“Beautiful hotel and great service”

InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Papetoai
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My new husband and I were pleasantly surprised by how beautiful and expansive the property is. We drove past a couple other popular resorts and IC had the nicer grounds by far. We were escorted to a couple lounge chairs facing the dining area and pool and brought tasty welcome drinks and a refreshing towel. I love this type of check-in process. Much more welcoming than standing over a high counter to the clicking of a keyboard. They took our names and vouchers from our travel agent and returned with quick paperwork. We were very early having arrived around 8:30am. We decided to explore the grounds then relax by the eternity pools until our room was ready. Everyone was very friendly. I asked for a "transit room," which is a shower and changing room for those waiting to check-in or for those who have checked-out.

To our pleasant surprise we were told our bungalow was ready around 9:30am even though check-in wasn't until 2pm. We booked a Beach Premium Junior Suite Bungalow. It was excellent. Spacious, comfortable, and private with strong AC and wifi. We were by some coral and colorful fish with unobstructed views of the ocean and a tree over our patio for shade. We also had pre-bought a dinner set, which we used for the Wednesday night BBQ buffet and Polynesian show. Both the food and show were great and because we were honeymooners (and our excellent travel agent, I suspect) we had special front and center seats with special chairs and a large floral centerpiece. We also had the breakfast buffet included everyday. It had a great selection of veggies, meats, omelet station, crepe/pancake station, fruit, pastries and cereals. I thought the food wouldn't be great since a lot has to be imported. I was wrong. Don't forget the French pride about food. I still dream of the butter wafting from the pastry section and the warm freshly baked croissants.

There is a turtle rehab center, where it was nice to see a couple big ones swimming around. There is also a dolphin center, which I am a little conflicted about. I don't think they are there for rehab but are kept there for tourists. Their swimming pools are not nearly big enough, but they do seem well fed.

There is decent coral in the lagoon they artificially transplanted. Snorkel gear is easy to borrow free of charge for the stay. Just beware there are lots of mosquitoes on the island as it is quite lush. Location is good. We were able to walk 15min to a small market with good prices, 20 min to a popular beachside restaurant, and 30min to a shopping center.

Room Tip: We had an ocean view, which was very private and quiet, but Moorea's mountain is really beautifu...
1  Thank barosoap
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you. This is all I should answer to such a great comment as you said it all. Your experience is exactly what we strive for and it is so rewarding to see that we made it.
Thank you for your stay and thank you for the great comments. Your words will be passed on to the teams and the individuals.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back one day!
With my warm regards,

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We took a boat taxi to get to Moorea. The hotel is located on another part of the island but it was a amazing to see the land on the way to the hotel. The hotel was great! The rooms were nice and clean! The staff were very helpful and friendly. The grounds itself were beautiful.

Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for your very kind comment.
It is always encouraging to hear that our Clients will keep memories of their visit to our Hotel forever and ever.
Come back soon for another celebration!
Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I hate the one-off reviews that don't fairly represent the every day standards of a hotel. I get it. You booked through Priceline and didn't get the honeymoon suite you were hoping for. Get over it. So know that overall this hotel is a wonderful property supported by a dedicated staff keeping impeccable rooms with well manicured grounds. Having researched all the over-water properties on Mo'orea, I felt like we made the right pick.

That said, let me tell you my story. There were four couples staying for two nights before ferrying back to Tahiti to pick up a cruise. We initially, and individually, booked our rooms months in advance. We booked them as cancelable rooms so we could take advantage of any reductions in price later. Ultimately that is what we did, cancel the full rate room, re-book for the pay-up-front now discounted rate when we were a month from our departure.

Two days before we were to leave I received a phone call from the hotel saying there appeared to be some confusion. The polite young man wanted to know if I had intended to book two rooms for the same period of time. No, I explained, I had a cancelled notice in my file, I only wanted one room. No problem, he assured me, he would take care of it.

Unbeknownst to me another couple received a similar phone call. The difference was, they thought they made clear, they cancelled a beach bungalow and re-booked as an over-water bungalow. Again, I am told, the young man who called said he would take care of it and that was the end of that.

When we arrived the other couple was given a beach bungalow. They asked why they were not getting an over-water bungalow as their paper confirmation indicated. They were told that room had been cancelled. After indicating that was not their intention and that they wanted an over water bungalow (like the other three couples in our group) the problem was escalated to the general manager.

Let me stop here. Even though this is an Intercontinental managed property, the hotel is quite small by U.S. standards. According to their website there are only 144 rooms of which 29 are premium over-water bungalows and 21 are basic over-water bungalows. Although I didn't have the conversation with the general manager, she may have been between a rock and a hard place in that there may not have been any availability for the over-water bungalows.

I found fault with her dealings with my friends on two counts. First, there was an assumption made by the young man who called them that the later, over-water bungalow was the reservation to be cancelled. Given the difference in the type of room, it should have been clear that they were trying to upgrade when they made the later reservation. The general manager would not admit that perhaps her employee had misunderstood my friends intent.

Secondly, when things got a little heated, my friend tells me the general manager blurted out at one point, "You are lucky I am not charging you for two rooms since you never cancelled it." Okay, that is hitting below the belt.

I was part of the conversation the next day when were were checking out because I had a copy of my Internet cancellation notice with me. The general manager was only too happy to point out that while the page says "cancelled", there is a little tab at the bottom of the Internet page that says you are not officially done until you click it. Sounds like a speed trap to me. I am pretty savvy about traveling and I never noticed that tab. And I bet half the people trying to cancel don't either, hence the phone call from the young man.

The phone call that I received from the young man, and the phone call my friends received from the young man are evidence that this happens a lot. In my business world when you run into flawed processes, you fix them. I understand a webpage fix is beyond a general manager's control, but the lack of sensitivity when discussing the situation was not.

Our group only used the swim up bar for drinks and lunch that first day as we waited for our rooms. I bought coffee and a hot chocolate in the hotel the next day. After paying about $10.00 USD for that I did notice that the dining areas were quite nice, even if the food was expensive. We preferred to have local restaurants pick us up for meals which worked out great.

Our over-water bungalows (rooms 622, 623 & 624) were located over a deep part of the lagoon permitting us to dive from our dock into the water. The rooms were well appointed. The bathrooms were large, well appointed with all the usual amenities. The unit was large, airy and kept cool by an efficient, if slightly noisy, air conditioning system.

But for the one issue, the over-water bungalows were a highlight of a fabulous trip. Even our friends enjoyed their beach side bungalow. They just wish the Intercontinental had accommodated their desire and put them in an over-water bungalow with the rest of us.

Room Tip: Over water bungalow 623 faced the rising sun, had plenty of depth to dive off the dock. Other over w...
1  Thank KenVicLee

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time and comments.

I am happy to see that you had a pleasant time and enjoyed our property. As with most destinations, visitors have the option to choose from a few hotels and it is always encouraging for any hotellier to hear a client feel that they "made the right pick".

I am sorry for the frustration you encountered with your reservations. Although we understand the temptation, we highly discourage guests from making double reservations as this can lead to problems. Unlike what you seem to have assumed, this is very rare and the fact that we noticed this situation in advance and took the measures to contact you and your friend to avoid a problem upon arrival only shows how thorough we are with checking all our reservations in advance. A double reservation when a hotel is running on high occupancy can indeed be subject to full penalties and we make extra efforts to ensure our guests are not penalised by a mistake or misunderstanding as online bookings are purely technical and out of our control.

Finally, you consider our website to be a 'speed trap', I would think many guests would welcome the opportunity to confirm that you indeed are wishing to cancel a reservation rather than be faced with an unintended cancelation.

Nonetheless, we understand the frustration endured and are sorry that you had this experience.

Thank you once again for your visit.

Kind sunny regards,

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We came here on our way to Australia/New Zealand on Air Tahiti Nui's flight deal. Selected the overwater bungalow, but had to get 2 with their package as we had 2 kids. When we checked in, the manager asked why we had two bungalows. We explained about the flight package and they were sad we had to spend all the extra money as we could all stay in one room (this was not advertised anywhere - please call the hotel and ask about their policies). The bungalows are large - we stayed in the king bed and the two kids each had a single (the sofa and a pull out mattress under the sofa). There is still plenty of room - two large chairs and a desk. Also a balcony with chairs and tables. The kids enjoyed jumping off the balcony into the water and snorkelling there as well as in the lagoon. Happily, the management gave us free internet, free breakfast and free meals for the kids. They didn't have to, but we really appreciated the gesture. We also rented a car and drove around the island a bit. The only bad part was the rain. It rained and rained and rained...so I guess I'll have to come back to enjoy all the water activities we could not participate in and see the beauty of the island with sun. We did the dolphin activity - it was a lot of money, but was very memorable for the kids. Staff were friendly to my children.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tonya W
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Tonya,
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for your beautiful comment.
I am always very encouraged to learn first hand from our valued guests of their experiences whilst staying at our Hotel. Your very appreciative comments are being shared with our entire team as we all feel a great sense of satisfaction and joy in knowing that we have collectively ensured that you and your family really enjoyed your stay with us and that you intend to return.
Thanks again for your encouragement and we look forward to welcoming you back to Moorea in the near future.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 2 June 2014

First off, I have to say that we loved the intercontinental, it is a beautiful resort with alot of charm. The pools are very large and extremely accessible. The food was very good in the restaurant, however we limited it to breakfast only after getting the check for lunch . Great burger but ,too expensive. We went to Snack Mahana down the road. One thing about this hotel is that each bungalow is located in a very different area. If you like deeper water snorkling the 500 rooms are great . If you want shallow water ask for the lagoon, if you want to see the dolphins ask to be near them. We also found the staff to be very helpful!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that caters to your needs, sunsets, snorkeling,near main restaurant, handicap,etc
1  Thank Tom A

Dear Tom,
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for your very kind comment.
Your description is perfect. Our Hotel is both a place where one can relax on the beach but also offering a diversity of excellent snorkeling.
Rest assured that I will pass your compliment at all staff.
Thank you again for your visit.
Kind sunny regards,

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week in route to Bora-Bora. Pool and ocean are amazing near hotel. Recommend staying at Hotel and not overwater bungalow, really no different especially if you're going to Bora-Bora. Food is great and buffet is convenient

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JC3337
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Ia Orana from Moorea!
I would like to thank you for your stay with us and for your comment.
I am happy to see that you have enjoyed our Hotel.
We hope to welcome you one day for another event ....

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We spent 3 days at the InterContinental Resort and Spa Moorea and enjoyed every minute!

We arrived mid-morning and were greeted with a welcoming non-alcoholic drink and apologies that our room was not ready; we were dismayed to hear this news as we wanted to settle in right away and we envisioned a long wait until the official check-in time (2:00pm). Within 10 minutes, however, we were politely advised that everything was ready and we were driven to our Premium Overwater bungalow.

The rear of the bungalow was on land but the deck overhung the water. Inside we were impressed by the size and comfort of our accommodation, which had a large bathroom and separate toilet. To be honest, the bungalow was aging but spotlessly clean, the bed was very comfortable and there was a well-stocked mini-bar. Other guests on this page have reviewed their Premium Overwater accommodation with disappointment that the bungalow was not entirely over water, but we were perfectly happy and the water below the deck was clear and inviting. The fish were amazing -- even more exciting when several black-tipped reef sharks shark casually swam by. At nighttime you can illuminate the water below your bungalow and observe the nightlife in the ocean from the comfort of your deck. Free wifi is available in the bungalow.

The hotel has excellent facilities for everyone. There were secluded areas with stunning and romantic views for couples; a turtle reserve, dolphin center, great snorkeling in the hotel lagoon, and kid-friendly menus for families; and a great spa and gym facilities for those who want to be pampered or work off some of those extra pounds that are inevitably gained during a stay in Moorea!

Breakfast was plentiful, well-cooked, beautifully presented with many choices. We ate heartily at breakfast and did not need to eat again until dinner. Dinner was very good and the staff helpful and friendly. The beach bbq and dance program looked tempting but, as we had already seen a similar show at the IC Tahiti Resort in Papeete, we decided not to bother.

The hotel is fairly isolated and one afternoon we walked to La Petite Village to check out the souvenirs, use the ATM, etc. Walking at an easy pace took us about 40 minutes each way. La Petite Village is, indeed, "petite" but we found an interesting boutique which sold authentic items, i.e. not made in Taiwan or Indonesia. Another day we took an ATV tour that was huge fun! We are not youngsters (both in our late 60s) but, nevertheless, we enjoyed every minute of our off-road experience, standing in awe at the amazing views from the Belvedere lookout, exploring the ancient Marae, and learning all about the fruits and crops at the Agricultural School.

I have no negatives to report. Moorea is a stunningly beautiful island with friendly people and the InterContinental was the perfect choice for us.

1  Thank sgn1
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for your very encouraging and wonderful comments.
Moorea is a beautiful island rich in flora, fauna, culture and traditions.
I am so happy that we managed to work everything out exactly as you wanted it.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back one day.
We'll all be here waiting!
With my warm regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Papetoai
Manava Beach Resort & Spa - Moorea
#4 of 4 in Maharepa
Hotel Les Tipaniers
Hotel Les Tipaniers
#6 of 13 in Moorea

Been to InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!