“lovely quiet weekend”

Kemps Country House
Ranked #1 of 2 East Stoke B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Lovely family run hotel in a quiet location. The trains are a bit close but not a problem when indoors. Owners and staff all very friendly. Room was spacious, clean and the bed was comfortable. We had a double disabled room with a large wet room shower and huge bed. Excellent breakfast with plenty of variety (didn't need any lunch) and the evening meals are very high quality although limited menu and a bit pricey. The hotel was a bit pricey but the peacefulness/location made it worthwhile.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 May 2013

We had the family room .. very large room and nice bathroom. The hotel has also a restaurant with good food (limited choice on the menu). The location is nice and the hotel has a large parking lot.
Breakfast is very good with a large choice of food, including fish or more traditionnal English breakfast.
a really nice place ... just a little bit too expensive !

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Xavier B
Reviewed 7 May 2013

My son and I stayed here in twin room. We had declined to stay in Weymouth and needed somewhere not too far away. Overall a not a bad place. Clean and resonably well decorated if a little on the tired side. The shower room was very small and materials used were pretty basic. Air conditioning unit was a bit noisy as it fired up during the night. The only meal that we had there was breakfast which was pleasant enough. The coffee and tea selection were not the best. Might be an idea to have a small espresso style machine with capsules. Owner/manager was nice and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 May 2013

My wife and I had driven nearly 1000 miles over the previous week and needed a place to stay on the Saturday before meeting some friends in Corfe on the Sunday. How wonderful to find a country hotel like Kemps. We received a friendly welcome from the proprietor, Ian Devine, and were shown to one of the largest and best appointed rooms that we had seen for a long time. My wife was ecstatic about the en-suite bathroom. Breakfast was very good. We would be delighted to return.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Well placed for exploring the area, it's on the A352 between Wool and Wareham, not in the village of East Stoke, so as a previous writer says there is some road and rail noise. Hospitality was very good.a The room we were in was clean and tidy but starting to show signs of age. As stated on another post, the duvet was awful and they really should replace these as a matter of urgency as we did not have a good nights sleep because they aren't very warm. Breakfast was freshly prepared and very good.

A fine place for a stop over if your exploring the area. I wouldn't pay full price, for that I would expect hotel staffing, not guest house facilities.

Also on a personal note I hate lotions so if you like Soap to wash with bring your own. I usually do but for some reason I forgot this time.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Paul C
Reviewed 10 April 2013

We spent a week here. The staff were friendly and helpful. I am on dialysis and a lot of equipment arrived in advance. There were fine with this and made sure I had everything I needed. the room was large and comfortable with a large en suite bathroom.

The food was nicely cooked with quite a wide range of choices. My only complaint was they tended to give large portions so I didn't always do justice to the food.

Room Tip: If you have a smallish appetite don't have a starter!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We chose this guest house partly on the basis of really positive reviews, I have to say I must be missing something because for the life of me I cannot see why there are so many great reviews. The place is OK and just that, I certainly do not believe it is worth anything near the cost of the room (£130 per night). I note that the only response from the owners to some of the less than favourable reviews was to point out that this place is not a hotel, indeed it isn't but it is advertised as 5* guest accommodation and I've stayed it much nicer places of equivalent or lesser rating. It's a bit dated, especially in the lounge and dining areas which are awash with '70s looking carpets and chairs, the bedrooms, whilst exceptionally clean, are bland and quite basic and without double glazing so the noise from the (very close by) main road is audible as is the noise from the nearby rail line. We stayed for two nights and I can honestly say the first night was one of the most uncomfortable I have experienced. On arrival at our room I noticed the rather sad and flat looking pillows and asked for another one, which was provided quickly and without fuss but even with three pillows it was rather like laying on a flat concrete slab. On getting into bed I realised the duvet seemed to be made from really lumpy chunks of padding so some bits of the duvet were totally flat and others were clumped up. It truly was horrible and I barely slept. There was a number for emergencies and even I know that a lumpy duvet at midnight is not an emergency, so I did not contact reception until the morning. As I was awake most of the night, morning did not come soon enough! Again the staff were polite and a new duvet was provided, with comments "Oh that's the winter duvets, they're horrible aren't they?" Yes! It was, so why put it on the bed? It surely can't be that hard when making up a bed to note the duvet resembled an alpine mountain scene and NOT put it on the bed! I'm truly not overly fussy but I do expect a decent night's sleep having paid this much. If equipment/soft furnishings etc are past their best don't use them! The bathroom was good although the toilet positioned a few inches facing a wall was interesting. From the corridor there was a lovely view of an old storage unit and several old plastic chairs stacked up.
We ate in the restaurant, which was by and large OK but having chosen prawn cocktail (in keeping with the 70's decor!) I was somewhat surprised to note really tasteless and seemingly cheap prawns had been used. Breakfast was alright, scrambled eggs weren't the best and the scrambled eggs with smoked salmon were odd, very pale looking with bits of what seemed to be cooked salmon mixed within, I'm not sure if there is such a thing as ready made scrambled eggs with smoked salmon which just gets reheated but if there is I reckon that's what was used.
I have to say the staff were polite and helpful and had we paid less I would have been a great deal happier but it's not worth the prices charged, I appreciate I seem to be in the minority here and this is just my opinion (as all reviews are) but for two rooms for two nights with meals we spent over £600 (and that was with a discount on booking) and I really don't think that represents anywhere need good value for what we got. I did not check us out but no one at reception asked how our stay had been, I will be contacting the owners directly to provide feedback. One minor point and I do get the "joke" but... on the door to reception there was a sign along the lines of "I can only help one person a day and today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either" Really? In a "hotel" reception, maybe not the best of first impressions!

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are located in an annexe, not directly attached to the main house. Our rooms were...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Hotel du Vin Poole
Hotel du Vin Poole
#2 of 13 in Poole
Holiday Inn Express Poole

Been to Kemps Country House? Share your experiences!