Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel
Holiday Inn Bristol - Filton(Hambrook)(Great Value!)
US$111
US$102
Agoda.com
US$83
PremierInn.com
Very Good 4/5
Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North(Bristol)(Great Value!)
US$114
US$155
US$145
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Bristol Filton Hotel(Bristol)(Great Value!)
US$63
  • Breakfast included
Swan Hotel(Almondsbury)
US$107
Very Good 4/5
All reviewswedding receptionwedding breakfastfriends weddinglovely locationbeautiful groundsthe ground floorrestaurant staffflat screen tvevening mealfood was lovelyplenty of parkingtea and coffeebristolvalvenuediscocountryside
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I've given this property three opportunities to get it right in the last 2 months and each time has been more disappointing than the last. For some reason my client has booked this venue on my behalf on a dinner inclusive package. I am not a diva and usually will not make a fuss but now I feel strongly enough to ask them to book me somewhere more, well, anywhere else.
The hotel is a dilapidated manor house at the top of a hill some way from anywhere. The hotel entrance is hard to spot and is only really identifiable by the smokers huddled under the porch outside. Each time I entered and exited, I had to run the gauntlet and end up stinking of disgusting cigarette smoke.
The rooms are dated - even the ones that have recently been redecorated are still frankly shabby in terms of the room fittings. I could overlook the shabbiness if the service was good. Any organisation involved in the service industry needs to remember that every single staff contact is a potential moment of truth for a customer who will endorse or slate your product depending on their experience in that single contact. Here we go:
Last stay I asked if they had any fruit and was told "No!" No explanation just one word - No. I find it Impossible to believe that a hotel has NO fruit anywhere.
I ordered soup and was asked if I wanted the signature soup or the soup of the day. I asked what the difference was and the individual didn't know!
There is nothing on the menu that even looks like it could be a healthy option. There are no low fat, low carb, salady-type options.
The telephone in my room didn't work which meant I had to get dressed again and walk to reception to order room service.
On the second night of my trip this time I stopped at Sainsburys and purchased a salad as I couldn't face another night of room service burned on the outside, raw on the inside chips and on check-out was asked to pay a £3 tray charge for the first night's room service even though my client was paying a dinner allowance which I had not used at all on the second night. They could easily have waived the charge and still made a good profit when I mentioned it but chose not to. This was a short-sighted action as this was the proverbial last straw. I am a company Managing Director who spends over 100 nights a year in hotels and whose own organisation books hotels for client events on a weekly basis, I will certainly not be staying there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Piptothepost,

Myself and the team would like to thank you for your comprehensive feedback following recent stays here at the hotel.

We were disappointed to read that when you had visted that you felt that each time myself and the team did not meet your expectations and we would like to apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused to yourself.

The hotel will be launching a new menu next month and we are excited about the various dishes that will be available and we are confident that there will be a dish to suit all.

The hotel is undergoing a soft bedroom refurbishment and I was disappointed to read that you felt this did not add to the overall product of the hotel. Myself and the team have been collecting feedback from as many of our guest with regards to the bedrooms and overall the feedback has been positive and wecolming.

I would like to thank you for your honest feedback and let me assure you that there is further changes both to the product and within the team that we are currently working on and should you wish to come back to the hotel to experience this first hand then please feel free to contact myself direct; whereby I will be more than happy to discuss your feedback in person.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Disappointing hotel. Drafty and cold, tired and tatty rooms, exposed tacks and backs falling off the conference chairs, no mirror near the electric sockets, no plug socket near the mirror, someone's dirty soggy towel left on the back of the bathroom door, dirty carpets, mediocre food, woken at 2am and 4am on separate nights by someone clattering around collecting room service trays. A couple of the team of staff were really lovely, helpful and warm, a couple were exactly the opposite, particularly the waitress at breakfast on Friday and the general manager after I'd given my honest answer to 'how was your stay'. On the plus side, comfy bed ( although it wasn't changed in the 4 days I stayed), free wifi, free parking, and Kaitye the event manager was lovely. I wouldn't choose this hotel again. The swimming pool has been closed apparently and there's nothing to do in the evenings, it's just that bit too far from anywhere and the 'grounds' are uninspiring. I've noticed the standard response from the hotel to the other posts and expect the same. I think they should close for a while, do an overhaul and try again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Fildes6770,

Myself and the team would like to thank you for your recent online feedback regarding your stay with ourselves.

I was disappointed to read that your stay did not meet your expectations and I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. In your online review you note that I did not react well to asking "how was your stay" - I would just like to note to reads that we did not meet during your stay however, I will investigate with the team who this particular individual was.

Both positive and constructive feedback is welcomed by myself and the team; with this we review our standards and service offerings where required.

The hotel is currently undergoing a sift bedroom refurbishment and upon your next visit to the local area, please feel free to contact myself or Kaytie and we would love the opportunity to show you first hand the recent chnages that the hotel is undergoing.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 6 February 2014

This hotel was formally a Ramada which is now run by Jupiter with a Mercure franchise. The original property has character and is in a nice location but is very tired. The whole hotel complex comprises of several buildings in a mismatch of dated, different styles. It is more old fashioned than fashionably old. The hotel is not really operating at a four star standard. The bedrooms are dated, dark and not attractive. Several other features let is down- the breakfast doesn't feature croissants, for example. The service is satisfactory.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Andrew G
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Andrew G,

Thank you for providing myself and the team with your recent online review.

I was disappointed to read that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that was caused.

The hotel is currently undergoing a soft refurbishment program and we anticipate that this will be completed in March 2014. Upon your next visit to the local area, please do let us know your thoughts on the changes that the hotel has made and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

I stayed for 3 nights Friday - Monday, it was my 50th birthday and I wanted something special.

I had to telephone to book as I was unable to book a table in the restaurant online. Having secured a table for 5 my call was diverted and I was able to book a 'Superior Room' for myself, I explained it was a special weekend for me. When I arrived on the Friday afternoon I was given an 'Executive' Room, down a long corridor on a 1980s extension with a view of a hedgerow and the side of the rest of the 1980s extension. I complained, and was offered a room in the main part of the house with the far reaching views I had really wanted, and had asked for.

Room problem aside, the hospitality side of The Grange couldn't have been better. The staff were all brilliant, breakfasts were lovely and my 50th family meal was a huge success. Everyone enjoyed their food, well presented, everything we wanted, and some very good wines. The staff were very attentive and full marks to our waiter Kris who was a gem.

It was only on leaving on the Monday morning when I had a good look at my room, and started to notice how poor the state of it was for a 4* hotel. Now home I can see that it bears absolutely NO resemblance to the room shown as a 'Superior Room with 1 double bed and garden view' on the website. There was no comfortable seating, no biscuits or water as advertised, no Nespresso machine, no robe or slippers, the flat screen TV was small and dated, the processor took an eternity to find the channel I requested and there was a red line down the side of the screen and the 'free' Wifi was limited, connection poor and I used my own 3G as I had a quicker connection. There was also no standard things I'd expect in a 4* room such as a mini bar/small fridge or safe

The carpet was ripped, every surface had a thick layer of dust, the room was tired, dated and needed a really deep clean.

I did give the management a chance to respond to my comments and my bill was duly rebalanced to show the hotel cares about customers complaints. I was told that all the rooms were in the process of being upgraded, but this does not explain how the amount of dust and cleanliness of the room was allowed to accumulate.

Restaurant & Bar = Excellant.
Room - Very poor.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Dr Iain M H

Iain H,

Myself and the team would like to thank you for taking time out to write your recent online review and providing myself and my team with feedback relating to your recent stay.

I was delighted that the hospitality that you received from all the team here at the hotel was our usual first class experience and I would like to add an extra thank you on Kris's behalf. Just like myself, I am sure that he will be over the moon to know that he contributed to making the birthday celebrations a special one.

Myself and the team welcome all feedback that we recieve here at the hotel as this allows for us to continue to develop and make inprovements to our standards and service offerings as and where required. I was pleased to read that following your feedback to my Guest Care Manager that your complaint was resolved prior to you checking out of the hotel.

The hotel is undergoing a soft bedroom refurbishment project and we anticipate that this will be completed by March 2014. Upon your next visit to the local area please feel free to provide us with feedback relating to the recent changes the hotel is currently making.