“More like two star” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Winterbourne
Leeds, United Kingdom
“More like two star”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel was formally a Ramada which is now run by Jupiter with a Mercure franchise. The original property has character and is in a nice location but is very tired. The whole hotel complex comprises of several buildings in a mismatch of dated, different styles. It is more old fashioned than fashionably old. The hotel is not really operating at a four star standard. The bedrooms are dated, dark and not attractive. Several other features let is down- the breakfast doesn't feature croissants, for example. The service is satisfactory.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Andrew G
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Andrew G,

Thank you for providing myself and the team with your recent online review.

I was disappointed to read that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that was caused.

The hotel is currently undergoing a soft refurbishment program and we anticipate that this will be completed in March 2014. Upon your next visit to the local area, please do let us know your thoughts on the changes that the hotel has made and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Ms Kuldeep Badesha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Church Gresley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

I stayed for 3 nights Friday - Monday, it was my 50th birthday and I wanted something special.

I had to telephone to book as I was unable to book a table in the restaurant online. Having secured a table for 5 my call was diverted and I was able to book a 'Superior Room' for myself, I explained it was a special weekend for me. When I arrived on the Friday afternoon I was given an 'Executive' Room, down a long corridor on a 1980s extension with a view of a hedgerow and the side of the rest of the 1980s extension. I complained, and was offered a room in the main part of the house with the far reaching views I had really wanted, and had asked for.

Room problem aside, the hospitality side of The Grange couldn't have been better. The staff were all brilliant, breakfasts were lovely and my 50th family meal was a huge success. Everyone enjoyed their food, well presented, everything we wanted, and some very good wines. The staff were very attentive and full marks to our waiter Kris who was a gem.

It was only on leaving on the Monday morning when I had a good look at my room, and started to notice how poor the state of it was for a 4* hotel. Now home I can see that it bears absolutely NO resemblance to the room shown as a 'Superior Room with 1 double bed and garden view' on the website. There was no comfortable seating, no biscuits or water as advertised, no Nespresso machine, no robe or slippers, the flat screen TV was small and dated, the processor took an eternity to find the channel I requested and there was a red line down the side of the screen and the 'free' Wifi was limited, connection poor and I used my own 3G as I had a quicker connection. There was also no standard things I'd expect in a 4* room such as a mini bar/small fridge or safe

The carpet was ripped, every surface had a thick layer of dust, the room was tired, dated and needed a really deep clean.

I did give the management a chance to respond to my comments and my bill was duly rebalanced to show the hotel cares about customers complaints. I was told that all the rooms were in the process of being upgraded, but this does not explain how the amount of dust and cleanliness of the room was allowed to accumulate.

Restaurant & Bar = Excellant.
Room - Very poor.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dr Iain M H
Iain H,

Myself and the team would like to thank you for taking time out to write your recent online review and providing myself and my team with feedback relating to your recent stay.

I was delighted that the hospitality that you received from all the team here at the hotel was our usual first class experience and I would like to add an extra thank you on Kris's behalf. Just like myself, I am sure that he will be over the moon to know that he contributed to making the birthday celebrations a special one.

Myself and the team welcome all feedback that we recieve here at the hotel as this allows for us to continue to develop and make inprovements to our standards and service offerings as and where required. I was pleased to read that following your feedback to my Guest Care Manager that your complaint was resolved prior to you checking out of the hotel.

The hotel is undergoing a soft bedroom refurbishment project and we anticipate that this will be completed by March 2014. Upon your next visit to the local area please feel free to provide us with feedback relating to the recent changes the hotel is currently making.

Florence
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

At all costs avoid, overpriced, food terrible, service awful.

In the sticks..... For nearly £100 per night I would expect some level of quality.

Classic mirror and plug at opposite end of the room challenge.

Tired dated, musky and chintzy.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank FlorenceDillon
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
FlorenceDillon,

Many thanks for your recent online feedback for myself and the team.

I would like to apologise that you felt that the hotel did not meet your expectations during your stay and for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

The hotel is currently undergoing a bedroom refurbishment which we anticipate to be completed by March 2014. Upon your next visit to the hotel, myself and the team welcome you back to see first hand the changes that have been made.

Warm Regards,

Ms Kuldeep Badesha

Travellers are raving about these Winterbourne hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed at the hotel for one night only. Is fine but definitely not worthy of a 4 star status which is misleading. The rooms are very dated (in the Mews bit anyway) albeit very clean. Staff all friendly and helpful, especially lovely breakfast staff. We got a deal so I can't complain too much about the price but it is definitely in need of a spruce-up. Bar prices extortionate. Free wi-fi is great though.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yumyum22
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
yumyum22,

Many thanks for taking the time out to provide the team and I with your feedback following your recent stay.

The team and myself were delighted to read that you found the staff to be both friendly and helpful as this is something that we take great pride in.

The hotel is currently undergoing a bedroom refurbishment in a bedrooms within the hotel including the Mews Rooms and we anticipate this to be completed by March 2014. We are very excited about the project and upon booking your next visit with us, please feel free to ask for one of these rooms (if available) as I would love to hear your feedback.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

We stayed for 1 night Jan 25th The room was large and quite well equipped and very clean but very dark . There were 10 of us for the evening meal but it was very disappointing. Having been here previously the standard had gone down, but the service was friendly and pleasant.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Barbara S,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide myself and the team with your online feedback; I will be sure to share this feedback with all the team here at the hotel.

I would like to apologise that you feel that the food was not to our usual high standards; having been to the hotel previously you will know first hand that this is certainly not typical of ourselves and I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

With this in mind, I was delighted to read that the team that you encountered were their usual friendly and helpful selves; this is something that the hotel takes great pride in.

I do hope that you will visit us upon your next venture into the local area and that we can show you first hand that this is not something typical of us or the team.

Loweswater, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

The hotel is a good venue for a large party, of which we were a part of for a lunch celebration. The grounds are attractive, the reception rooms warm and bright. However, the meal was disappointing. Not what I was expecting from a hotel of this standing. The Chef was not very inventive as there was no variety in the accompanying vegetables served with the menu. My meal started well with a tasty and adequate portion of smoked salmon which was wrapped around prawns in a creamed sauce, however my husband was disappointed with the portion size of his beetroot salad. We both had salmon for main course which was accompanied by roast potatoes ( which incidentally reminded me of school meals, tasteless large chunks prepared too far in advance). New potatoes would have been a much nicer and more appropriate choice. I noticed that the roast potatoes also accompanied the pork and chicken dinners that were served to others at the table, so I guess Chef couldn't be bothered to serve a more appropriate alternative. Our dessert was a cold, tasteless lemon pie, with very thick unappetising pastry. I sent it back hardly touched, something I have very rarely done in any restaurant.
Our disappointing meal was a shame as the rest of the day, the service from the staff and the interior of the hotel was very pleasant.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MERCUREGrange, Front Office Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Kind regards,

James Headford
Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winterbourne
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Aztec Hotel & Spa Bristol
Aztec Hotel & Spa Bristol
#1 of 5 in Almondsbury
Holiday Inn Bristol - Filton
DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol North
De Vere Tortworth Estate
Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa

Been to Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!