“secret seaside gem”
Review of The Cliff House

The Cliff House
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Sunday lunch at The Cliff House hotel and fab experience from start to finish. Situated on the clifftop with uninterrupted views to Isle of Wight one way and Bournemouth the other. Drinks outside then delicious three course lunch in sunny, fresh decor dinng room. Lots of choice, homemade, veggie too. Very reasonable price very friendly efficient service. Great walk along clifftop essential afterwards to walk off the rhubarb crumble and homemade custard! Can't wait to go back soon.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fooderella

Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

I attended a wedding at Highcliffe Castle this weekend and forgot to book a room until last minute. Being a bank holiday weekend, everywhere was fully booked! I took a risk and booked this hotel which I've never heard of before. I am so glad that I did because it was fantastic from start to finish! They accommodated me brilliantly and were flexible for early check so I could change for the wedding!

I stayed in the Thames room which is single occupancy. The facilities were fantastic and they provided everything you will need...and more! The only thing I could comment on was how low the toilet/sink were (I am tall so had to kneel to brush my teeth), but this was me being really fussy. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room very spacious.
Breakfast was delicious with high quality ingredients and great coffee - some beans would've just made it that little bit more special! The hostess was warm and attentive and the views from the breakfast room are stunning.

Overall this hotel is a fantastic place to stay and I will definitely be returning!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank michaelrbirch
Reviewed 19 May 2013

What a fantastic location......with lovely views of the Isle of Wight. Great service with caring hosts, Well presented and tasty food with a good selection of Beverages. A must visit if you're in this part of the world.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank johnleybourne
Reviewed 18 May 2013

We ate at the Cliff House yesterday, going to their 'Fish and Fizz' evening.
This is a lovely small local hotel with spectacular sea views, a very pretty and welcoming atmosphere and good food.
My husband had the local fish(battered) served with chips and peas, he said the fish was delightful and very fresh but slightly disappointed with the chips- just lacking in a bit of flavour.
I had the Moroccan couscous with fillet of hake- and it was absolutely delicious, I really couldn't fault it- very fresh fish, perfectly cooked with slightly spicy fragrant couscous
We had a glass of very pleasant pink fizz with the meal.
The staff were particularly friendly and smiley - especially as they were very busy with some large groups at other tables.
Wouldn't hesitate to go again, good value and would recommend.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Just returned from another short break at this gem of a hotel and once again we had a wonderful time. The rooms are quite small but the views across to the Isle of Wight are stunning. The food is excellent – very creative and lovely fresh ingredients. The duo of lamb was superb. The service is friendly and the hosts (Kerry, Donald and Donna) good company. I would definitely recommend this hotel as a great base for anyone planning a break in the New Forest. We will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2013

This was the second time that my husband and I visited this charming hotel. The owners and staff are so very friendly and helpful. We had the Plymouth room which looked out directly over the large solent bay. You can even lay in bed and watch the waves! Very good English breakfast and a lovely restaurant for evening or lunchtime meals. We ate there on Saturday the 6th of April and it was a superb meal. Must say our room had a double bed, we are used to a super king so it was very cosy! Not a big room at all but adequate for our needs. However there is a snug lounge and if the weather is good sit outside and enjoy the super views.

Room Tip: Try to go for the Plymouth or the Portland rooms as these have the great views.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We have visited this restaurant on numerous occasions and the standard of food is superb.
We had fillet steak with HOMEMADE CHIPS !! which you do not get very often elsewhere.
I cannot praise the staff enough they have always been very polite and serve you in a very professional manner.
The view from the restaurant is outstanding.
What a lovely relaxing, unwinding evening we had, cant wait for our next visit!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sylvie M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barton-on-Sea
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 7 in Barton-on-Sea
Pebble Beach Rooms
Pebble Beach Rooms
#3 of 7 in Barton-on-Sea

Been to The Cliff House? Share your experiences!