“xmas dinner”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 December 2012

my family and I have just had xmas day dinner at the ship, and I was slightly dubious when I made the booking having read some reviews on here and also having not been to the ship in some years, So we were all unsure what to expect but the meal was EXCELLANT, the starter of prawn cocktail was light , the turkey was cooked perfectly , the roast potatoes where REAL roasts, not the frozen ones ,the vegtables also fresh and cooked just right, in fact I would have to say everything was perfect and couldnt find any fault at all .The dessert we chose was the Chef's special mocha cheesecake which was heaven.The staff were very attentive and couldnt have been more helpfull. The dining room is a very smart and modern ,but comfortable.If I have to make any comments on the down side ,as it was xmasday maybe some xmas music would have been more appropriate and maybe a few minutes longer between courses, BUT Im really having to scratch my head to find something bad to say! We will definatly be returning to the Ship and we are very glad we ignored some of the reviews on here, well done to the staff and keep it up

Reviewed 16 December 2012

Stumbled on this place while out on looking for a nice little pub for a roast dinner. This s a nice pub, good parking, nice setting, beautiful building and the recent refit is pretty stunning, however the food was absolutely diabolical. I had prawns for starter and they were frozen to within an inch of there lives, tasted like defrosed ice That's so bad considering where the pub is!!!! Gravy was disgusting, 2 roast potatoes one which was inedible because it was the size of a sprout and over cooked, so ard I couldn't eat it. We both had beef and you couldn't cut it.
I heard 3 other people complain while we were the (we were made to sit in the bar area so I could hear everything)
I don't mind paying for good food but this place is expensive and dreadful, don't go

2  Thank Ladycatherinehay
Reviewed 13 December 2012

I visited the Ship with a friend after we had read there was a new A la Carte menu in the local newspaper. When we got there we could not get in through the side door and had to make our way round to the front of the property to get in. We walked through to the reception desk to find all the staff having a chat on the sofas. We were taken to a seat in the newly refurbished restaurant (which looked lovely) and were given a menu. The menu was NOT a la Carte but a normal pub grub menu with burgers, gammon, sausage and mash and steak. I asked the waitress if this was the only menu and she said 'yes they are waiting for the new ones to come back from the printers which should be any day'. We were really disappointed. I asked if they did any of the wines on the wine menu by the glass and the waitress said yes so we picked a red. She came back a minute later with another lady who told us the wines were only by the bottle but we could have a red house wine by the glass if we only wanted a glass. When the wine came it was really weak and tasted really cheap. I ordered the prawn Risotto which was very nice and my friend had the Lasagna but it was half burnt so she had to leave most of it. Whilst we were eating a couple came in and sat down. They were given a menu and left to have a think. When the waitress came back they asked where the a la carte menu was and she said they did not have one. The couple said they will finish their drinks at the bar but they will not be eating after reading the menu!! We decided to have a pudding. I asked what the apple bakewell was like and the waitress looked at me daft and just walked off. We thought she had gone to ask the chef but when she came back she didn't say anything and just asked if we had decided on a dessert. I actually laughed and asked again. Off she went again and came back with an explanation so I decided to give it a go. It was ok. My friend has the strawberry gateau and said it wasn't very nice. When we were paying for the bill I asked again when the a la carte menu would be in so we could come back. The lady told us they will not be doing a la carte as the chef that designed it had now left and the new chef doesn't do a la carte. So all the advertising in the paper was for nothing as they only offer pub grub which I can get from the Afon Conwy at a better price. I am so so disappointed as I used to eat here regularly and was looking forward to the re opening. It is safe to say I will not be going back and my friend agrees with me!!

1  Thank sez11pink
Reviewed 10 December 2012

The recently completed refurbishment has been good and updated a formerly very tired venue. The sole waiter was helpful and attentive, but rushed off his feet (taking orders, serving food, getting drinks) and getting the hang of the newly introduced menu. Although the menu is somewhat limited, what was served was well cooked and of ample proportions. Only seemed to be bottled beer, with no draught! Participation in the restaurant by the other staff/management could have improved the level/speed of service.

Reviewed 1 December 2012

The pub has recently been refurbished to a very high standard. The food quality was very good, only problem was that they did not delivery all the items listed on the menu. The lasagna chips salad and garlic bread came without chips. Also the Gammon chips egg and pineapple was delivered without the egg. The egg which was an extra item was cooked but not put on the plate. My only other disappointment was the lack of real beers on offer, just bottled or larger. I was not the only guest to request real ale on the evening to be disappointed. I will visit again but will allow them a little more time to iron out there initial opening problems

1  Thank Clive145