See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Very friendly owner and the hotel is clean and well kept, yet is stuck in the 1970's. We didn't mind that very much though, as we found the retro decor & furnishings quite appealing. The photo of the room on here is a little misleading though. We didn't like the sliding door to the bathroom; we found it not to be very private at all. The shower was also difficult to get under, it had a maximum height of just over 5 feet and I am 6 foot tall.
My biggest gripe though was the breakfast, I have stayed at the Hotel a couple of times before, about 4 years ago and the full cooked breakfast was second to none. I booked the Hotel through laterooms with this in mind & told my now partner that the breakfast was to die for. Unfortunately on arrival we were told that if you book through Late Rooms then breakfast is actually not included, and if we wanted it, we would have to pay £6 each for each night's stay. We paid £12 for the first morning's breakfast and what a total disappointment! They are now serving cheap budget everything, the sausages were tiny and bland, the eggs were like they were laid by a pigeon, and the toast was wafer thin & no mushrooms! Needless to say, we didn't have breakfast on our second morning; we went to the Harbour Cafe in Rhos and for less money and had proper full English Breakfasts with all the trimmings! Drinks in minibar also expensive, £2.50 for one 500ml can of lager & £4.95 for a tiny bottle of wine.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Filthy cutlery, moldy sauce bottles, meager breakfast, i couldnt eat mine on the second day, due to my son having a fly land in his!! Rude owners, no apology for cutlery, accused me of doing it myself! It was dried on! Best Hotels i recommend in Llandudno, The lily, and for a cheap, but fantastic guest house, the Clifton hotel. If you go to sunnydowns you will be very dissapointed and you cant get your money back, they insist on you paying as soon as you arrive and cash only. (wonder if thats because you might leave early??)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Beverley M
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Very Clean and Comfortable with many facilities which can be found in a 4/5 star hotel, ie room service, trouser press, mini bar, safe in room etc. The rooms are on the small size but it is obvious that that is because each room has been adapted to be en-suite. The towels are fluffy and there is loads of extremely hot water (take care if you have young children). Yes some of the furniture is very dated but it is still clean and servicable, there are not the scuff marks on the walls you usually get in a buget hotel. There was also lots of parking outside the hotel. We paid extra for breakfast which was tasty with the bacon and fried egg done to perfection. My overall feeling was that this hotel needed money spent on it to update it, even to the point of reducing the overall number of rooms to give a more airy feel however, if that was done, then it would not be budget, you cant have it both ways :). Given the area the hotel is in, on a side street some distance from amenities, I think the owner has got it about right but would suggest he gradually upgrades starting with the lounge/bar area.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Calcarb C
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Hotel
The hotel itself is very dated and like stepping back into a mixture of between1950's and 80's
It definitely could do with a revamp. We had a family room which consisted of one double and a small separate box room next door, not ideal if you have very young children but ok for us as my children are teenagers. The rooms are very much like some of the hotels I have stayed in in Blackpool, high turnover and not much loving tender care. I think the owners of these hotels get away with not making them special as they can charge a high rate due to location alone. Although the price was quite good I have stayed in better for less
The hallway and room also have a musty smell that I didn't particularly like, it didn't have that fresh clean smell, it seemed clean it was just the smell. The bed was nice and comfy but instead of a double it was two singles pushed together which was awkward, the sheets felt fresh and clean but the top throwover smelt very much like the rest of the hotel a bit stale .Not a lot of tea/coffee/milk but luckily I brought my own as usual-kettle took absolutely ages to boil and the cups really need replacing-they where defiantly 1970's-very small and quite dangerous as you could barley hold the handles they where that small and with the cup being hot easy to scald yourself.

The good things
We could bring the dog-charged an extra £3 nightly
Lovely location and short walk to the beach

The cons
The hotel owner was just weird-as soon as we stepped in the door he asked for payment and insisted on cash only-explained I don't carry large amounts of cash around(staying for two days)
I asked if we could just go up to our rooms first and settle in after a long journey-he agreed but said there is an ATM just round the corner-I felt this was not welcoming and rather rude
We stayed 2 days and the place was lovely and warm for us(we like it hot)-however it could be to warm for others and I read somewhere that the hotel owner doesn't like you opening the window and has heat on all the time-it was a bit stifling at night-we had turn the heating off
On our last morning we where the last people in the hotel-most had left the day before-the hotel owner turned the hot water off therefore when we ran a bath( 8.30am) it was cold-my husband went down to inform the hotel owner and he basically tried to blame us for using all the hot water when we had only just got up .He said "I had 16 people in here yesterday and the water was hot, you must of used it all" ...ermmmm HELLO how is this possible when we have only just woken up-the man was just strange and I have the feeling he just wanted us out even though check out was not until 10.30am.So we couldn't have a bath or shower...We where not happy bunnies -to add insult to injury as I handed the keys in he asked me if all was ok-I said apart from no hot water yes, he replied "oh its hot now you must of used it all before"...so annoying arrghhhh.I just said "no I think you turned it off which is not very nice".
Shortly after leaving we saw him when we went down to the sea front with the dog...he obviously left straight after us and was in a rush to get out...he looked over at us and gave a little smirk. Strange little man wearing socks and flip flops over the top.
I would never stay there again and would not recommend-If you do stay there don't pay him upfront as then he calls the shots and can turn the hot water off at his leisure
I was going to pay for breakfast as well but cancelled at the last minute -I'm so glad I did as I bet that would have been another experience

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank suga11
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Very very dated, tatty old furniture that should be disposed of to put it politely. whole place smelt musty, albeit it was clean enough. This hotel needs a major overhaul right through from what we could see to bring up to a modern standard. Location excellent, in a very nice little village, Rhos on Sea. The beach is one minute away. If this is three star then I would dread to think what a two star looks like. Like stepping back into a heartbeat film set without accompanying music. Very very basic and lacking in any character. Owner pleasant enough but needs to spend big money to improve it to a modern standard. Sorry but wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: March 2013