“A port in a storm” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Winterbourne
London, United Kingdom
“A port in a storm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We were very delayed coming up from the West country, and were delighted to find this hotel, 5 minutes or so from the M4/M5 junction. The public rooms are in an older stone building, surrounded by lawns, with most rooms in a more (but not very) modern annexe. The room was large with an excellent bed and a perfectly OK but rather tired bathroom.
We were late and so ate in the bar with e.g. a very good hamburger and chips. The breakfast buffet was fine and well priced. Our small dog was able to stay in the room.
The room was rather hot all night. We didn't find the fan in the wardrobe until the next morning.
All in all we were very pleased with this overnight stay.

1 Thank Fupi14
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I'm very pleased you enjoyed your experience so much. We are indeed 5 minutes from the M4/M5 junction and set in 19 acres of beautiful gardens.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Josh Watts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I booked into The Grange on the 22nd of June and must say the reception was very friendly.I tried having lunch was told that they are fully booked and have to come back later .My experience for the whole week was that they are more focused on events and functions .If you have a function,wedding or event there I would definitly recommend it but for business stay definitly not as it is isolated in the countryside and far from City main center and shops.My biggest problem is trying to get hold of reception during my stay from my room and after as there was a reserve taken on my card for the stay and now I cannot get hold of them via the phone number nor via email to get it released.I had the same issue with my stay at another Mercure Hotel in May.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank SATraveler133
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

At Mercure we are very much a business hotel throughout the week and we do hold leisure events and weddings at the weekend. I am sorry that your stay was disturbed by an event.

I'm pleased to read that you found the reception staff very helpful.

Josh Watts

Travellers are raving about these Winterbourne hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We had our wedding at the hotel on Saturday and although we are on honeymoon we felt we needed to say a big thank you to the staff who helped on our special day especially Val.

Val ensured all our guests were happy and made our day perfect, nothing was too much trouble, We think every hotel should have a Val.

If you are looking for a venue for your wedding we would strongly recommend this hotel. Food was lovely and bedrooms nicely decorated and very clean.

Thank you again to all the staff and a big hug to Val.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking time out to post such a lovely review.

All of the staff were delighted to read your comments and send their congratulations to you both.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your anniversary.

West Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Hotel is nice location however takes an age to get to and fro during rush hour. I would stay here again but not on business easier to commute in and out of Bristol as the bulk of traffic is going the opposite way. Food was really good, rooms a little dated but clean and had everything you needed. We left ealry and reception wasn;t manned but no issue recipt for forwarded to home address promptly. Lovely setting would stay again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review.

We appreciate there is lots of traffic in and around North Bristol, there are many ways to get to us and the worst of the traffic can be avoided. You can always call the front office team who are well trained to direct guests here via the best possible route.

Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Nice hotel in large grounds. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. We had a 'dodgy' kettle in our room which needed replacing, which was done within 5 minutes from start to finish.

The breakfast buffet offers gluten free toast, but you'll need to ask for it.

The only downside I felt was that, although clean and tidy, the bathrooms are in need of modernisation. While it all works (just!), it just doesn't look contemporary. These days I'm used to mixer taps in the bath and sink, not separate ones, so that you risk scalding your hands if you wash them under the hot tap only!

This is possibly just my own opinion though, so don't let that sway you from using this otherwise fine hotel!

Room Tip: Room 309 is pretty much the furthest away from reception/main area, so is very quiet!
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review, we pride ourselves on our high levels of customer service so I was great to read you had a good experience in this respect.

We have recently had all 68 bedrooms refurbished, as you mention, all bathrooms are in perfect working order and will catch up in terms of design in the not too distant future.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed for 2 nights on a business trip. The location is a bit out of the way but 10mins drive from businesses in Filton / Aztec West if you can leave by 7:30am and avoid the worst of the traffic.

On arrival the card machine wasn't working so I couldn't pre-authorise but the hotel were happy to let me put drinks / meals on my room and pay on departure. I found the hotel to be attractively decorated and he room was large and comfortable.

The restaurant looks out over beautiful lawns which were lovely on a summer's evening. The food was delicious although service was a little slow. On the second evening I ordered room service and was impressed that this came quickly despite the hotel being very busy with a large event on. The breakfast buffet was fine, and starts at 6:30 so it's possible to have a quick breakfast and get out before 7am.

Unfortunately I was kept awake on the first night by the TV from a nearby room (the walls must be very thin - I got 4hrs sleep), and on the second night by a few people from the event keeping the party going chatting outside the window, so by the second morning I was tired for work and the long journey back home.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor rooms if there's an event on.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent review.

I'm pleased to hear the many positives you highlighted during your stay and shall share your kind words with the team.

With regards to you being kept awake I will look into this, the nights team try to monitor all noise after 11pm to ensure all guets gets a good night sleep.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I organised a night out for me and the lady's I work with. it was a good price for the meal, but the soup was very bland , roast potatoes were burnt, the other stuff were not to great either, the pudding was ok.. the drinks were very expensive as well, the dance floor was small to for the other groups. so I would not go back for a meal. they allowed ppl to drink on the dance floor until a glass got smashed, took ages for a member of staff to pick it up.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Helen C
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Helen

Thank you for your recent review. We are just in the process of planning this year's christmas parties so your feedback is invaluable and timely. We will take your comments on board for this year.

Our Mistletoe Masquerade Parties this year are going to better than ever so hopefully we can welcome you back and show how great they will be.

Kind Reagrds

Josh Watts
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winterbourne
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Aztec Hotel & Spa Bristol
Aztec Hotel & Spa Bristol
#1 of 5 in Almondsbury
Holiday Inn Bristol - Filton
DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol North
De Vere Tortworth Estate
Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa

Been to Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!