“Come to the Cove - I am returning in the fall.”

The Cove Lakeside Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in West Kelowna
Vancouver, Canada
“Come to the Cove - I am returning in the fall.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

There is a positive energy, "we want to help you" vibe at the Cove Lakeside in West Kelowna, whether it was changing rooms, getting a massage or planning a winery itinerary. We stayed there for four nights at the height of summer when the staff was also dealing with hordes of guests including endless streams of weddings, families and couples.

The staff at the Cove Lakeside appear to be hand-picked as they were amazingly hospitable: Leigh-Ann who helped us book our first room, Front staff Becca, Ashley and a receptionist whose initial starts with "M" (sorry!!), Eugene who fixed my mistakes with the tv, Adam the bellhop, the servers in Bonfire like Zoe and Annie, the Aveda spa, the gym, Rick from Housekeeping.

The weather (mid-August) was fabulous. We are particularly struck by how much of an active family "club" the Cove is through the day with kids constantly sliding into or jumping into the pools having immense fun and maybe a beautiful wedding taking place down on the beach, but yet it transforms at dusk to a more intimate couples resort. The Live music (we LOVED "Electric Freeway" - very Big Chill feel) on the patio while dining al fresco under the twinkling lights in the trees is a real treat. And the Peach Martinis and Hendrick's gin mojitos...!!

Definitely through the day, this is a kids' pool playground, but somehow (beautifully) and a water warrior's paradise, at night this resort somehow morphs into a more intimate, romantic venue. We really enjoyed the dinner and breakfasts at the Bonfire.

The food and service was excellent. Have one of their artichoke pizzas and a berry salad.

While a lake view is beautiful and in the midst of it all, we loved the relaxing sun-drenched (deep into the late afternoon) feeling of the garden view. I would strongly recommend a garden view if you are a couple and want the best of all worlds (you still get a lake view and a some quiet time with your book on the patio). Get a one or two bedroom suite.

Room Tip: garden room and get a suite as there are massive kitchens and lovely living room area.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
St Albert
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Thanks again to the Cove and all their staff for another fantastic stay. Becca at the front desk did an amazing job from the first moment we stepped onto the property to make sure our week was outstanding. We look forward every year to arriving here to take full advantage of the great rooms, waterslide/pool area, walking path, beach and great food. If your bored of staying in "hotels" and are looking for an experience that is different ...strongly consider staying here. It costs more than many places in Kelowna that I've stayed at...for us it's worth it. We will be back again next year to continue the tradition

Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

...overpriced for the quality of workmanship. They can get away with high room prices because it's a popular area and the tourists flock there every year. My sense is they built the place on a budget as there is evidence of poor quality. The carpets in the halls are thin with not sense of underlay as in other places i have been. The carpet choice/color showed the stains from use. In one suite I visited the bathroom door didn't fit properly so it could not be closed. This was in a two bedroom suite at $400.00 per night. The elevators are slow so be patient. The setting is very good overlooking the lake. I was attending a family wedding which was hosted by the Cove. They did a pretty good job of that. The food at the reception was great and the facility was adequate for the event.

I had asked for a small room as I was there for one night. I got what I asked for. It was called a studio room. The bedroom was exactly five paces by five paces with a small bathroom adjoining. Bed was comfortable. Basic price was $219 but by the time I checked out with tax AND "resort fee" the bill was close to $280.00. I realize the price is high because I was there during their "high" season.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank abbyguy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed for an extended weekend and took the large, two bedroom suite. Very generous size and spacious BUT the furniture and carpets are really stained and dirty. The sink in one bathroom was blocked, but maintenance fixed if quickly. The staff are very good and helpful and courteous. Restaurant is usual fair and pricy got the choice offered. Overall an 'acceptable' place, but needs a good clean and updating. Starting to look its six year old age.

1 Thank Deanadamedge
Burnaby, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

I recently stayed at the Cove while on business in Kelowna. The property needs some TLC. The carpets in the common hallways are absolutely filthy. The carpet in my suite was also dirty, with several spotty areas. The real kicker was the lack of hot water. I mentioned this on day 4 of 6 and nothing was done. I mentioned it again on day 5 but when I returned from work there was still no hot water, even after running the water for some time to clear the cool stuff out of the system. They offered to switch me into another room but since I was checking out the next day I declined. I requested they review my bill and compensate me somehow. The manager said since I had such a good rate they couldn't reduce my bill and they hadn't charged me the daily resort fee for some reason. She offered me free breakfast and a dessert/coffee that night. She said maintenance fixed the problem and there was lots of hot water, you just had to let the taps run for a while to get the geothermal pump going. While I found this remarkable, I assured her I had let the taps run and there was still no hot water. She wouldn't budge so I took the restaurant vouchers. I will follow up with ownership. Whether I got a good deal or not, this wasn't satisfactory. Plus the prosecco tap wasn't working when I arrived on a Sunday and hadn't been fixed by Thursday.

Room Tip: Bring a yoga mat to lie on for your post exercise stretching. Avoid the carpeting.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank brnbygrl
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

While I'm not adverse to paying good money for a room, I have higher expectations when rooms are priced in the $300 per night range. I do not expect the room to have bare patches in the carpet, nor stains on the sofa. For a similar price, I could stay at the burrowing owl winery, and after speaking to several couples I think I will, the next time I'm in kelowna. I would recommend travelers steer clear of this experience. On the plus side, it may be good for families, as there are lots of amenities geared towards kids. The location is no where near the Mission Hill winery, so be careful what you read online.

1 Thank plucky017
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

Recent family visit - 8/13/2013 - 8/16/2013.
Great location but with so many other choices in town, the service should have met their price point. From the stains on the carpet, bees in my kids slushy mix to our several requests to move us away from the cigar smoke directly next to us......I was saddened by the lack of response by anyone. Not for lack of trying. I initiated some kind of response from the manager on our 2nd day, then a day later before we checked out AND then followed up with a phone call plus an email. I was repeatedly assured someone, like the manager, would get back to me. No one has still. In a time when vacationing with your family can be a luxury, best to spend your hard earned income in another establishment.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Central City
Best Western Plus Kelowna Hotel & Suites
Central City
Coast Capri Hotel Kelowna

Been to The Cove Lakeside Resort? Share your experiences!