All reviews wedding reception wedding venue wedding breakfast lovely location beautiful grounds set menu evening meal plenty of parking bristol val disco countryside motorway
Reviewed 31 December 2011

It took us nearly an hour to find this hotel as there is a road closure and diversion signs had not been put up as advertised. There were some but not continuous and sat nav does not take you through easiest route. On arrival the place looked lovely with immaculate grounds and a well kept exterior, but trying to check in was where things started to go wrong. The computers were down and so they couldn't check us in. After 30 minutes they decided to do the check in manually and at last we had keys to our room. The room was spacious and clean, with en suite and flat screen TV. The wireless internet costs extra which we weren't aware of but as we were getting away from it all for the weekend it wasn't needed. Dinner in the restaurant was very good and well presented. The wine list lacking in German wines but we found one that was Ok if a little pricey.
On the first night I found the bed was uncomfortable as it was too hard for me and I could feel the springs, so I wasn't having a good sleep when the fire alarm went off at 3.30am. We left our room in just our nightwear and went down the fire escape to assemble in the front grounds. It was -2C with frost on the grass and we were out there for 1 hour whilst the fire brigade came and checked all the areas for fire. It was found to be a broken fire alarm point possibly caused by a drunk guest (there had been a Xmas party downstairs the night before).
The next day were were very tired and not in the best of moods, so it rather detracted from our quiet weekend away. We decided to have dinner in Bristol the next evening and when we got back to the hotel we joked with some fellow guests in the bar that we hoped we get a good nights sleep tonight.
I was having a better sleep as I was so tired from the night before when at 4.45am the fire alarm went off again. We again went outside to the fire point, to be told that it was a false alarm and to go back to our room. Once we were in our room the alarm was turned off and we went back to bed. Within 15 mins the alarm went off again. We tried to ignore it but it was very loud and then someone was banging on our door telling us to get out, so we again went outside but when we got there only 5 people were at the meeting point. We went to reception and were told it was a false alarm and to go back to our room. After all this we could not sleep so we got ready for an early breakfast!
The next morning at breakfast we asked to speak to the general manager about the fire alarm. He had come in early especially because of the problems and when we met him we asked him what he was going to do about it. He said he would contact the alarm company for a full investigation. We wanted and asked for some form of compensation for a ruined weekend of peace and quiet but he refused, saying that he would contact us when the investigation was complete. We obviously were not happy with that and made our feelings well known. All guests were complaining over breakfast, and the ones in ground floor rooms were saying they could not get sleep as guests from Xmas parties kept knocking on their doors in the middle of the night.
All in all a very bad experience. The hotel has a nice swimming pool, spa and sauna and the food is good, but if you want a good rest, dont go here!

P.S. after writing a letter of complaint to head office, the general manager wrote back giving us a £40 refund from our first nights dinner bill. But we won't be going back, even if they paid us. I had to take 3 days off work when I got home as I had a very bad cold after my time away.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room on ground floor when parties or weddings are taking place.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sherb003
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your very unfortunate experience on Trip Advisor.

We were very sorry that your stay was marred by fire alarm activation for which please accept our sincere apologies again. Unfortunately, when the fire alarm is activated we have to evacuate the building as per our laid down procedures. Although, I appreciate false alarms can cause distruption but as a business we are not preapd to compromise safety of our guests and staff which I hope you will understand.

Thank you again for your review. We hope to welcome you back to MERCURE Grange in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 2 December 2011

I stayed here as a guest as part of a wedding party and really enjoyed my stay. The hotel was immaculately clean, the staff were friendly and really went out of their way to ensure we were happy and catured for. Rooms were lovely, clean and comfortable. The wedding itself was beautiful set in beautiful grounds and I know how much the staff yet again, helped the bride and groom in making sure their wedding was perfect. Food was deliscious, at both the wedding and breakfast. Would most definitely stay here again and recommend to all.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank michelle n
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on trip advisor. I very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with my team and I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our service and product.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and I hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Reviewed 27 November 2011

My partner and I came to this hotel last weekend for a weekend away. We were given a very warm welcome by the reception staff and were checked in very swiftly. Our room was on the first floor and had amazing views. As my partner is a nurse she has very high standards of cleanliness and there was nothing with the room that we could fault. The room had tea and coffee making facilities and also had bottles of water in the room which we felt was a nice touch. .

After our night out we came back during the early hours of the morning and quite a number of staff were still on duty. They were all still smiling even after a long shift and preparing for a wedding the next day,. The room where we had breakfast was amazing and breakfast itself was very good. Although we did not use the leisure facilities it looked very inviting.

All in all we had an excellent night out, the hotel was excellent and it seemed to be managed well even though it was really busy. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone.,

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Umesh P

Reviewed 25 November 2011

The minute my (now) husband and I pulled up to the gates and saw the immaculate gardens and dreamy swooping driveway, we knew this place was where we wanted to get married. On arrival at the hotel, we were even more impressed with the decor and upkeep of every room and the staff were simply brilliant. Everyone ensured we were fully catered for and helped out with our every need, to be honest they were faultless and couldn’t have done any more to help us. Time was not an issue and the advice was second to none. On the day of the event, everything went without a hitch, the pre-planning and organisation were perfect and the food was amazing- all of our guests were satisfied and highly recommended going for a meal in the restaurant. It was a dream wedding and I was definitely made to feel like a princess. Thank you to all for making our day so special, we really had “The Time of or Life”.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Bridal Suite - it was room, clean and very accomodating.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
9  Thank laralou18_11

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review on trip advisor. I very much appreciate your comments regarding your very Special Day at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your 1st annivarsary.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Stayed here for second time in last 6 months and must admit this hotel keeps getting better. Stayed for 2 nights on dinner, bed and breakfast. Lovely and clean hotel with some very friendly staff. Restaurant staff couldn't do enoughe for us and the food is out of this world. Hotel has recently been re-branded as Mercure and there is a nice letter from CEO promising investment. Would highly recommend

Room Tip: Arrive early and ask for larger rooms
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple