Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel
Holiday Inn Bristol - Filton(Hambrook)(Great Value!)
US$102
US$83
PremierInn.com
Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North(Bristol)(Great Value!)
US$114
US$155
US$145
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Bristol Filton Hotel(Bristol)(Great Value!)
US$63
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Swan Hotel(Almondsbury)
US$107
All reviewswedding receptionwedding breakfastfriends weddinglovely locationbeautiful groundsthe ground floorrestaurant staffflat screen tvevening mealfood was lovelyplenty of parkingtea and coffeebristolvalvenuediscocountryside
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 June 2012

This is about the third or fourth time I have stayed here to break a long journey westwards into Wales and I will probably come back. It is good value.

The approach to the hotel is through a parkland setting with fine, century-old trees, horses in a nearby field and plenty of birdlife. The hotel itself is built around an old house. There is a conservatory/bar/entrance hall added to one corner, with comfortable chairs and wide views. Behind is the main house with a lounge, the restaurant and a gracious stair-well to an upper floor. From overhearing a long conversation by a representative of a future bride with the hotel duty manager I gather that the rooms on the first floor here are top of their range, large views, spacious rooms, panelling and four poster beds etc. Off reception are corridors to more conventional and cheaper hotel rooms - ours was spacious enough, clean, warm, plenty of hot water, good TV (not many channels).

We ate in the restaurant both for dinner and breakfast. My wife was intrigued and delighted by the tiny pots of herbs on the table, with their scents. The food was good, especially breakfast.

My heart sank when I discovered there was a high school prom at the hotel that evening, imagining the noise. In fact everything was well controlled, the sound proofing along the corridors was good enough, and all we noticed were happy people.

The spa is a small pool, octagonal, not much room for lane swimming, especially if there are other people there, but staff were helpful. The spa was highly accessible for mobility impaired, in fact the hotel in general is good in this respect, except I think the luxury rooms are up stairs; and access to the bar in a wheel chair would be difficult or impossible, and the ramp to the entrance and reception leads to a small lift to go up a few feet in level, so it is not welcoming. (Must be difficult to convert an old house on such a steep site.)

I see in other reviews some questions about lost bookings, etc. Same here. Also I had to remember that I had pre-paid when booking on-line, otherwise I would have had to pay twice. This has been a problem in previous stays so I think it is endemic - keep the paperwork in hand!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Dear Guest,

I very much appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I am sure the wider online community will be grateful for such an objective and detailed review!

We have had some issues with thrid party bookings but I am monitoring the situaiton very closely and where necessary direct action has been taken as appropriate.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and I hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Bristol North The Grange in the near future.

Reviewed 10 June 2012

We made our reservation through booking.com and received confirmation email, but on our arrival Mercure couldn’t find any reservation for us, so we spent time waiting while problem gets resolved. When we finally get our room, it was worst hotel room we have ever been: very dark with a small dirty window with a Roof-view. We asked to change a room, and we got better one after waiting again; at the end we spent about 2 hours waiting for rooms and there was no time left for a Leisure centre that day, because it closes in 4pm on Sundays. Definitely not 4 star hotel, rather 2.

Room Tip: Don't accept 500 series rooms
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alex k

Dear Guest,

Further to my previous correspondence, I thank you again for taking the time and trouble to post your review on Tripadvisor.com. I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations for which please allow me to express my sincerest apologies again.

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. I would like to re-confirm that the issues you raised were investigated in detail and where neccessary direct action has been taken.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 9 June 2012

I stayed here in early June 2012 when I travelled to Bristol for work. Up until this point I had always stayed at the Hilton but after yet another dire evening meal and a lacklustre breakfast there, I chose to stay at The Grange. Well - I certainly won't be staying at the Hilton ever again thanks to the excellent welcome I received from the receptionist Lopa. She was friendly but not OTT like a lot of hotel staff, and answered all of my queries. My room was clean and spacious - one minor point was that the TV was a bit small and the picture not brilliant but it was not a big issue. My meal in the restaurant was outstanding. I really felt that the meal had been cooked to order for me rather than mass produced and shoved on a plate ready for someone to ask for it. The waiter was brilliant too. He was helpful, unobtrusive and unfailingly polite. His name was Bedi. The service I received from Lopa and Bedi was outstanding and they are part of the reason I will return to The Grange. I hope their superiors are able to award certificates or bonuses for staff who go the extra mile, as Lopa and Bedi truly deserve to be rewarded. I work for a very large organisation with offices in Bristol. I will recommend that any colleagues stay at The Grange rather than the Hilton as the staff, service, food and accommodation were far superior.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Tallymac
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to provide us with your feedback via tripadvisor.com.

Reviewed 6 June 2012

Attended a family wedding here and stayed overnight. A beautiful hotel and situated in stunning grounds and surroundings. Rooms were simply perfect and staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank David P

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay with us and that Bedi and Lopa looked after you well. I have spoken with both Lopa and Bedi to express my appreciation for the great work they do looking after our guests so well.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Bristol North The Grange very soon.

Reviewed 4 June 2012

I stayed at this hotel from 1 - 4 June 2012. Check in was fine but the restaurant that night was extrememly busy, while service was slow we were in no hurry so not a problem. However there was a function going on that evening - great love parties myself but is was apity that some of the guests kept it going in the corridors into the very small hours. Next day there was a wedding reception and whiole the bar was absolutely packed things were fine until the noise levels prompted actioned form the staff but to no avail. Screaming children in both the public areas and corridors outside of rooms made for a tiresome evening and even room service - due to restaurant being closed for another function could not exclude the noise. Net morning breakfast was served in the ballroom due to numbers. That lunchtime there was anoth wedding - great happy couple smiling bride anfd groom. However no where for guests to eat because public rooms closed for wedding function and due to bar being topped up with guests I was informed I could eat at 1.45 when thecewremony started! To give the bar man praise, he tried hard and I ate at 1.45 but there was no warning of functions and closire of various public rooms or lack of facilities for guests. Suffice to say I complained on both days to staff who appeared powerless to do anything. I left a day early since the noise and lack of facilities was promised for that evening as well.

Room Tip: Don't think any of the rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on Tripadvisor.com. I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations for which please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Yours faithfully,