“poor food quality, quantity and taste”
Review of The Salty Dog Inn

The Salty Dog Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Snells Beach B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“poor food quality, quantity and taste”
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Where to start. I took my in laws for a meal as a thank you for putting up the family over Christmas and New Year. We soon all wished I hadn't.
We were greeted in the restaurant by pre school kids screaming, shouting ,running around and throwing paper aeroplanes everywhere.
However the real let down was the quality, quantity and presentation of the food.
dad in law had pork, it was ok (this was the best choice of the night)
my eldest son and I had steak. when it arrived I asked if it was supposed to have fries or potatoes with it as the portions looked meagre.. (was told no)
my youngest asked for lamb (I had concerns when he ordered that he would finish it) I did not have to worry when it arrived I was shocked to see it only had 3 small pieces of lamb surrounded by veg which was saturated in gravy. Unfortunately my son likes dry veg, I made a comment on how they could charge $31 yes $31 for 3 small pieces of lamb( in a country that has more sheep than people). I was most unimpressed. Next, mum in law had ordered childrens meal of pasta. She said the sauce was nice but the past was a bit hard. Hard! it was raw!!, not al dente but raw.
My partner ordered fun guy vegetarian rissotto (the only fun guy here was the comedian pretending to be a chef). Rissotto!, it was rice with some veggies mashed in but they were poorly done and rissotto was all in clumps. However the worst was then my partner tried to eat the main part of the dish (3 mushrooms), there was so much salt on them I thought they were from the Dead Sea. They were totally inedible. I think the chef was trying to keep in tone with the first part of the restaurants name. This was the last straw and I complained, my partner then asked for fish and chips from the childrens menu. When it arrived it was fish nuggets and chips, not actually a fish.
I dont know if the chef was on holiday or not, but if not he(she) needs immediate retraining (or replacing) with special guidance given to salt application on food and portion sizes.
I shall certainly never dine there again and would not recommend any passing tourists to do so either.
The locals apparantly have already made their mind up regarding dining (I spoke to a couple and told them about my experience, general opinion was "thats about right, a nice place to drink but not dine")
I will try to leave on a positive note, the staff were pleasant (a bit slow regarding drink refills but pleasant). The cutlery on the table was clean.
The drinks themselves were nicely chilled. I would return for a drink but certainly never to dine.
Alan

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Debzverne, Owner at The Salty Dog Inn, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Very Sad that we didn't delivery a memorable experience for you. We aim to please and as the old story goes we can only please some of the people some of the time. I hope that one day we will get the opportunity to redeem ourselves however understand that this doesn't always happen. Take care. Kind regards Debbie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We ate at the pub while staying in Snells Beach we were made feel welcome on both occasions we came once for a drink only. The young guy behind the bar was very friendly and welcoming. The pizza and fries we had for lunch one day were just devine, the pizza had a lovely thin base and the topping were generousand tasty well worth it. The bowl of fries was really good value for 4.50.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reidsville, NC
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We just checked out after a 12 day stay. Even though it was the off season (winter) the rooms were comfortable and spacious. We had room 6 which had two king (twin) and a fold out couch. The couch bed looked well worn but was sleepable. The bathroom was very nice and our every request was met w a positive answer. I HEARTILY RECOMMEND THIS ACCOMODATION and eatery!

Room Tip: Great value for the money
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Warkworth
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Six of us, 2 local and 4 from overseas decided to have dinner at the Salty Dog restaurant. When we entered we were asked if we had book. When we cobnfirmed that we hadn't, we were told that it would take 5 minutes to check if any of the many vacant tables were available. Not a positive way to greet diners when staff appeared to outnumber diners. We were shown to a table and ordered drinks. Two of us ordered low alc.beer. The 1st drink arrived, the 2nd about 5 minutes later. When trhe food arrived the steaks were given to the wrong people.
When we left the bill payer told the waitress that he was less than impressed with our experience. She then banned him from coming back. A disgusting finish to a bad dinner and a poorly trained staff member.
WE WILL NEVER RETURN.

Room Tip: Go anywhere except here. The Snell's Beach Motels are far better.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Dennis B
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We had a meal here while we were staying in Snells Beach. The food was good and our waitress was very friendly and helpful when dealing with food allergies. Our children were made to feel very welcome.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
West London
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We used this as an overnighter from Tongariro up to Kerikeri on our travels.
We had already told them we would check in late, we got there at 8.30pm and contrary to the menu stating the bar food (not the main restaurant food) would still be available til 9pm... the kitchen had closed. Starved - the staff could only suggest "um.... maybe somewhere in Warkworth is open, i don't know anywhere though", the local supermarket was long shut and our only option was the petrol station - a loaf of bread and some vegemite. lovely.

The area is not lit up so finding our way in to our ground floor room was difficult. there were beer cans lying in the flowerbed and as we opened the door the smell of damp was horrible. but starvation and overwhelming tiredness battled us.

This place had one of the best websites we had seen in NZ so we expected more. But it is extremely misleading. Especially the photo's. There are green lawns, but the edge of these lead to a petrol station a liquor land and The Warehouse.

There is no ventilation in the bathroom which is causing the damp in the rooms, so when we opened the bathroom window to try and solve this half the local spider population crawled in. and every window was steamed up with the curtains sticking to them. I dread to think how much mould is hiding behind cupboards and under the bed.

The bed linen and towels were clean and very comfortable, but the towels hung in the kitchen as opposed to the bathroom and the toaster being our only cooking option took 3 of it's highest settings to toast the bread. And this also set the smoke alarm off too...

Being run by a pub/restaurant and also being the most expensive of our accommodation i was disappointed that they provided cheap (and nasty) UHT milk instead of the fresh milk even our $59 a night accommodation had provided. So no nice cup of tea or coffee for you.

There is no added value or anything that stands out to balance out the bad, some of the indoor furniture is outdoor furniture and there is no privacy from your neighbours. Hearing upstairs every time they shifted their weight or ran a tap just added to our annoyance. The money we spent could have given us two nights at somewhere of much better quality.

Room Tip: if you do still book then go upstairs - then the idiot downstairs can hear your toilet flush and foo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nicm_80
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We stayed here for a friend's 50th birthday and really enjoyed it. We stayed for two nights and the rooms were nice and big with a lounge and coffee table as well. The only things I didn't like was there was no blind on the entry door so the morning sun came streaming in and woke me up earlier than I liked! Also the pillows were small and flat and when I asked for more they were the same. It was really good having the pub just across the grass so you didn't have to worry about driving home from the pub. You could also wander across for a meal or brekky in the morning. Top floor rooms have a balcony too. Very convenient location near the shops. Great value for money!

Room Tip: get a room on the top floor so you have a balcony with a view
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Snells Beach
Riverside Matakana
Riverside Matakana
#1 of 7 in Matakana

Been to The Salty Dog Inn? Share your experiences!