All reviewswedding receptionwedding venuewedding breakfastlovely locationbeautiful groundsset menuevening mealplenty of parkingbristolvaldiscocountrysidemotorway
Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel with my partner and step daughter. While visiting Bristol the hotel was in a good location to get into the centre and also places on the outskirt, such as Cribbs Causeway, so was a good base. Parts of the hotel had been revamped, however some bits were a bit dated. Evening meal at the restaurant was great and the food was delicious, great choice and something for us all to enjoy. Would go back for a meal.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment following your recent stay at the Mercure Bristol North the Grange Hotel.

We are delighted you enjoyed the meal in our AA Rosette Restaurant.

We do hope you will return to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

We attended a family wedding at this venue on Saturday 14th. We had booked a room to stay overnight. I called the hotel a few days prior to confirm check in times and was told that we could not check in until 2pm. The wedding was at 1pm so had no choice but to check in after which was a shame as we wanted to get ready at the hotel. I found out after that another member of the family had been offered early check in at 10.30 so this was my first disappointment.

The ceremony took place and we then had about an hour and a half to mingle with guests before the reception so we took this opportunity to check in. Staff at reception were considerably slow and seems a little flustered with paperwork all over the desk and them not seeming to be able to find anything.

After about 10 minutes we checked in and were given our key - room 402. We arrived at the room an upon entering found that the room had not been cleaned, dirty sheets, dirty towels in the bath, filthy bathroom and dirty cups... the room had not been touched. I tried to call down to redirection as the room was quite a distance but could not get an answer. This left us with n alternative but to trek back down. I advised the member of staff at reception that i had been trying to call and he said he was busy. I explained about the state of the room. He took my key and disappeared for about 10 minutes with no explanation as to where he had gone.

When he reappeared he apologized and agreed that the room had not been cleaned..... surely there was never any doubt? He advised that the housekeeping team would be straight on it and it would be ready in about 20 minutes.

I expressed my concern that the room would be rushed and i wanted confirmation that clean sheets and towels would be provided. He advised that they would and that the housekeeping staff had been very busy..... not an acceptable excuse, surely knowing that the hotel would be full with wedding guests appropriate proviso would have been made.
His response was that check in from 2pm is NOT GUARANTEED!!!
I was most disappointed with this stance and he kept repeating himself, i challenged him with the fact that the booking confirmation states check in from 2pm and that i had also called the hotel and asked for confirmation which was again 2pm. he just kept saying they had been busy and it was not guaranteed.

Time is now marching on and it is almost 3.20pm. I asked to speak to the Manager and was told he would fetch him and off he went. he returned moments later and carried on with his duties. I have to say that the reception and check in procedure seemed chaotic and disorganized and queues were forming of disgruntled guests - wrong rooms being allocated and countless room swaps.

We waited about 15 minutes and no manager, i asked again and was told to go and sit in the bar and he would find me when he arrived. We have now missed out on the wedding experience of relaxing before the reception and family members were also concerned. A distraction that we did not want or enjoy.

It was almost 3.50pm and still no manager so i returned to the reception AGAIN and asked what was going on. the member of staff said he had tried to find me but couldn't... rubbish!! I demanded he got the manager there and then as we were about to go into the reception at 4pm

The Manager appeared, offered his apologies, stated he did not want to go over all the details as he was about to call the guests into the reception. We were to leave it with him, he would sort it and was prepared to offer a discount of 50%. Not to worry go and enjoy the rest of the wedding andit would all be sorted.

Upon hindsight i would have insisted on a full refund as we should never have been given the room key, it should have been checked and signed off by housekeeping and the whole experience had spoiled what should have been a wonderful day.

My advice, that whilst the venue looks lovely and the grounds are beautiful, this venue is no where near capable of coping.

At breakfast the next morning there were not enough table and people were waiting 20-30 minutes before being seated, the breakfast items were running out and again more waiting for them to be replenished.

When we checked out again there seemed to be chaos at reception with the receptionist shouting for people to self checkout if they had no bill to pay in order to get through the queue. I asked for confirmation that the refund had been processed and she advised that she had not done it and would do it later.!!!! so much for the Managers reassurances that it would all be sorted.... not what i had hoped for so i insisted that she did it there and then as i had absolutely no confidence that it would be done.

All in all a very disappointing experience and i would not stay there again or recommend it to anyone. I would rather pay the taxi fare home.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Yvette1964
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment following your recent stay at the Mercure Bristol North the Grange.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the totally lack of hospitality extended and the poor levels of housekeeping you experienced, this is not the usual standard I know we are capable of providing.

Can I request you contact me at the hotel so that I can discuss your experience.

Once again my sincere apologies.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

The hotel is in a quiet location high bove and set back from a minor country road well outside Bristol. We stayed two nights - Saturday and Sunday - and thought we would get a good night's sleep but there was a wedding reception the first night and children ran up and down the corridor and people kept banging doors well into the night.
I was astonished how badly the beds were made. They have a flat mattress protector which is barely held in place by two elastic straps. This causes the protector to ripple under the sheet. Easily seen, this should have been rectified by whoever made the bed.
The bath is narrow and is dangerously slippery when used for a shower. There is a double layer shower curtain which sticks to you because the bath is so narrow.
The shower gel and shampoo which were used the first night were simply left and not replenished.
When I got out of the shower I found only one bath towel and one hand towel which my wife had used before me. I asked at reception how many towels were supplied as we had only one of each. The reply was "Did you look in the wardrobe? That is where we put them." Not useful when you don't know and have just got out of the shower.
Our room key did not work on the second evening. Reception said "Did you have it next to a mobile phone?" Well quite possibly. Ifg that is arecognised problem why don't they tell you so when you check in?
Overall disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to feedback following your recent stay at the Mercure Bristol North the Grange Hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the presentation of your bedroom and the poor levels of hospitality extended to you, this is most disappointing and not the usual standard I know we are capable of offering.

We do hope you will reconsider returning to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

Arrived on a Sunday night , warmly welcomed showed my Accor good but receptionist did know really know what to do / no perks rewarded
Accommodation was booked for a double but got allocated a triple with a sofa bed made up , not really what I booked
There was a wedding going off which was quite noisy as could hear from my room and also all the doors slamming
The second night I ate in the lounge bar / good choice on the menu and reasonably priced
Service was good
Interior was dated but adds to the stay
Location was perfect for my work
Grounds were really well kept
When arriving back to my room I noticed house keeping had not been another blow to my stay
Checked out the following day mentioned my points to check out staff
Prob would not stay again as better Accor hotels nearby

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Please accept my sincere apologies for not acknowledging your reward card member status and the appointment of your accommodation.

I do hope you will reconsider coming back to the hotel in the future, may I ask you contact e direct should you plan a return stay.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

Nice location. Nice hotel but old. Bath rooms are pretty old. taps broken. I was in privilege room. People are nice. Good breakfast. Not many staff to serve at the dinner and breakfast. Specially when there is wedding. All staff help the wedding. Not bad for the price.

Room Tip: cheap and quite old hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doncs2014

We do hope you will return to the hotel again in the future.