“disappointed”

Dining options: Reservations
UK
“disappointed”
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Disappointed as stopped serving the lovely carvery which was always excellent and tasty.Not as tasty now although there was a choice of various roast meat . The waiter brought the food to the table 1 x lamb and 2 x turkey which had the gravy already on the plates, all I could taste on my turkey was the gravy that tasted of lamb which i never eat and hate the taste.I did make a suggestion to the waiter that the gravy would be better served in a jug rather than on the plate.I dont think we will visit in a hurry again.While we were there two lots of customers came in and obviously were looking forward to the carvery but made an exit without ordering.On the positive side the young welsh waiter was very pleasant and helpful.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank roberts6954

Wrexham, United Kingdom
“sunday lunch”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Went there for a family pre-christmas sunday lunch and was very dissappointed with the service,food and the overall atmosphere of the place. The waitress had a cold and kept wiping her nose on the back of her hand, the meal was under cooked and unedible. The presentation of the meals was not as expected and when we complained to the manager, no apology was offered nor did he remove the waitress from front of house or offered us an alternative meals.They have been awarded a food hygiene score of 1 and this was not displayed for the public to see. If we had known this we would not have eaten there. When we went ot pay the manager just offered us a small deduction in our bill (free Kids meal). It is a shame as the Ship has always had a good reputation for excellent cavery and service and it goes without saying that we will definately not be returning again in a hurry.

2 Thank Ceri S
Llandudno, United Kingdom
“Bon Apetite - Not!”
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We decided to stay local for New Years Eve, singer, band, chicken and chips supper for £5, not bad we thought, didn't expect cord on bleu for the price.

The room was cold and draughty with wafts of sooty smell from the ashes from a previous open fire. We asked if a fire could be put in due to it being cold, as we sat in our coats, we were told they would ask the boss but no fire was lit or heating put on, therefore remained cold and in our coats all evening.

Singers introduction was "another bleeding year over" - nice!

Supper arrived painfully over cooked and burnt, asked the waitress if another was available. She did bring a replacement which was slightly better she told us that this is the best they can do, giving a reason this I didn't hear as I was quite shocked and discussed looking at the paper plate of 'food'. In my opinion the food was cooked previously and re fried that evening hence being very over cooked. I was amazed as to how such basic food can be ruined to such a degree, as the other meals I saw looked the same.

No alternative was offered or indeed any sort of remedy, good will or customer service, as this would of improved the evening and acknowledged the food problem.

By 11.15pm most people had left and at 11.30 so did we to let the New Year in at home. All in all a total shambles!

On the plus side gentleman behind the bar was pleasant, the band was good and so was the tomato ketchup in sachets.

2 Thank Jac M
Kent, UK
“NOT a carvery despite what it says on the tin”
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Sunday lunch carvery sounded great, but first of all there's the disappointment of being brought your food ready plated...just like in a normal restaurant really. Then you get to eat the food. JUst dull. We were a party of 3 who had the beef, lamb and pork. None of the cuts of meat were good. The lamb was pretty poor and was mostly left. We didn't wait for the disappointment of a pudding and when I spotted the tins of instant coffee by the till I was glad I skipped that too. It has to be said that the waiting staff were lovely. However I wouldn't want to return. Oh - nearly forgot - there was a "classical guitarist" playing. Well yet again, it wasn't classical music and yet it would have been really pleasant had it not been amplified to the point of distortion.

1 Thank ukpam
Llandudno, United Kingdom
“I really should read Trip Adviser before booking meals.”
Reviewed 28 December 2012

We had reserved a table for 6 for 2pm, our daughters 37th birthday. We had ordered the carvery not knowing they had ceased to serve such meals. This fact was then explained to us, and also that the resteraunt had closed at 2pm, but we could join 3 other people eating in the bar. We were then given a short menu to peruse, but as we attempted to order, he explained that such and such were not available. ie a pub with no food. We ordered drinks while we made our decissions, but no draught beer and no merlot wine. The people on the adjoining table were having hysterics. We asked why our booking had been taken for 2pm when it was obvious there would be no facilities. The very nice waiter who spoke with a very strong spanish accent immediately brought to mind Manuel. He appologised but this did little to pacify my daughter and her three children having looked forward to this treat. He was so helpful but unable to help in that he could not give us a choice of meals to suit our tastes. My daughter nearly resorted to soup. By this time I was expecting Don Joly or candid camera to walk in. We declined the food, paid for the drinks and left deciding to resort to a Chinese take away. We did see the humour in such a daft situation but it didnt fill empty stomachs. We did look in the resteraunt and it looked very nice. Another couple walked in and walked out with us. This was all down to the staff member who accepted the bookings ignorance. He should have declined the booking or warned us reference opening times. Will check Trip Adviser in the future.

2 Thank Peter B