“Wedding anniversary meal nightmare!!”

Moran's Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #3 of 34 Restaurants in Westward Ho
Price range: US$8 - US$33
Cuisines: Seafood, Thai
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Overlooking Bideford Bay out to the Atlantic Ocean with fabulous views, big skies and stunning sunsets over Lundy Island, why not join us for local Devon waters fish, fresh Appledore mussels,local seafood, Devon and Cornwall Farm steaks and wonderful Thai food all cooked in our open theatre kitchen by our team of chefs led by Thai Chef Mack Yaruk. West Country ales and ciders and a list of hand picked wines from around the world. We cater for families daily however after 6 pm we are an adult only restaurant( 14 years old minimum). Moran's as recommended by The Sunday Times (Best of the West).
Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

I’m sad to leave this review but unfortunately I feel that I must let the owners know what experience we’ve had at the restaurant this evening.

Moran’s has been my favourite restaurant since it opened and I have been here many times, had amazing food and even better service.

However after this evening feel I would not return or recommend to anyone.
We reserve visits to Moran’s for special occasions tonight being for our 6th wedding anniversary.

We ordered the set menu but made a couple of changes which the chef was happy to do. Unfortunately when this arrived one of the chicken dishes meat was off. You could smell it and unfortunately my husband ate it.

We called over a waiter who was apologetic and offered another dish of our choice to make up for the chicken, we declined but he insisted that we could choose another so we chose another beef dish. To be honest I’d had enough of the meal by then. The rest of the meal was fine (I can’t say up to usual Moran’s standard) but we finished the meal nonetheless.

When we received the bill I noticed an additional £5 charge for food on top off our set meal prices. I asked the waitress what it was for and she said it was for the extra beef dish we had had!!???

As you can imagine I said I was not happy to pay as we were given gone off chicken and had been offered an alternative, she called over the “manager” who said we were being charged for the dish, we explained what had happened.....he simply said our chicken is fresh so could not be gone off.

After much discussion I told him we would not be paying for the dish but we’re happy to pay the rest of the £170 bill for 4 of us. He basically called us liars about the chicken and stormed off.

He returned 5 mins later and threw the bill down on the table and started walking off. I told him I thought his customer service was appalling and that I would be leaving a review to which he walked up to the Bar and exclaimed he’d been threatened with a review!!!.......Seriously!!

He acted like a petulant child. I told him on paying the bill that I would be speaking with the owner to which he replied I am the owner!! Now I have visited this establishment many times and this jumped up guy in the grey suit is 100% not the owner. When I confronted him with my knowledge he stormed out to the kitchen.

As I said this was my favourite restaurant but after tonight will never return

44  Thank bjpom
Write a ReviewReviews (1,410)

Reviewed 15 June 2018

we booked before hand and i'd recommend doing that as they did turn away people - the food was truly gorgeous and staff friendly and helpful perfecta atmosphere as a couple dining out but equally good for larger groups - I must the Ladies is the bees knees kitted out for all you girlie needs an additional touch of wow to my evening out

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
1  Thank debbiemarie69
Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

We had heard how good the food was in this Thai restaurant. Six of us booked for a meal. We decided to go for a set menu offering a good choice of dishes to share and try. I am allergic to fish and seafood, Moran’s coped with this brilliantly and at each course provided an alternative to a fish dish. This was thoughtful and very welcome.

The chicken satay starter was amazing and had hints of Far Eastern flavors throughout, a great dish.

The main courses were well presented, plentiful and each one different to the next, packed with flavor. No dish was too spicy hot to enjoy. We sampled beef, ducking and prawn truly a great feast topped of with super cocktails.

A must try in North Devon!

Reviewed 14 June 2018 via mobile

Went today with family and friends, the staff were brilliant, but the food was even better. Highly recommend!

Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

Went Tuesday night with my dear wife
had the Special meal for two starter plater ok not great mane dishes come but cold sent back came again cold sent back again still cold sent back again still not up to standed not a good experience no apologies for a crap meal spent.over £85.00

8  Thank alfred92016