“Clean and Tidy”

Ranked #1 of 2 East Stoke B&B and Inns
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Clean and Tidy”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We spent 3 nights here and on the whole it was a good experience.

On the plus side our rooms were very spacious. The bed was comfy and a nice selection of teas etc. As it was a chilly few days the heater was made use of and kept the room at a comfortable temperature.

We did eat here on the first night and the meal was ok, nothing special. We found the service at breakfast rather erratic. On the first morning one of our party had to wait for 45 minutes for her cooked breakfast. This was blamed on the chef. I suspect it was due to the waiter mixing up the orders.

I would stay here again but would eat out.

Room Tip: Room numbers 1&2 are next to the stairs and can be noisy.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jellycat11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We booked to stay here for two nights in order to visit Monkey World prior to moving on to spend a week on North Devon. We found a rather traditional, West Country guest house that was clean, welcoming and as it turned out rather better than we expected.

The rooms were delightful, and very well appointed and although austere, the dining area was pleasantly appointed. The food took everything to an other level, being of the standard of upmarket restaurant, very pleasing.

Breakfasts also had everything one could wish for and all served by attentive and helpful staff.

All in all well worth recommending.

Prior to booking, we had read many negatived reviews, "unfriendly welcome", "noisy road", "railway too near" and so on, quite frankly, these must be from the sort of people who watch television too much and never travel, none of these were a concern. I'd say gorget the reviews and have a punt, Kemps might not be an Abode Hotel but then neither are their prices, well worth a visit if you are in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Rooms newly furnished,large bedroom,very good facilities. Menus and food excellent .The staff very friendly and helpful. Ample parking . A good centre for a number of golf clubs and Corfe Castle coastal area.

Room Tip: We had a room in the annex ,which has been added recently .
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Kemp's is a large house with extra accommodation in the form of chalets to one side. You see this comment occasionally on Trip Advisor "it reminded me of Fawlty Towers". And it did! But only in the general look and decor of the place. There is certainly no Basil Fawlty careering around insulting all the guests. The staff are very polite and friendly. The rooms in the main building are large and well appointed. We were in a room which overlooked the front of the hotel and if I had a minor complaint it would have been the noise from the busy A road Kemps is situated on. Most of the main building still has wooden frame single glazed windows so be prepared for some traffic noise. That said, it was never so bad that we were overly conscious of it.
We only dined there once in the evening but the service was quick, the food prepared to a high standard and the service excellent. Kemps is close to some of Dorset's prime attractions such as Lulworth Cove, Monkey World and the Tank Museum at Bovington. Kemps describes itself as five star. It's certainly not that but it is worth a stay if you want friendly, prompt service and somewhere comfortable to rest your head.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 623alfie
Bournemouth
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Went to Kemps Country House for the first time to eat with my partner, and was amazed by the spectacular views across meadows and nicely furnished rooms. We were sat down in the bar initially for drinks whilst our table was done of where we ordered our food of Salmon and Tagliatelle main course which was absolutely beautiful and probably the best Salmon I'd ever tasted. Service was fast and food tasted absolutely perfect and well presented. Would certainly recommend this to all my friends and family

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank apriliadaz
Staffordshire, England
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed for three nights at Kemps Country House Hotel and chose it because of its location, although it was farther away from Wareham than I was expecting. The hotel is very well presented, clean and well furnished. The staff are friendly and professional, although there was no reception desk - Reception was the office. My room was large, with a king sized bed and good quality bed linen and towels. However, there was no bath, and the room was really small, there was cloakroom furniture in there. I would have liked to have a bath after being out walking all day. The room smelled musty and the heated towel rail was never heated.

On their website, they advise you to book a table for dinner, as it gets very busy, so I booked a table well in advance on my first evening. I was the only one in the dining room and was there from 7.30 until 8.15 alone. It was freezing cold, I got to my room and turned the radiators up to thaw out. There didn't appear to be any heating on anywhere in the hotel. The food was good and well presented and a reasonable price and I can't fault the service. I dined in the hotel again on my last night, this time I didn't notice it being so cold, but the only other people eating were the proprietor and friends/staff.

Breakfast is taken in the conservatory and is plentiful, well cooked and presented. Unfortunately, they let themselves down by covering the damask linen tablecloths with plastic-covered tissue, which is sprayed over and wiped down when somebody vacates the table. It gives the impression of a canteen or a child's table.

All in all, I wouldn't stay again, there were a couple of things I was uncomfortable with, apart from the breakfast table cloths and being cold - you couldn't check in until 3pm, the front door was locked, it was as if the place was only open part-time. Check out was 10.00am, which I thought was a bit early. Although the car park was full, I didn't saw anybody (except at breakfast), obviously the guests preferred to use it as a b&b, which is essentially what it is. In both the lounge and bar the furniture was arranged in a way that reminded me of an old people's home! I also think it is overpriced.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank BranstonGirl
Margate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My husband & I have just finished a 2 night break at Kemps, having chosen it because of it's locality to several major attractions in the area. We found the accommodation top notch, very clean and well presented. The staff were all extremely pleasant, efficient & helpful. The food (both breakfast & evening meal) was first rate with a good menu offered. The lounge & bar area were comfortable, ideal for relaxing, with books & games available had we wanted to make use of them. My only possible suggestion to improve on near perfection would be to suggest including herbal teas both as part of the menu & as an extra choice of refreshment in the rooms. We can easily recommend and will look to stay again next time we are in the area.

• Stayed April 2014
#1 of 2 in West Lulworth
The Green House
The Green House
#6 of 66 in Bournemouth

Been to Kemps Country House? Share your experiences!