“Dont trust the ambassador program”

InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Papetoai
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We went this Resort for our honeymoon, and prior to make our bookings we got the Ambassador card for USD 200, as Intercontinental stated on every of its Ads that the Ambassador card would guarantee an upgrade at every stay (check their website, it is still there). I got the card at home and it came with several printed materials stating the samething, a guaranteed upgrade at every stay. I checked online and on the material on how I should proceed to guarantee the upgrade, and in all of them it just said that I needed to present my card at the hotel on check-in. Guess what? Upon arrival no upgrade was offered and none was granted upon request. It is just absurd that the hotel simply dont ablige to the adds it makes. To my surprse, when I got to my room I saw a printed add stating:"Guaranteed upgrade at everystay, join the Ambassador today" It is intentionally misleading persons to spend USD 200 on a card on exchange of benefits that they dont deliver. I feel robbed by the hotel and will seek compensation. This is not an honest way of doing business.
On the hotel itself: The service and specially the food is well below the level you expect for the price they charge. Concierge was very late and made us lose an activity we waned to book. The structure is really great. The pros most people state here is true, I just preffer to go to another resort that I can trust.

6  Thank DiegoLuz
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment.

Like for most programs and promotions there are exceptions to the rule and reservations via travel agencies for French Polynesian properties are one of them. The upgrade is subject to availability only due to the specificity of the destination.
We do our best to provide the upgrade as we know how important that is for our guests. However on certain periods of very high occupancy we simply do not have the capacity to do so (reason for the exception).
We understand your disappointment should you not have had this information prior (all agencies have clearly been notified) and we are sorry for the frustration experienced. Should you not have made your reservation via an agency, please kindly contact us directly.

I seize this opportunity to once again stress the importance voicing frustration when in the resort as we are many working long hours to help ensure all discrepancies are clarified and problems resolved.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,611)

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Back not too long ago from a 6 night stay at the Moorea ICH hotel, very large well kept property, staff really friendly,some wonderful traditional dance/buffet nights every week, no complaints; but not a great beach, my premium beachfront bungalow was a rockwall and dark brown water. .. If you are thinking of a beachfront bungalow here, {I was in 316] go to the lowest level and these are the most beautiful, with a white sand beach, palm trees, blue water.. bungalows # from 301-412 in good location with wonderful turquoise water.. My complaint to my travel agent Tahiti Legends did nothing, although they were great about putting the trip together, the details of exactly what a 'premium waterfront bungalow' and this particular problem was not known to them. From speaking to others staying in bungalows next to me they felt upset as well, no beach, no one swimming in this water anyway...Management did offer to move me 2 days before I left and I declined.. earlier perhaps I would have moved.. If you are looking for a white sand beach this is either the public beach {Tamae Beach] on the other side of the island, next to the Sofitel, which also has a beautiful beach and is well known for that. The ICH is also located in a very quiet area, not much going on except to go on day tours thru the concierge, who was very nice and explained all the tours available..... Two beautiful swimming pools to relax in... no hotel shuttles available due to island laws, however some smaller hotels on the opposite side of the island offer a shuttle several times a day in to the little town of Maparepa, where there is a large supermarket and some shops.. Moorea is a beautiful island, people so friendly, very easy to rent a car and spend a few hours seeing the entire coastline. I was able to connect with Poerani Ebb, who teaches cooking, Tahitian dance, and all traditional Tahitian instruments.. a fabulous experience as she has so much knowledge and speaks English well.. [www.tkape.fr] made my visit so special and cant wait to go back again! Wonderful trip.

Room Tip: if lookiing for a beach front bungalow select from the area down towards the first bridge that goes...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank birdi087
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments.

Whilst we respect your personal preference for our standard beach bungalows over the premium units, I would like emphasise that one cannot make generalisations as our guests are each different. Someone looking for ultimate privacy will fall in love with the cocooning of a garden pool bungalows. Alternatively the premium beach and overwater units will fulfil guests wanting to spend hours looking out to the open, unobstructed ocean.

Similarly, the Tamae Beach is indeed beautiful but it is also subject to local crowds on weekends and holidays which is far from offering the private and secure atmosphere found within our resort. Once again, it depends on what one is seeking and this diversity is what makes Moorea such a special island.

Unfortunately I will have to disagree regarding the location of our property. Continuously we have guests of other resorts coming to the InterContinental to take part in activities available only here (Moorea Dolphin Center, Aquablue, Polynesian Spirit, Motu picnics, ect) and the shops and restaurants nearby offer an easy way to penetrate the lifestyle of the residents of Tiahura.
Whilst the law in Moorea does indeed forbid resorts from operating their own transfers in order to preserve the local economie, the Petit Village de Tiahura is accessible by foot or bicycle and maybe the shuttles you have seen were ones of nearby restaurants which, on the contrary, are allowed to transfer they clients.

Finally, we are happy to read that you enjoyed your Polynesian experience and that you plan or returning to our small piece of paradise. It is indeed a very authentic island which offers a wholesome representation of the local culture and tradition and it is of no surprise that its population, like Poerani, are so proud to share its secrets.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

First night we arrived there were two roaches in the closet. We called house keeping and a lady came with a spray and killed the two. The spray left a horrid smell but it got the job done. The next two nights of our stay were fine but the fourth we noticed while sitting outside, the dry grass that made our roof from the outside of our water bungalow was infested with these insects, which we believed were also roaches. The next night, also our last, was the worst. We found a roach on the bed. A man came to clean it up sprayed the horrible-smelling spray and left without a word. After that, we found four more roaches. One in the bedroom, few in the main room, and two behind the curtains. This wasn't the best experience... However, the food was fine, the view was amazing, and the activities were great. The experience would have been so much better without the roaches.

• Stayed: June 2014
6  Thank sehothetraveler
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments.

As explained bellow, Pandanus Scarabes, like geckos, mosquitoes and other insects are part of the wildlife in French Polynesia and are not associated with any negative connotations that may be applicable in other countries.

Rest assured that, for the comfort of our guests, we do our best to ensure their numbers are reduced as much as possible and we are sorry that this nonetheless had a negative impact on your stay.

We thank you once again for your visit.

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and i just got back from our honeymoon. We really liked the hotel and the staff was really friendly our first day was wednesday and they had a bbq buffet night with polynesian dancers. The food was good and it was a good show, it was a bit pricey though. We ate at the Fare Nui once and that was a mistake, the food did not taste good and my husband had pieces of hard plastic in his plate. There other restaurant is cheaper but still overpriced but the food there was not good either, stay away from the hotel food if you can. The only decent thing to eat was the burgers and calzones. Besides the food my only other complain would be that on the weekend they seemed to be understaffed. We went to happy hour and sat there so long waiting to be served that we missed happy hour. We felt sort of ignored as it seemed they were more attentive to bigger groups and they forgot our order a few times.
We did decide to stay at the intercontinental for reasons other than the food. We had a partial over water bungalow next to the sea turtle clinic. We had an amazing view, we snorkeled and kayaked. We had a great time. The pool was never cold it was a good temperature and both pools are a good size. We got to see the turtles, dolphins and right off our deck we saw colorful fish, rays and a few sharks. If the food were better this place would get 5 stars.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Beatriz R
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Beatriz,
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for your visit and for your comment.
I am sorry to hear that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations particularly the wait at the bar for happy hour at high occupancy at this time and rest assured that these points will be addressed to further improve our service and facilities.
I must admit that I am surprised as overall feedback regarding the food is very positive, both in presentation, choice and quality. Like many things we all have varying tastes.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Iaorana! My partner and I travelled to Tahiti for a much needed holiday. The first night we stayed on the main Island (Papaete). The following day we caught the ferry to Moorea. as we were arriving the setting of the Island was just magical or as my partner described it (a setting from Jurassic Park lol). The shuttle ride was hot and humid although once we arrived at the Intercontinental we were ushered through the lobby to an area that was cool, under fans and over looed the terrace, pool and the ocean. The staff then brought us a refreshing orange juice and cold scented hand towels! Great start really! After the easy check in process the staff helped us to our room with our bags.. We thought this resort was absolutely beautiful! We had stunning views, the food was great, breakfast, lunch and dinners! Snorkelling around the resort was magical with all of the tropical fish. Seeing the dolphins and turtles at an arms reach was also great. The staff were always friendly and did everything they could if you needed help. We did a number of excursions and even hired scooters to tour the Island (recommend) I also recommend (FranckyFrancks Island Tour) he was a character and was very informative.
I hope to return to Moorea and stay at this lovely resort again!
Mauruuru

2  Thank Timi T
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Timi,
Ia Orana from everyone at Moorea!
Thank you very much for your lovely comments.
It was a pleasure to welcome you to our "small piece of Paradise" and we are delighted to hear you have brought home with you such special memories.
I have posted your message in all our departments and as you can imagine it has brought warmth to all employees.
Mauruuru roa
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back one day.
We'll all be here waiting!
Warm sunny regards,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I love this hotel. The staff was friendly, rooms are nice. But beware of the crazy expensive food prices. My advice. Walk to the grocery down the road for fresh baguette's, snacks and drinks! For dinners - Most of the local restaurants will come and pick you up and drive you back home after dinner.

Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for your comment.
I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and particulary the friendliness of all staff.
Regarding the food prices, the purpose of a holiday is also to indulge and have lifestyle different from home.
Thank you again for your visit.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

This resort is just gorgeous! The setting is so very pretty with something for everyone. One of the things I really liked is not only the park like grounds, but the fact that due to it being set over several acres, the resort never felt crowded. It was so nice not having to get up early in the morning to reserve your deck chair like you do in other places because there were ample for all guests in various locations throughout the resort. The Dolphin Centre and Turtle Centre were great, a real highlight! The bed was soooo comfortable and the curtains were so amazing that I thought it was the middle of the night when I woke up at 8am!!! Cleanliness was excellent with nice quality toiletries.
I didn't stay in a bungalow but was very happy with my ocean view room, and one of the advantages of staying in this type of room is that I was about 10 steps from the pool.
The pool area is spectacular, it's a really, really good sized pool with views to the lagoon and a swim up bar. Food was reasonably priced and quite good, and there was a happy hour from 4.30 - 5.30 daily for cocktails.
I would have given the resort 5 out of 5 but did find there were a few small issues with the service as follows;
The service at the swim up bar was very slow as there wasn't normally a staff member down there and they didn't look to see if you were waiting
I had to visit the concierge 4 times before my return airport transfer was booked, at other resorts you normally provide your information and they will send info/confirmation to your room
There was no chair service at the pool which again I've found to be the norm at equivalent resorts elsewhere
They have a happy hour but one of the staff was unaware of how it worked and tried to get me to buy 4 cocktails, when all you actually needed to do is buy one to get one free
They tried to charge me for WIFI although it's actually included when you choose the standard option which I did, they did rectify this as soon as I pointed it out though.
Don't get me wrong none of that stuff ruined my holiday and I'd certainly stay here again, it's just that there were several issues which you don't really want to be dealing with when you're meant to be relaxing on holiday. But I am being picky as I really loved it!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Ia Orana from Moorea!

I would like to thank your for comment.
We are very happy to learn that you really love our Hotel.
I am sorry to hear that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations and rest assured that these points will be addressed to further improve our service and facilities.
We hope to see you back one day,
Kind regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Papetoai
6 mi away
5 mi away
Hotel Kaveka
Hotel Kaveka
#4 of 4 in Maharepa

Been to InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!