“Absolutely Fabulous”

The Cliff House
Thurrock
“Absolutely Fabulous”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I have never stayed in a Hotel with such a warm and friendly welcome it felt as though I was a family friend rather than a Hotel guest.
The decor is attractive, the views of the Solent and Isle of Wight are incredible particularly when dining.
The food was wonderful, apparently sourced from local produce where available.
Great value for money
I enjoyed my stay and look forward to going back soon.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Took my in-laws and my wife to the restaurant at The Cliff, where they have previously eaten many times. As they are of the generation that never wants to make a fuss, I didn't say anything at the time, but when we got home and they said the food was tasteless and the choice uninspiring, I wish I had said something earlier.

I had thought that it was just my tastes and given the generally elderly clientele I just took it to be that I was not part of their target audience. But clearly not.

We won't be going back from choice.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank john_201130
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I was meeting up with a friend which was a last minute decision. After looking on here at the comments I decided to try it out for myself and was very pleased I found it Very nice and clean with a warm welcome from the staff I only stayed one night but the service was very good the food was lovely and staff where very polite I would recommend this is a place to stay and i would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank itspictures
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Sunday lunch at The Cliff House hotel and fab experience from start to finish. Situated on the clifftop with uninterrupted views to Isle of Wight one way and Bournemouth the other. Drinks outside then delicious three course lunch in sunny, fresh decor dinng room. Lots of choice, homemade, veggie too. Very reasonable price very friendly efficient service. Great walk along clifftop essential afterwards to walk off the rhubarb crumble and homemade custard! Can't wait to go back soon.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fooderella
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

I attended a wedding at Highcliffe Castle this weekend and forgot to book a room until last minute. Being a bank holiday weekend, everywhere was fully booked! I took a risk and booked this hotel which I've never heard of before. I am so glad that I did because it was fantastic from start to finish! They accommodated me brilliantly and were flexible for early check so I could change for the wedding!

I stayed in the Thames room which is single occupancy. The facilities were fantastic and they provided everything you will need...and more! The only thing I could comment on was how low the toilet/sink were (I am tall so had to kneel to brush my teeth), but this was me being really fussy. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room very spacious.
Breakfast was delicious with high quality ingredients and great coffee - some beans would've just made it that little bit more special! The hostess was warm and attentive and the views from the breakfast room are stunning.

Overall this hotel is a fantastic place to stay and I will definitely be returning!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank michaelrbirch
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2013

What a fantastic location......with lovely views of the Isle of Wight. Great service with caring hosts, Well presented and tasty food with a good selection of Beverages. A must visit if you're in this part of the world.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank johnleybourne
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2013

We ate at the Cliff House yesterday, going to their 'Fish and Fizz' evening.
This is a lovely small local hotel with spectacular sea views, a very pretty and welcoming atmosphere and good food.
My husband had the local fish(battered) served with chips and peas, he said the fish was delightful and very fresh but slightly disappointed with the chips- just lacking in a bit of flavour.
I had the Moroccan couscous with fillet of hake- and it was absolutely delicious, I really couldn't fault it- very fresh fish, perfectly cooked with slightly spicy fragrant couscous
We had a glass of very pleasant pink fizz with the meal.
The staff were particularly friendly and smiley - especially as they were very busy with some large groups at other tables.
Wouldn't hesitate to go again, good value and would recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barton-on-Sea
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington
Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa

Been to The Cliff House? Share your experiences!