“LOVELY HOTEL, LOVELY STAFF, LOVELY HOLIDAY (DOES WHAT IT SAYS ON THE PACKET!)”

and 1 more site!
Atlantica Golden Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Kissonerga
London
“LOVELY HOTEL, LOVELY STAFF, LOVELY HOLIDAY (DOES WHAT IT SAYS ON THE PACKET!)”
Reviewed 30 June 2011

I booked this hotel as it was couples only and wanted to get away with my husband for a nice relaxing but fun break and that is what we got. The hotel is lovely we had a superior room overlooking the pool and the sea which was fantastic. All the staff here go out of their way to do everything for you, waiter service round the pool for drinks all day long, and in the evening whilst sitting outside or watching the entertainment nothing is too much trouble. The Thomson rep who presented the welcome meeting is brilliant and so knowledgable and a special mention to Matt and Nicola who organise the daytime and evening activities their enthusiasm is infectious and they are good at what they do and it is a way of getting to socialise with other people in the hotel (only if you want to no pressure to join in anything). Evening entertainment was what you expect on a package deal not Broadway or the West End but good fun entertainment. I disagree with the comment about it being Hi de Hi - you are not obliged or hassled to join in anything and if you want peace and quiet you can sunbathe on the grassy areas near the beach. The announcements are not all day long in your face at all and I even said to my husband that a little music around the pool would not go amiss. If you want a holiday where you can chill out, join in activities (only if you want to) be waited on and socialise with people and enjoy yourself then this is brilliant. Yes the hotel is remote but acess by the bus is easy and we went into paphos on the bus and although crowded the nearer you get to Papos it was fine and everyone on the bus entered into the spirit of it. I would definately recommend this hotel to friends and family and would like to say to the 'moaners' out there 'that a holiday is only as good as you make it". Thank you to everyone at the Atlantica Golden Beach and to everyone we met. (if you are the guy who asked me if I had a photo of you on stage dressed in a gold jacket with the entertainer working your arms then email me I have a photo which I will email to you, we did try to find you before we left but had to rush off). Thanks to everyone we met it was lovely getting to know you all.
Perry and Sharon x

5 Thank ShalPel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (765)
Lancs
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We returned to this hotel as we had enjoyed our previous experience so much. I admit to being staggered by some recent reviews and would like to set the record straight from my point of view (just my opinion, of course). Firstly, with regards to opinions expressed so far, out of 362 reviews, 293 regarded their experience as either "very good" or "excellent": that is a smidging over 80%. Either, we all really enjoyed the holiday and were truthful in our reviews, or we are misguided or dishonest; I'll let you decide which is the most likely.

A few have commented on the "Hi-di-hi" atmosphere. Certainly, when we were there, there were, at any given time, between 30 and 40 people playing the games (including myself) and in our first week, at 58, I was one of the older ones. Whilst I can understand that the mic announcements or the laughter might put some people off, as others have said, there are plenty of areas away from any disruption (my wife prefers to read). Still, it's horses for courses and some will never like the games or quizzes. However, one final point on this, to my knowledge, the games and quizzes have always been a feature of "Gold" whichever hotel you go to. I understand that "Couples" is more laid back, so might be worth trying ('though not for me, thanks).

With regards to the reps, Matt and Nicola, they are the best and most professional we have seen, by day and by night. Indeed, when they linked up with Jinx for their own show, it was as good, if not better, than the Thomson Production Team, whose tribute to the Jersey Boys was excellent itself. We also thought that Kelly's vocals (Jinx) were very good and on most nights, after the act, the dance floor was full.

We thought that some of the acts were ok, some ropey and some pretty good (the magicians certainly were).

The food is ok too. I would prefer more veggy options, but I always found something good to eat and the food in the a la carte restaurant is definitely not the same as the buffet restaurant. We dined in there with 4 friends and all thoroughly enjoyed it.

Over the years, we have been to many exceptional hotels. Some were definitely more sumptuous than the Beach and others had better food, but none had a better vibe and none had more friendly and efficient staff, 'though there are great staff all over, of course.

What makes "Gold" enjoyable for us, and particularly the "Beach", are the lovely people we have met and many of those, though not all, were either quizzers or gamers. The games are just a bit of fun, as are the Baftas; if you win a game, you get a prize, but I don't think anyone's that fussed. On this point, hi to Andy, Peter and Tricia who were all there when we were and have made their own reviews.

The bottom line is that we are all different (thank goodness) and each and everyone of us must come to our own conclusions about this hotel; we have, and are returning in November!

4 Thank FlashG123
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We had already booked and paid for a superior sea view room and upgraded to all inclusive which was well worth it. If you haven't booked with a travel agent you can also upgrade to All Inclusive direct with the hotel. Another nice touch is that if you are on AI and you want to go out for the day they will arrange a pick nick for you, just pre book the night before. This is a Thomson Gold Hotel and as such it seemed to attract mainly older couples. They were a few younger ones who were a bit bored because the bars/entertainment (which also was excellent) finished at 12pm and the location is fairly quite . The food was good and a nice touch was that at lunch and dinner you could order either 1/2 a bottle or a full bottle of red, white, rose of fairly decent house wine which was part of the all inclusive. The best thing was the staff and service - genuine happy people who wanted to make your stay as pleasureable as possible. Nothing was too much trouble and on my birthday they put balloons on our door and a bottle of bubbly in our room. In the evening when we went to the A la carte restaurant, I ordered a dessert and then the lights went down and the staff brought out a birthday cake with candles and everyone sang happy birthday - we didn't know this was going to happen and it was a lovely gesture - it made our evening!! Matt & Nicola the Thomson entertainment "team" are great - they both work really hard to make sure you have a lovely holiday. Would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and we will certainly return again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to all inclusive - worth every penny.
2 Thank fishingCambridge_UK
Surrey
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We have just returned from a week long holiday here (June 2011) and contary to all the other reviews about how wonderful this hotel is, we shall never be back, and even more so, we shall never holiday with Thomson again.

Firstly the hotel, don't get me wrong, it is OK, its clean, the staff are friendly, it has good food and a nice bar and is all you need from a holiday.

But also what it is, is like stepping into your TV in the mid 1980's and experiencing first hand Hi De Hi - it is so much like a holiday camp it is un-true, and maybe based on everyone elses review, this works, but not for me, so I just want to let people know just how bad it is. From 10am onwards you have the reps, with their cheesy voices urging you to get in the pool and do some "exercises". Then at 11am you can make paper dragons and swans, then at midday its cheese tasing, then bowls, then darts and then to top it all off at 4pm a quiz, which has so many wrong answers in it, it would seem impossble to win it. Then Jinx come out to play sing some lovely tunes from 8pm onwards, its at this point that you uinderstand the Simon Cowell comment of "you sound like hotel entertainers!" Then there are the Baftas, the what.... where one of the reps says thank to all the wonderful people who joined in with the pointless exercises (ALL the people?!? - one morning there was 3 people!!!) Then there is some other act at about 10pm, a magaician, or a comedian who pinched his jokes from the 1970's, or the worst of the lot, the reps singing songs from the West End and then once that pain has gone, Jinx return for another hour... All I can say is thankfully noise pollution restricts them from playing past midnight and thankfully we had a room on the back of the hotel overlooking a dusty area and main road. Also, look forward to the special gala night, where all of the staff and trundled out and everyone says what a great hotel this is and how wonderful that staff are, except the only problem here is its the staff and managers that are doing the talking.

The reps themselves try hard. but I do fear that this is where the problem lies, I think its them who is reinforcing the Hi De Hi status. If they could only realise that in 2011 things have moved on, then maybe this hotel could.

Then onto the restaurant, as I said the food is very nice, but day after day, night after night, the same food every day every night the same food, every day and every night the same food every day and every night!! You see, repetition is rather boring isn't it.. You can always look forward to Italian night, what makes it Italian I hear you ask, 3 pizzas and then the same old food!! Service is good though, and you don't have to wait long for your drinks and the choice of drinks is good, but the food, did I mention its the same every night!! There is also the Al la carte restaurant, I wouldn't bother with this as the food is the same, but you are stuck in there as its waiter service so you can't get away and with us, they decided to leave a gap of 45 seconds between each course apart from main to dessert where they left about 30 minites and we just sat there like lemons wiating!!

Then there is the pool area and the beds, it is stated somewhere that you can't reserve a bed before 8am, well make sure you get up at 7am, as otherwise there are no beds left anywhere. Around the pool there is nowhere near enough beds for everyone, so you have to get up early to grab one, otherwise you are stuck on the grass area or by the beach - the pool, in my opinion, is the favourable area. The pool itself is nice, but not big enough for the amount of people, as when half of the people get in it, you can't swim or float or do anything other than stand there or you bump into someone! And watch out for 4pm when they switch the jets off, as then all the scum and muck floats and settles on the top of the pool and you think why have I been swimming in that all day!!

Rooms are basic, we had twin beds, even though we asked for double, we had the first floor, even though we asked for a higher floor and when we asked for what we wanted, we were told none were available! But its a just a room, so all you do is sleep in it, so it is what it is! Its basic, you have to pay for the safe, pay for the fridge, pay extra for a view, but whatever you do don't get a pool view as otherwise you will be stuck with Jinx all night long ruining a Neil Diamond or BoneyM song (Current eh!!)

The hotel itself is quite remote, but there are buses, VERY overcrowded or cabs, about a £10 and 10 minutes to get to Paphos harbour - where you can have some nice food!

As for never holidaying with Thomson again, thats to do with the flights more so, as they were just the smallest seats and most crowded plane I have EVER been on. if you are 6 foot or more, AVOID at all costs.

So thats the true review, would I return, not in a million years, and hats off to the people who have been for 11 years on the trot, each to their own and all that, but I beg of you look somewhere else, you will be amazed at what else you can find!

As I said at the beginning, maybe its me and maybe this hotel is just not right for me and my wife, but this review is 100% truthful and accurate, so please don't be swayed by the reviews about this being the best hotel in the world, as if you have only been to one hotel in 11 years, what else can you compare against! Look around and try somewhere else!!

8 Thank Joak99
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Well what a review from Joak99!
I spent 2 weeks at the hotel at the beginning of June and had a fantastic holiday
From the moment we arrived all staff were friendly & efficient We were greeted by Julie the receptionist who gave us a lovely welcome & even remembered our names on our next visit to reception
Our room was lovely, spacious with a double bed & sea view. I suppose if you don’t want a basic room you pay for an upgrade!
I am amazed about the comment regarding Sun beds, whilst we were there, there were plenty of beds & the hotel was full
The entertainment team, Nicola Matt Kellie & Andy were excellent. They were very friendly & professional and did their best to ensure their guests enjoyed their holidays. We never heard a bad word said about them whilst we were there
The organised games etc are a fun way of people getting to know one another . Many guest go to Gold hotels because they offer this form of entertainment & the aforementioned team were the best we have ever had
Thompsons advertise this hotel as having organised daytime activities. If that is not your thing why book a Thompsons Gold?! There is a small grassed area by the sea that you could go to if you want peace & quiet
I am a fussy eater & I found something to my taste every day. The omelettes made while you went in the Taverna at lunchtime were delicious & I don’t normally eat omelettes (worth a try!)
The Taverna is a lovely setting for lunch & the service once again is very good
The Bar service was excellent. Thank you to Ciprion who deserves a special mention
Buses run from outside the hotel and are only 2 euros for a daily ticket so you can hop on & off. They did get full but we were at a holiday resort! They are also very clean
If you have booked this hotel for a relaxing holiday with friendly efficient staff & good entertainment you will have a great time.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Superior Room
5 Thank Tricia1CheshireUK
Kent
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We stayed here during June and from the moment we walked into the hotel we were made to feel very welcome. We were offered champagne while our bags were taken to our room, then had a brief but informative chat from the Management on the way the hotel ran meant we felt we were not going to be walking round like headless chickens looking for the bars, restaurants, toilets etc.

The standard of our room was great (room 445) overlooking the pool and direct views of the sea - we even had a bottle of chamagne waiting for us when we entered. Towels for both the room and pool area are available, the pool towels get changed twice a week meaning you don't need to take your own.

The food was great, fantastic choices with both international and local food all being served hot and fresh. The services of all the staff was to a very very high standard and nothing was too much trouble for them.

The pool and surrounding gardens are lovely, the grass areas with plenty of shade meant you could hide away and listen to the sea gently lapping up onto the shingle beach but still feel part of the entertainment that was going on in the pool and terrace. The bar staff at the pool were everywhere, ensuring you never had to worry about water, coke, beer or whatever drink you wanted during the day.

The Thomson reps were available at all times and the daily entertainment staff were very friendly. The entertainment was fun and varied with an end of day quiz - with a prize of champagne for the winners (not us on any of the 10 days we spent there...!!) The evening entertainment was a good mix, the best being the British Comedians who had the audience in bits (advise to all - don't get up during the act to go to the loo)

All in all, a great holiday, possibly the best holiday/hotel that we have stayed in. While the location might not be to everyones liking there is a bus stop outside which takes you to Coral Bay (left) and Paphos Town (right) for only 2 euros for an all day travel pass so if you are looking for a hotel that is classy with a high standard of quality then this might be the holiday for you.

One point worth noting is that all men need to wear trousers for dinner, however you can then change into shorts for the bars and entertainment. I didn't find this a problem, a good pair of linen trousers and you didn't notice the difference.

I

Room Tip: Get a sea view for sun on your balcony in evening
5 Thank tofters
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We've recently for back from this hotel and it was fab. When we first arrived in Cyprus there was some confusion and we got moved to a different hotel (which was awful). It got sorted out really quickly and the hotel and Thomson more than made up for it all. We had a room upgrade, champagne, fruit, complimentary safe and late check out room and compensation.

The hotel itself is lovely. The staff (Alex around the pool and Nicoletta in lobby bar) are so friendly and fun. Everyone is friendly and say hello.

The age of most of the guests is 40+ but that was fine with us as it was more relaxing with no loud thumping music into the early hours, (unlike the other hotel). We also found that most of the guests were friendly and chatty and would look out for each other.

We enjoyed all of the food served and the tea and cake in the afternoon is nice and relaxing to break the day up.

You can hop on a bus just outside the hotel and for €2 you can get a return ticket that allows u to hop and off the bus as much as u would like.

We will definitely be returning to this hotel. It was our most favourite holiday and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissonerga
The King Jason Paphos
#3 of 4 in Kissonerga
Louis Imperial Beach
Louis Imperial Beach
#5 of 88 in Paphos

Been to Atlantica Golden Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!