“My best hotel experience ever”

The Cove Lakeside Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in West Kelowna
Reviewed 3 February 2010

It started with lots of parking, friendly efficient check in and mind blowing facilities--clean, 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, patio + large comfortable living space. It was late check in so I did not fully appreciate the view--when I woke facing the window what I saw was a park, large lake and mountains in the background. I thought I was dreaming.
Everything you need --workouts, long lakeside walks, hot tub and best of all lots of world class skiing less than an hour away (we drove to Big White three times, Crystal and Apex).
We were there for "Wine and Dine" week which gave us a chance to try several top restraunts and paired wines from the region. The 'Bonfire' right in the hotel was amoung the best...and very reasonable! The city of Kelowna had lots to offer as well--

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank liveandlaugh_10

Reviewed 1 October 2009

Upon check in we thought we'd booked ourselves into a full service facility: Hotel/Resort with a Restaurant, Spa-full service! It didn't take long to realize that the looks were deceiving. Our 2 bedroom over looking the pools and lake was clean at first glance, however there were stains on the carpets and furniture, mouse droppings and cobwebs on the balcony. We then began to open our eyes to the general lack of cleanliness through out the resort. The overhead lighting fixtures in the hallways contained a summer full of dead bugs and the outside patio area (pergola) off the restaurant had not been cleaned in months (plenty of webs containing more bugs).

The service in the restaurant was pleasant but slow. Upon discovering that none of the 4 BBQ's had electric lighters the staff was unable to locate anything to start the BBQ's: hence another night in a restaurant. For the price there's better in Kelowna than the Cove Resort (having lived in the city). The service is that of a rental pool not a resort/hotel, we had higher expectations. It is located on Gellatly Bay on Okanagan Lake which is a lovely location. The Resort needs to re-think its service levels to make a stay worth the price.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank tkbPrinceGeorgeBC
Reviewed 29 September 2009

We stayed for two nights at the this hotel and were very impressed.
The two bedroom suite was lovely - clean and spacious with a view of the lake from the balcony.We appreciated having a washer and dryer in the suite and the kitchen was useful for light meals and snacks.Enjoyed meals in the restaurant (breakfast and dinner) - it was very pleasant to have the option of eating on the patio and nice not to have to drive into town.
Staff were helpful.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2009

We booked this hotel at discounted rates and got a suite. Initially, the place looked great. However, as we soon discovered, appearances can be deceptive. When we booked in the reception was half hearted not particularly helpful. The suite was great - especially given that we had a good discount on the room - no complaints there. Equally, the restaurants, the pool, the promixity to the lake all was visually excellent. The first sign of this hotel not being guest friendly was our attempt to order food in the bar. The bar staff were massively understaffed and couldn't cope with orders - when I tried to order the barman tried to rush me through my order, my rude and initially just tried to remember my order. Finally, he angrily said, OK, I guess I better write it down. Once the food had been brought to the table we were unable to get any further service. We were also surprised at how noisy the hotel was and at the yob element.
The following day, we went out for the day and when we tried to return in the evening, there was a police road block in front of the hotel. We were told the hotel had been evacuated because of the nearby spreading forest fire. We asked what alternative arrangements the hotel had made and also asked if we could at least get our luggage, money and passports. We were told the hotel had made no arrangements and that we couldn't retrive our belongings. Instead we were told to phone the hotel who would help us. We tried phoning the hotel for the next three days ( we had nowhere to stay and very little money with us) and only got an engaged tone. We returned many times to the police road block expecting to find a hotel representative who would help us out - but the hotel management had all jumped ship. Finally, I complained to the visitor information centre who reported that they had had many similar complaints. They promised to take action and interestingly the next day we were allowed to return to the hotel and collect our belongings. Of course, the forest fire was no fault of the hotel, but they had made no effort whatsoever to advise, help or keep informed their guests. When I checked out of the hotel the reception staff couldn't have been more unfriendly. I said I had camped in our jeep with 2 young children for 3 nights, and they essentially said, so what, we've all had a hard time. To top it all, 4 weeks later I checked my credit card statement expecting to see a refund of the prepaid fees only to find they hadn't been automatically returned. It took several phone calls to make that happen. In short: this hotel looks good but there is no substance. Poor management

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2009

Had booked a Premium Suite located in the 4th floor, with 2 bedrooms. The suite is fully equipped, kitchen, 2 bathrooms, even a wine cooler, air condition, balcony with everything, great view on the lake and the environment. Bed very good, suite very clean.
A big LCD screen of 42'' is in the living room, also a fire place (virtual lightings only, but looks nice).
The hotel offers also 2 gas barbecues in the garden beside the pool for free usage by all guests. We did not try out the restaurant but the menue looked good. The environment is very quiet, the only noise in the evening is given by possibly late guests still using the pool (but this was not a real problem). The hotel is located in Westbank, nowaday also called West-Kelowna. It takes around 20 minutes by car to go to Kelowna. However, supermarket, liquor store, some restaurants and vineries are very close (5 - 10 mins per car). The reception is very helpful when asking them for good dining locations, etc.
The house keeping would need some improvement when making beds ... And the lift is really slow. But this minor points is the only critics we can make. Everything else really was great (and I am travelling a lot by business).

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2009

We stayed at the Cove for 5 nights. Our party consisted of my husband, my 2 young children (1 and 3) and my in-laws. Check in was smooth and staff was attentive during our stay. We stayed in a 2 bedroom and loft suite with 2 bathrooms. There was plenty of room for everyone. The kitchen was well equipped, the suite was clean and nicely decorated (and we are fussy). The kids pool was great, they especially liked the waterslide. They also spent time on the little beach area building castles. We took them to the games room but theyy weren't interested as I guess they are too young for that. My husband and I enjoyed the jacuzzi. We used the outdoor bbq which was great. We cooked dinner most nights, and enjoyed a nice walk by the marina after the kids went to sleep, followed by a glass of wine at the built in outdoor firepits overlooking the water. We had dinner at the restaurant once which was pretty good, and had drinks in the bar/lounge area one night. I would reccomend this place for a family vacation because it has a bit of everything. Location is great, and suites are ideal for a family or 2 couples. We had a great time.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2009

My family and I stayed at the Cove Lakeside Resort during the summer. I was not sure what to expect, but as soon as I walked in the hotel I was pleasantly surprised. The lobby was beautiful.

We had reserved a two bedroom suite. The room was layed out extremely well. There was a full on kitchen, two bathrooms, two bedrooms and a living room. The view from the balcony was amazing. You could see the pool and the Okanagan lake.

There were so many things to do at the resort. The resort provided a childrens camp from 9:30am to 4:30pm for an extra fee, and a goodwaterslide in the pool for the kids with optional kayak and boat rentals.

The beds were super soft and comfy. We all had great sleeps. There was a pull out bed in the sofa.

Our stay was lovely and I would recommend it to families. However, the cleaning staff should take greater care and be more thorough. The staff overall were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Central City
Best Western Plus Kelowna Hotel & Suites
Hotel Eldorado
#1 of 33 in Kelowna

Been to The Cove Lakeside Resort? Share your experiences!