“Worst hotel I have stayed in for a long time!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel

Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Winterbourne
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Worst hotel I have stayed in for a long time!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Having read some of the poor reviews for this hotel I was very worried about staying but had no choice in the decision to stay here as part of a group.I was right to be worried! The hotel itself is very dated and in desperate need of updating. I paid extra to stay in an executive room but it was of a very poor standard. The bathroom was the worse. Rust on the fittings , missing tops off the tap, towels like sandpaper etc. I actually requested new towels but they never materialised. No surprise there after the inept staff at check in. Breakfast was poor. Okay if you wanted cocoa pops as that's all there was in the way of boxed cereal. The hot buffet was anything but. Cold beans? No thank you. If you wanted a drink in the bar you had to find someone to serve you first! I could go on but I suggest you read the other reviews and heed the majority. Don't stay here!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for completing an online review of the Mercure Grange Bristol North Hotel. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your recent visit.

I have taken your comments on board and will immediately look towards making the necessary improvements to rule out future occurrences.

Kind Regards

Josh Watts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Whitstable
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

The hotel is in a beautiful rural location, but that is nearly where the good parts end. I can say in all honesty that this is the very worst Mercure hotel I have stayed in for many years.

It starts with the main entrance not being marked, and from the car park one naturally walks past the main entrance to another one, only to have to walk back through the hotel again to find reception. There is no lift to the higher floors.

The visitor has the option of free "slow" WiFi or a supposedly faster paid for one. The paid for service was very slow indeed.

My bathroom had not been cleaned properly. The bed was not very comfortable, and the sheets were of a very coarse material - not quite like sandpaper, but at times I felt it was not far short of that!

The lighting in the room was so dim that I could not read at all in the evening, even with all the lights on. The room window was quite small, so reading is difficult even near the window on a sunny day.

The duty manager and another member of staff did their best to make things right, but as they say, one cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

The one saving grace was the meal in the restaurant. By far the best meal I have had in a very long time. However, it was EXTREMELY expensive, probably because they have a captive clientele since going out to a restaurant would mean a long drive.

While I am an avid supporter of the Mercure and its sister hotel chains, this hotel is one I shall not be staying at again unless I have evidence that a lot has been done to improve matters.

Room Tip: If you want a decent room, choose another hotel
1 Thank Frank D
Dear Frank,

Thank you for taking the time to provide some firsthand feedback following your recent stay at the Mercure Grange Bristol North Hotel. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.

I have brought the points you raised to the attention of the Management team and I hope to have them in the near future. I was very pleased to read that you did enjoy your meal in the restaurant.

I do hope that this has not permanently marred your opinion of the Mercure Grange Bristol North Hotel.

Kind regards

Josh Watts

Travellers are raving about these Winterbourne hotels

Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

I didn’t choose this hotel. I stayed here because I was attending a wedding, and I have to say recent reviews left me feeling some trepidation as I arrived. I needn’t have worried.

The hotel is set in lovely grounds, in what feels a remote spot (although actually quite accessible from all of M4, M5 and M32). The decor of the hotel is excellent. Fresh and tastefully applied, and altogether very pleasant.

I contacted the hotel a few days earlier to see if there was any chance of an early check in. “Probably not” was the general message, and this was clearly and professionally explained by a gentleman called David. This was fine, as I had no right to expect this, and I’d rather know the facts. So a good start.

Not so good was the fact that at 2.45, well past check-in time, my room still wasn’t ready. However again the front desk staff were pleasant and handled this so well that I really didn’t mind. Also I was refreshingly surprised not to be forced to register a credit card on check in (I had pre-paid) for incidentals, and to be given a cash ‘pay as you go’ option with no hassle at all. This is rare and much appreciated.

15 minutes later we were in our room, which was again freshly decorated and spotlessly clean throughout. The main bed was large and very comfortable, as were the pillows. The bed linen was crisp and fresh. Our children’s temporary beds were as good as could be expected, and everyone would go on to have a good night’s sleep. One small criticism was that only 2 glasses were provided for 4 occupants. This is a minor gripe; this was an excellent hotel room.

I have saved the best to last. The only blemish on breakfast was that we had quite a wait to be seated, but after this everything was 10/10. The food was superb. A buffet is the best breakfast for me. You get exactly what you want, when you want it. Here the food was always plentiful. If an item needed to be replaced then this would happen in double quick time. There was none of the mean ‘small plate’ tricks often played in buffets either; plates were large and hot so your hot food stayed hot (an obsession on mine). On top of this the staff were superb. Peaks in Sunday morning demand were handled effortlessly and without fuss, and your table was always cleared with a smile. This was the best hotel breakfast I have had in years.

In summary:

+ Lovely setting
+ Fresh decor and comfortable communal areas
+ Comfortable room and spotlessly clean
+ Fantastic breakfast in all respects; organisation, food and service

- Room not ready on time – this didn’t bother us this time but would annoy me on many occasions and I am sure would others

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Angela,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Mercure Grange Bristol North Hotel following your recent visit.

Both myself and my team were pleased to read that the vast majority of your stay was a positive experience, especially concerning the customer service your received.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind regards

Neath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Booked in to this hotel on 10/04. No lifts. What Hotel in their right mind has no lifts? People have luggage up 4 flights of stairs! Got to my room which was dark and dingy, bathroom was very small and poor quality. Lights in my room were not working hence it was dark... 1 light buld had been removed. I called down to reception and she offered to change me to an "executive room" . I got to my new room... Which was exactly the same as the one before and was anything but executive... I called down to reception to ask what is so executive about this room... Wait for it.... "It has a coffee machine"!!! A coffee machine does not make a room executive i said... Well it is an exeutive room she said. If you are going tomstay here dont bother paying for an exec room its the same as standard! I went to bed and went down for breakfast the next morning.... Really poor standard of breakfast. She showed me to my seat and i ordered tea and then went to select breakfast the choice was poor, the buffet cooked breakfast lloked poort quality and cheap and i decided that enough was enough and just walked out and went to settle my bill. 15 minute wait to check out as only 1 receptionist on to serve a queue ... A member of staff walked by and i asked cant they get someone else on reception? No she said. I will never stay here again and would advise anyone to thing twice. I left my details for the manager to call me.... I am still waiting!

Room Tip: Dont bother booking an executive room its the same standard as a normal room oh you do get a coffee...
1 Thank 98AngelaA
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Angela A,

I would like to thank you for taking the time out to provide myself and the team with your feedback following your stay with ourselves.

Myself and the team were disappointed to read that you did not have an enjoyable stay woth ourselves and would like to apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

The team and I treat all feedback as a priority and we would like to thank you for providing us with your review and also more in depth feedback to my Front Office Manager also.

Warmest Regards,

Doncaster
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

I visited the hotel on business, it is ideally situated being only a couple of miles from the M5 motorway. The staff were very friendly, the rooms comfortable and the food good. The hotel is set in lovely surroundings too, making my stay very relaxing and pleasant. My only criticisms would be the very noisy floorboards, both in my room and the rooms around me, and also the expensive drinks list. Having said that I would definitely use the hotel again.

Anthony K,

I would like to thank you for taking the time out to provide myself and the team with your online review following your recent stay at the hotel.

We were delighted to read that you found the food to be a good standard, bedroom comfortable and all staff you encountered to be friendly; this is what myself and the team pride ourselves in ensuring that we deliver to all our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Warmest regards,

Gloucester, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

My brother held his wedding reception here, and myself, and my family booked in to stay for the one Friday night.

In the week leading up to the wedding i checked with tripadvisor to see the reviews and was a bit gutted to see that it had had some pretty harsh reviews very recently to do with poor customer service and the state of the rooms etc. I was then very concerned that this may adversely affect my brothers wedding and his enjoyment of the day.

However, i need not have worried. When we arrived on the Friday afternoon, we were greeted by very polite and courteous staff, and although a bit early, allowed to check into our room, which was clean and tidy, as well as being recently decorated.

During the day/evening, i approched the front desk with requests for various items such as pens and prit stick for the guest book, which the staff bent over bacwards to provide. They also treated me very well considering i had taken a few on board !!

In summary, my brother enjoyed his day, as did everyone else who stayed at the hotel, and i cannot report the same problems as the people who stayed here the week previous.

The breakfast was fine and i would not hesitate to stay here again. I can only assume that there are some people that expect champagne when paying lemonade money !!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Hgs153
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Hgs153,

I would like to thank you for taking the time out to provide myself and the team with your feedback and we were delighted to read that everyone had a great time at the wedding - myself and the team were honoured to be hosting this very special occasion with you and your family.

The hotel is a located on 18 acres of grounds which I know the Bride and Groom used to take those all important wedding photos - myself and the wedding team would love to be able to view these.

The team and I pride ourselves in delivering first class service to all our guests and I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback on experiencing this first hand.

Myself and the team look forward to welcoming you all back in the very near future and once again big congratulations to the happy couple!

Warmest Regards,

Ms Kuldeep Badesha
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winterbourne
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Aztec Hotel & Spa Bristol
Aztec Hotel & Spa Bristol
#1 of 5 in Almondsbury
Holiday Inn Bristol - Filton
DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol North
De Vere Tortworth Estate
Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa

Been to Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!