelowna Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Mission Hill Family Estate, situated in the heart of British Columbia's breathtaking Okanagan Valley wine country, one of the Pacific Northwest's undiscovered gems. Making great wines and providing a special place where people can enjoy them has been my dream and my life's work. Now, it's a reality, one that my family and I want to share with everyone who visits us high atop Mission Hill. We hope you'll think of our winery as a refuge from the hurried pace of daily life. We invite you to experience the nature and art of winemaking by walking our lush on-site vineyards and visiting our underground cellars. Sample fine wines by the glass, marvel at the vista and reflect on a process that's almost as old as time itself. We look forward to welcoming you at Mission Hill Family Estate. Anthony von Mandl Proprietor
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Beautiful location but overpriced”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This winery has fantastic views of the lake and surrounding area. A great place to take guests for the view and grounds. Wine tasting and food are expensive as are the wines and items in the gift shop.
A friend from the US bought me a gift certificate. The winery refused to mail the certificate to me or to the purchaser but insisted on delivering it in person. I tipped the man who delivered it only to find my friend was charged an additional $10 to have it brought to my home. This is gouging and I have since notified other friends not to buy Mission Hill gift certificates.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Lenore495

• Korean first
West Kelowna, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Outstanding”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Food is remarkable, both for quality and high prices. One of the most unusual wineries in the Okanogan.

Visited October 2013
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Over the top, but in a good way”
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

When I first saw this place, I thought it was pretentious. However, after I went to Napa Valley and saw the kinds of things they were doing, I realized that it was actually a very good contribution to that way of thinking of wineries-as-destination in and of themselves. In fact, in some ways, it is much better than most of its California relatives, so to speak, because it takes advantage of its spectacular site overlooking the lake in about a 180-degree sweep--something California simply doesn't have. The architecture is severely beautiful, and the wines--while pricey--are certainly competitive on the world stage. The only criticsm I would offer is that in their efforts to seem like enlightened patrons of the arts, the owners have missed a real opportunity to do something for their country. For example, they proudly display what they call a Chagall--a tapestry executed by someone else after a Chagall design--instead of spending the same amount of money on a large-scale work by a Canadian artist like Jack Shadbolt (whose enormous Tree of Life outshines the tapestry in its location at the university on the other side of the lake) or Paterson Ewen or Jeff Wall or, for cryin' out loud, even Emily Carr or something. Evidently they hired an American art consultant, which goes a long way to explaining this oversight. If the only art, architecture, bell-casting and antiques-procuring of note are non-Canadian, which is what this estate seems to say, then perhaps the only wine worth having is non-Canadian, too. Since they obviously don't believe that or they wouldn't be in business, then why support this inadvertent insult to national excellence in other regards?

Visited November 2013
West Kelowna, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Mission Hill Winery”

I
live 5 minutes from Mission Hill. A new guest at my house always gets the $12.00 tour. It is such a world class facility where treatment by the staff is first class, the views are superb and I have not had one guest that has not enjoyed the visit. If you get chance to meet the owner, as I have, you will gain a new respect for how it all came together.... Don't miss this opportunity.
Del

Visited August 2013
Sydney, Australia
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Nice views but pricey for what you get”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This was the first place we visited in the area. It certainly has the best view in the region, given that it sits right on top of it. From all angles you can see Vineyards and houses sprawling into the distance. Unfortunately we arrived a little late for lunch, however they had intermezzo which basically translated to $70 for a cheese plate, olives and two glasses of wine. I guess this is mainly because of the wine, which was listed at nine dollars on the menu, but was charged at 16. When we asked, they said it is because it was a full glass rather than a normal glass or some such thing. Hmmm.

We had already tried a couple of the wines so cannot vouch for the value of the tasting, but the building where they conduct the tastings was very nice.

Visited September 2013