“Mixed Bag”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Kissonerga
Lancing, United Kingdom
“Mixed Bag”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Just returned from an 11 night holiday in this hotel with my wife after a recommendation from a friend and reading many positive reviews. It turned out to be a bit of a mixed bag really with positives and negatives. Firstly the good points and there were many. The hotel is kept spotlessly clean both inside and out and is in a wonderful location overlooking the sea. All the staff we met were lovely and worked very hard. Outside pool is wonderful and like a warm bath when you get in. Plenty of space and sun beds with no need to put towels out to reserve at 6am. All inclusive deal is good value and breakfast is very good with numerous hot and cold options. Lunch however is not so good with boring salad selections and hot options some of which look like the previous nights dinner leftovers re-heated. Evening meals are repetitive consisting of the same salads served at lunchtime, hot options mostly chicken or pork, pasta dishes floating in liquid with potatoes if your lucky. most nights there was neither a sauce or gravy available so the meal was very dry. We also noticed that while the food was warm it was never hot. Puddings went as soon as they were put out and the cheeseboard looked like a bomb had exploded on it by the end of the evening. Then there are the Russians!!! who seem to flock here in large numbers. They are rude, they try to get in the lifts before you can get out. They pile food on there plates till they cant carry any more and then leave half of it on the table. Its such a shame because I am sure this used to be a very nice hotel which still seems to bring back returning guests year after year. Will I be one of them no probably not.

Room Tip: Avoid school holiday times unless you have children. choose a rear room with lovely sea views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peachie48

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Greek first
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Queens Bay hotel is a lovely hotel. Staff are very attentive and really look after you. Rooms clean and comfortable. Plenty of sun beds around the extremely clean pool. Food excellent with plenty of choices. If you are looking for a nice relaxing break then I can highly recommend Queens Bay

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Moya L
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Just returned from a fantastic week at this hotel. I can't understand why this is a 3star plus, it really should be 4!!!. The hotel is spotlessly clean, I paid for a sea view and was lucky enough to be given a room with a huge terrace, that had its own sun beds as well. The bed was lovely and comfy and the air con very good.The welcome I received was very warm and I felt at home here straight away. The food is ok,and I could always find something to eat, however there is no show cooking etc and if you are looking for this, then you would be disappointed. I used to eat from the bar menu after 3pm for my lunch, as I found the food here was lovely. The staff are very helpful and always happy to serve you, this is said with the exception of one female member of the bar staff by the pool, who was rude and in my opinion let the rest of her colleagues down. The location is out of Paphos, but the bus service is so easy to use, and you can catch a bus every 10 mins into Paphos harbour, or go the other way and 7mins later you are in Beautiful Coral Bay. I went for a relaxing holiday and this was exactly what I got in beautiful surroundings,the sea views from this hotel are outstanding and the sunset's are unmissable!. Would I return to this hotel? Let me think about that for a nano second....YES DEFINATELY !!!!!. Thank you QBH for a wonderful holiday!!!

Room Tip: Definately pay that bit extra for a sea view room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank whitby2217
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

I booked Queens Bay because I needed a quiet and relaxing break and the reviews described Queens Bay as being a great place for this. I wasn't disappointed and absolutely loved my break. I traveled on my own and loved the relaxed feel of the hotel. All the staff were wonderful and were there to help if you needed it. The rooms were clean and had everything that was needed apart from a fridge to put drinks but with cold drinks at the bar it wasn't an issue. I liked the fact that a lot of the guests at Queen's Bay are returning, it has a lovely family feel to it. There were a lot of activities to do during the day from archery to pool basketball so if you wanted something to do then it was easy to get involved and meet new people if you wanted to. If not it's very easy to collapse by the pool and just switch off for your holiday. There are plenty of areas to sit, some around the pool and others in the gardens around the hotel.
I went All Inclusive which was fine. The buffet style dinner wasn't great but the bar does do food from 3pm-5:30pm so ordering something from there was a much better option and you got a large portion which lasted you through the evening.
If you want to watch the sunset then Queen's Bay is perfectly situated for an end of the evening cocktail sitting out on the veranda watching the sun go down. Queen's bay also puts on entertainment every night. Not my sort of thing but perfect for those with families or who want an evening at the hotel.
To get out and about it's easy to get into Paphos on the local buses. It's 1.50 euros (each way) to go to the Harbour and the bus stop is on the road outside the hotel. The buses are all air conditioned which is needed in the heat. It's definitely worth a trip down to the harbour. You should go and visit the ancient mosaics when you're down there. If you're staying for any length of time it would be worth hiring a car and going exploring, this is something I'll be doing on my next visit.
I loved my stay at Queen's Bay and will definitely be recommending it to others. The only downside was the fact that there weren't any areas where you could get free wifi. Most hotels offer a communal area for free wifi but at Queen's Bay you have to buy to connect to wifi. There are plenty of bars that offer free wifi outside the hotel though. The gym was also all locked up so I wasn't able to use that. 2 very small blips in what was a very relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: If you can, ask for a sea view room. The view over the pool and the sea is so relaxing, plus in the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank KTSerendipity
Queens B, Guest Relations Manager at Queen's Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to post a review.
Free Wi-fi is something we are considering, but having spoken with other hoteliers they say that when too many guests use the system at once it becomes extremely slow, but we shall see what we can do.
We do have the gym locked but this is for security/safety reasons so that we know who is using the gym at any given time. Any guest wishing to use the gym need only ask at Reception for the key.
I am pleased to see that you had a very relaxing holiday and we hope you return to the Queens Bay Hotel at some time in the future.
Kind regards
Yvonne Sakels
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Myself and my fiancé stayed at the queens bay for 2 weeks from the 20th June. We are 28 and 31 years old. We are regular travellers and consider ourselves to be easily pleased. The hotel on initial impressions was perfect and we wanted a quiet getaway and were not bothered about entertainment. However this hotel turned out to be a huge disappointment particularly as my fiancé contracted serious food positioning and resulted in him having to go to hospital as soon as we landed. I also had an upset stomach for the entire time and I normally have an iron stomach. We ordered the seafood salad one day from the snack menu and the prawns still had the brown waste pipe running through the prawns, the sausages at breakfast were raw In the middle on many an occasion. The food in itself was so repetitive and we are both again very easily pleased food wise and very open minded but this was hugely disappointing. The pancakes on the other hand at breakfast are yummy!
The entertainment.....the guy from animation should be retired he is past it and is actually quite rude when you don't want to join in with activities and on more than one occasion called myself and my fiancé boring when actually we work hard all year and want to be left alone. That job should be done by a young person, all he does all day is sit and smoke and drink frappes. In the 2 weeks we were here they had an act that was on 5 times, take 2......they were horrendous and absolute cheese on toast. The entertainment was dia but to be honest we entertained ourselves.
Also with regard to dinner time unless you tip, the staff won't let you sit where you want there is a waiter Antonio who in particular is VERY rude and actually stands next to you Whilst your eating when your trying to have a quiet meal with a booming great voice shouting. Antonio has no understanding of personal space and literally walked into me several times when I was holding a plate, he is far too busy looking out for the people that have tipped him and doesn't want to know you unless you have. Both my partner and I Felt he was very very rude. He tries to usher you onto tables that have been reserved and we were moved and told tables were reserved for other couples.
The room in itself was basic but clean however if you want to have a cup of tea in the room don't expect you mugs to be cleaned for 2 weeks. We paid for a sea view and I have to say it was worth every penny the sunsets were incredible.
We are not the type of couple to moan or ever write a bad review but I have to say this food poisoning tipped it for us, my fiancé is still recovering and to be honest we couldn't wait to get home which is unlike us.
Evelyn, Dinos, and Pambos are fantastic and a credit to the hotel. Dinos makes fantastic cocktails and the cocktail menu at the hotel is more than sufficient. Would we ever return....NO!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank EmilyRayner16
We feel the necessity to reply to this review. As management and staff, we are doing everything we can to ensure that everyone enjoys their holiday with us, which unfortunately was not the case with you and we are sorry about that. We respect everyone’s opinion, how extreme, unfair or even unfounded that might be. However, we cannot accept making such extremely serious and damaging accusations about food poisoning. The hotel follows very strict Health and Safety Regulations and approximately 350 people have our breakfast and 250 our dinner every day, if there was a problem they would have similarly been affected.
With regards to our staff we have very loyal and valued members of staff, many of who have been with us for many years and is one of the main reasons we attract about 1200 repeat clients from the British market each year of which we are very proud . Your point about ‘tipping’ is the first complaint of that nature we ever had about any member of staff and especially Antonis in the 20 years that he is with us. Similarly, Khaled our animator is actually very popular with our guests and especially our repeat clients who take great enjoyment in his dry sense of humour when playing boules or archery.
Finally, Take 2 of course cannot suit all tastes, but in general are extremely popular with the majority of guests as previous reviews on Trip Advisor might prove, and even bring along their own following.
Yvonne Sakels
birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week with my boyfriend 21st of June till the 28th. We had such an amazing time. The place is beautiful and so close to everything a simple 15 minute bus journey to either the harbour or coral bay. The staff were so friendly and couldn't do enough for you! The food was lovely, my only moan would be that it isn't labelled at lunch time so I kept asking the staff what was what LOL. We were all inclusive and c plant complain about the food or drink. There's so much and something for everyone. I especially loved the lamb and the desserts. The pool area is lovely and there are such lovely views over the sea. The pool side bar is easy access and the staff are so friendly. We stayed in room 204 and had a sea view was so beautiful every morning. We went with Thompson and booked a few excursions which were all brilliant! Towel change is as you request too. And the air con in the room was brilliant. I felt so safe here too. Left my jewellery out the one day on the dresser to come back to a sparkling clean room from the maids cleaning it and not touching one off my belongings. Thank you Queens bay for such an amazing week . We will be returning!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank treezy12
Etten-Leur, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have stayed here for three nights in june 2014. Htel receptionist is very friendly and caring. Room is nice, but not special. Because we had a family room wit h the neighbours (who travelled not with us) there was moee noice. Very good beds and pillows! Nice bathroom, small balconee and very bad tv reception. Hotel aims on all-inclusive guests from Russia and England, which is less attractive for overnight guests.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ArjanvR
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissonerga
Cynthiana Beach Hotel
Avlida Hotel
#37 of 90 in Paphos
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,006 reviews
Aquamare Beach Hotel & Spa

Been to Queen's Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!