“Hit and Miss”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in West Kelowna
Victoria, BC Canada
“Hit and Miss”
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a wedding, over a weekend. The rooms were great! Big king size beds in a condo type setting! Fully stocked kitchens, laundry, 1 1/2 bathrooms, fireplaces, dining suite, it was lovely. A couple of drawbacks though.. The powder room was dirty, blood spatters on the wall! I also had issues with my key card. For some reason, I had to continually get my key card reprogrammed. That being said, the room itself was very comfortable.
The lounge was really unsatisfactory. It was understaffed and the fellow serving was rude. He spoke to my 80 year old mother so rudely I was shocked. He made snide comments when asked for HOT coffee and if it had been in my power, I would have had him fired.
The restaurant was passable, our breakfast was not hot, the hash browns were undercooked potatoes. Our group of 9 were the only ones in the restaurant, and the service coukd have been better. The waitress refilled the coffee and it was noted some round floating debris like mould!! She did replace the cups but after finding slimy mould it makes you wonder how clean the coffee pot was. Breakfast for 9 cost over 150$.

Stayed November 2013
3 Thank Marcy M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
vancouver
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This is my second time back to the cove lakeside resort and I really like it and the staff is great. We had a room with a lakeview which was great but it is really noisy. We were on the 3rd floor and we could hear every footstep of the people upstairs. They woke me up in the middle the night with a heavy footstep above the bed.

I would recommend getting a top floor room and hopefully that will solve the problem.

Room Tip: Top floor to avoid overhead noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Aurora, Canada
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This is definitely a family resort so if you are looking for a romantic getaway - try somewhere else. Otherwise the rooms are large and equipped with a decent kitchen. The rooms however are a little dirty.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Richard D
Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stayed for 4 nights in September. Suite was excellent - very well equipped, bed linen was fresh and crisp, towels were soft and fluffy. Only criticism was marks on the carpet - but I understand (as an ex-hotelier) that a busy season unfortunately does not always allow for a room to be taken out of commission for carpet cleaning. However I am sure a quick clean could have been accommodated. Restaurant was very good. Had breakfast and dinner each day. Some days there were several dishes on menu which were not available, but excellent alternative specials were offered. Our whole dining experience was topped off by the excellent Yousef. He was extremely knowledgable about the local wineries (which as Europeans were not well known to us) and recommended some first class wines. Thank you Yousef (and apologies for drinking your last bottle of Myers!).

Room Tip: Had a suite with lake view - perfect.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue H
vancouver
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We went to a wedding at the resort and stayed for 2 nights. I had booked a "room" in the resort, which is mostly suites, but thought it would be fine as we would be out most of the time.
Turns out the "room" was the smallest hotel room I have ever seen, with no ice bucket, desk, or anything resembling a nice place to stay. It was, in fact an extra bedroom for a suite. I went to the desk to ask if there was another "room" that was bigger and to let them know I was unhappy. They let me know that these "rooms" were not going to be in the Resort Inventory as of 2014, but the only help for me was to "upgrade" for a minimum of $50 per night. They should NOT be renting these rooms, even for the "reduced rate" of $139, which turned out to be a VERY BAD CHOICE. The "Customer Satisfaction" person called to let me know the ONLY solution was an upgrade and she was anything but satisfying in her attitude. I had also requested a King Size bed, which was listed, but all of these rooms were queen size, which was NOT acceptable.
On the positive side, the people in the lounge were wonderful and the wedding was great, including the food. As it was late September, the pool wasn't open but looked inviting.
So, if you go, make sure to get a suite.

Room Tip: Get a suite on the water
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank tedsexcellentmusic
West Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Had the pleasure of staying at the Cove for over 2 months and were extremely pleased! Staff were always accomodating and were sure to point us in the direction of whatever was required. In the first couple of days, was in the gym and noticed the water cooler leaking and notified the front staff. They had maintenance there within minutes taking care of it! Gym had incredible lake views and the walkways around the resort are well kept and beautiful! The only bad point was the poor condition of the carpeting, needed to be cleaned badly! Spa is relaxing and enjoyable! Restaurant had excellent food with reasonable prices. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I went with my sister for a one night getaway. The resort itself is really nice and the room was good enough for us, although it was raining and there was an annoying drip outside our bedroom window all night! The restaurant is mediocre with big price tags. If I spend $30 for a dinner, in my mind, it should have some wow factor. We had supper and breakfast there...food seemed a bit bland.

The real disappointment was the hot tub. We got in and my eyes were burning a bit - that should have been my first clue. We stayed 20-30 minutes and when we got to our room we realized our bathing suits were completely ruined!!! Our skin was itchy and rashy for two days and smelled like chlorine for one day! I don't understand this - it has happened to me at hotels before - I seem to have really bad luck! Don't they check their chemicals??? I called down to the front desk as soon as we realized what was going on and they did offer us breakfast at the restaurant, which we accepted. That, however, certainly doesn't cover the cost of two new bathing suits! They claimed they also drained the hot tub after our complaint.

Overall - no need to go back with my husband...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Hotel Eldorado
#1 of 34 in Kelowna
Central City
Coast Capri Hotel Kelowna

Been to The Cove Lakeside Resort? Share your experiences!