“A lightning visit.....”

Price range: US$26 - US$54
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Opening hours Morning Monday to Friday: 10am - 2.30Pm Saturday: 10am - 3pm Sunday: 10pm - 3pm Evening Monday to Friday: 6pm - 11pm Saturday: 6pm - 11pm Sunday: 6.30Pm - 10.30Pm Serving Times Lunch Monday to Friday: 12pm-2pm Saturday & Sunday: 12pm-2.30Pm Dinner Sunday to Thursday: 6.30Pm-9.30Pm Friday & Saturday 6.30Pm-10pm
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Two of us, long time friends, stayed the one night, had dinner and then lingered for breakfast on the terrace the following morning. Glorious weather obviously helped the overall feeling of well being, but we really did have a fantastic time. We'd read about the rooms, didn't expect a view, pleased at the size (especially the bathroom Room 3) cleanliness, toiletries, tea, coffee, bikkis etc. Bed a bit on the soft side for my personal taste. Electric fan provided as we'd chosen that very hot and humid night. (The reward of which was a spectacular thunder and lightning storm at midnight) The lovely lady on reception had suggested coming down early for dinner, so we did, leisurely drinks on the terrace to admire THAT VIEW. Very clear, Solent and Needles. Dinner was great, spoilt for choice, obviously went for the fish off the daily menu. Sure that the alc would have been equally as great. Fresh, well presented, cooked to perfection. Only sadness was that friend had so gorged on the wonderful variety of fresh bread, that she couldn't face the Gourmet Assiette of Puds (for two) that I had my eye on. So had to contend with the cherry tart.......divine. Washed down with a very reasonably priced bottle of Marlborough Sauvignon. Breakfast, continental included, cooked extra...served after 10 am on the terrace, was also great. Lots of choice and undoubtedly the best dish of freshly prepared breakfast fruit that I have ever had. We found the staff friendly without being obsequious, we were unhurried and treated like special guests. Next time, however, it will be the Penthouse.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,253)

Reviewed 20 July 2014

This lunch was a 63rd birthday present from my husband. We are locals so the view was not particularly important but the Pebble Beach entrance, website and seafood menu attracted us to try. My birthday was on a Saturday and coincided with the PB's popular June Lobster & Strawberry Festival (a fixed price menu for 2 courses) which may explain why things were not quite as perhaps they should have been. For lunch we were told there were "two sittings" and were advised to book the earlier one - 1200 or 1215. This was a good choice we were given an excellent table for 2 (inside as we are used to "Breezy Barton") overlooking the IOW. Arriving early we did not try the Bar. The restaurant was much bigger than we expected from the frontage and website - some 40 covers plus the outside tables - and the décor somewhat reto in style, not as expected but not unagreeable. Service was erratic but always pleasant. And we were allowed to switch from the fixed price menu of Lobster + Strawberry Sweet to a Starter from the a la Carte + Lobster, which we appreciated. My husband's starter was not exceptional either in size or taste although my double soufflé was as good as expected. However our half lobsters were exceptionally excellent both in size and, most importantly, taste. However the mango and avocado didn't add anything to the lobsters (good seafood surely seldom needs such anaccompaniment?) and the potatoes (promoted as from local growers, whom we know are usually good) were pretty tasteless. The Orvietto wine which suited the meal was good value. We didn't have another course but I was presented with a dessert platter with candle and Birthday best wishes in chocolate which was a nice gesture. Whilst toward the end of our meal the restaurant was now very busy with other diners enjoying what seemed to be extremely generous portions of Lobster & other seafood, including large crab, and various Strawberry concoctions such as Eton Mess, we never felt rushed to conclude our meal ( the espresso coffees were good) and were there enjoying the whole experience for almost 3 hours. And my husband later said the bill was extremely reasonable. We will not rush back to PB during the summer but possibly later in the year. But we do think it is probably an excellent venue for a special occasion and suggest anyone tries Pebble Beach just to find out.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is a truly very good restaurant and the food is always very very good. You have a wide choice of seating both inside and outside (weather permitting!) and several round tables excellent for parties of six or eight. There is a very large selection of dishes on the menu and so you should find something you like. This was our choices - starters. Lymington Crab soup (£7.10) a very rich intense soup which I absolutely adored but my partner found too strong for her taste. Beef carpaccio (£9.99) - rated one of the best tasted in a long while. The other starters were Tiger prawns tempura (£9.95) chicken liver pate (£8.80) and Half a melon filled with raspberries - all declared very nice. For the mains there was .... Pork Saltimboca on a bed of rissotto with spinach (£17.90) - very nice, Lemon sole fillets meuniere (£23.00 - i think) , plentiful and very very nice with minted new potatoes and a small veggie selection. The lamb rump - asked for medium to rare - came as asked and was declared - excellent (£17.40). We also had liver and bacon and a whole seabass - sides come in at £3,80. Good range of desserts all at £7.10 - everybody said very good except me, I had the almond tart with cherries and marzipan creme - cherries were great but drowned the almond/marzipan. A couple of bottles of chablis at around £33.00 each and a few other drinks completed the meal.
We have visited before and not had a bad meal,all in all the service is very good but there always seems to me to be something lacking with the service. Seated nicely near the bar we had to actually go to the bar to order our drinks nobody came to us, one waitress passing plates round the table, clearing the table except for one plate - all minor things, but it seems the same as before. Pricey but well it, we will return.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Several of us had lunch on Saturday. Attentive service, fantastic starters and mains. Recommend the dover sole. Let down slightly by the cheese which seemed more than a little tired and beyond its sell by date!!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I have wanted to go to pebble beach for years and as it was a special friends 60th birthday I thought I'd go out of the way to come here. I'd heard such nice reviews of the years. I obviously wanted to experience this resturant for myself.
What to say I'll start at the beginning. We arrived at six and had booked a table for six thirty. Was given the option of sitting in the sunshine for a drink which was nice and an opportunity to go over the menu. Ordered drinks it took so long for the drinks to come back, at least 10 minutes, I thought we had been forgotten about. We sat having our drink, chatting enjoying the lovely view. No server came back to us, as it was now just after six i got up and went to look for someone, informing them my table was booked for sixthirty. I was given the option to sit inside or out. I didn't like the table we were given and as it was my friends birthday was trying really hard to have a pleasant evening and not complain. So we sat. We both had the king scallops which were Devine. I had sea bass, my friend the crab, again mouth watering food. We finished with lemon brûlée and pistachio ice cream with chocolate pud. My the lemon brûlée was exceptional. I rarely eat puddings this one was magnificent.

My only issue was the service was so slow and really not attentive. Needs to really improve.