We were only able to enjoy the resort for one day, but it was a great day at a beautiful location.
We arrived on Tahiti a little late due to Air France's antiquated reservation system canceling half of our flight's tickets and needing to re-book at the counter, but that's another story. It was a long and exhausting flight, but we made it to Tahiti and through immigration in time to catch the Terevau ferry across. It rained all the way over and we caught a quick nap.
We arranged a private transfer through the hotel concierge. As arranged, our driver was.waiting for us with a sign that had our name on it. We were quickly on our way for the 35 minute ride to the IC. The roads to the resort are not in very good shape so it was a bit bumpy, but our driver was a nice lady and it was a good ride overall.
We arrived well before check in time, but were greeted warmly with a nice fruit drink. We were given access to a transit room for a shower and changed into swimwear for the wait until our room became available. I was given a phone that they would call when it was ready, It was maybe 10 am. 15 minutes later my phone rang. My OWB was ready.
The resort is fairly spread out and beautiful. We were on the far eastern side so it's a bit of a hike, but worth it. The bridges and the water ... and everything... was just amazing. The water off of our room wasn't all that great, but that's OK. It was still a great room and a great view. The AC, while a bit noisy, worked very well. The bed was comfortable, though my opinion may be influenced by the fact that we were exhausted! We really enjoyed the room and location overall. It had a great breeze off of the water and was turned in such a way that we had pretty good privacy from rooms next to us.
We did not eat lunch at the hotel, but took a walk down to another hotel with a restaurant nearby where we had a fabulous meal. We spent the afternoon on our deck and arranged for dinner at the Tiki village through the concierge. The viliage was neat and the show was good, but the dinner was just OK. I do not recommend going if it is your first night since it is a long event and runs late. My wife and I were falling asleep during the show because we were so tired.
We scheduled a late check out with my Platinum Ambassador status the next day and got to really enjoy the pool and kayaked for a bit after breakfast. The buffet was good and the location overlooking the pool is great.
Not too far out off the dock is a location where stingrays and black tipped sharks congregate. It was our first experience of many with the sharks over the course of the week. They are simply beautiful creatures and generally harmless.
One thing to be prepared for when you go is that people aren't exaggerating about the prices. Drink costs are extremely high so we were conservative. You can get beer or wine from a local store for a bit less, but still pricey compared to resorts in the Caribbean. Still, we really enjoyed a nice drink by the pool.
Overall, I would most definitely stay at the IC Moorea again. It was the highlight what was a very good week in French Polynesia. If we had stayed there the whole week, I would have come back very broke, but very happy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa is nestled between mountains and a lagoon on a stunning French Polynesian island. Right on the resort grounds is Moorea's widest range of activities, which includes the Moorea Dolphin Center, Bathys Diving Club, tennis, kayaking, canoeing, skiing and Jeep tours. The Arahurahu Marae temple is also worth a visit. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelbag, Agoda, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Resort & Spa Moorea Hotel Moorea
- Intercontinental Resort And Spa Moorea
- Intercontinental Hotel Moorea
- InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa French Polynesia