“Never tasted the food!”

Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Romsey, England
“Never tasted the food!”
Reviewed 15 April 2009

Booked a table for two about three weeks ahead for special occasion. Offered table squeezed in at entrance to dining room next to grand piano, throughway for guests, waiters and gents loo, and right opposite the open plan hatch to naturally noisy kitchen. Refused table and asked for another. Although we could see at least one free table (for two), this was not offered.
Went to Chewton Glen instead - which I recommend unconditionally.

2 Thank T0urDirect0r

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Bournemouth
“Another excellent evening”
Reviewed 19 February 2009

Pebble Beach is one of those places that keeps drawing us back. We love the food, the location is pretty fab, the staff seem to float around unnoticed yet on hand when required and the ambiance perfectly complements all the above. Whilst my wife and I do venture to other local restaurants from time to time, our repeat visits are born from a desire to dine at a restaurant that continually delivers and Pebble Beach does this in spades. Apart from the 'fruits be mere', which always finds it's way to my table as a starter, I'm slowly working my way through the menu and recommend others do the same.

southampton
“A disappointing experience!”
Reviewed 7 September 2008

My wife and I visited Pebble Beach (Barton-on-Sea near Bournemouth) for a special occasion. We had high expectations as the restaurant is very highly rated having won a number of awards. Without going into specifics, we had a bad experience with the food and probably an even worse experience when we tried to compain firstly to the restaurant manager, and then the owner of the restaurant. Neither was in to good customer relations and left us both angry and disappointed with our visit.

A very negative and disappointing experience!

2 Thank MrPunch
Scotland
“Magnificent All Round Experience”
Reviewed 2 September 2008

The suburban approach to restaurant is not too promising. How wrong first impressions can be! This place is fabulous and certainly lives up to its rave reputation - far beyond that which the one rosette rating seems to indicate.

Excellent service starts the moment you step through the doorway. We'd tried a walk-in booking the night before, but couldn't get in as the place was fully booked - always a good sign, but not what we'd wanted to hear as we'd thrown in the towel at hotel in Lymington that had let us down. In the end we stayed the previous night at nearby Westover Hall (which incidentally was excellent) but fully booked this evening for a wedding reception and so they'd recommended us back to Pebble Beach (which by then we'd already booked). Hope I'm not losing you!

The restaurant has a clubby feel, usually associated with big hotels - including the musician playing on a grand piano in the bar area. Also quite novel is that the restaurant is "open" in that you can watch the chefs at work. Very interesting as it is clear that the organisation in the kitchen is extremely slick - everyone in their own area quietly and efficiently taking care of their own responsibilities without the need for any raised voices. This level of organisation is only normally found in much bigger kitchens (and even then usually accompanied by shouting and niggling).

The slickness worried me that the food might lack passion - in musical terms a competently refined Von Karajan rather than the intensity of Toscanini? My fears were allayed - my starter of scallop salad with avocado and pancetta was heavenly; although choosing between that and the taste I stole from my wife's Breton fish soup would've been impossible.

Throughout, the meal was altogether excellent, well balanced and lots of unobtrusive touches of real flare - not just the show-offy stuff (there was that too) but understated moments of delight.

We were considering skipping the dessert, but having seen the delivery to other tables we couldn't resist! I had the crème brulée, which was perfect and my wife had summer pudding (excellent but too much for her). Incidentally, the menu has wine recommendations for the desserts, a nice touch as many people have little experience in selecting sweet wines.

The obvious question I was asked is having had two excellent meals, one at Westover Hall and here at Pebble Beach, which did I prefer? Hmm... very, very hard! I'd say it depends upon the kind of ambiance one prefers as the food at both was amongst the best I've had on the South Coast. Whilst at first seeming more formal, Westover Hall was actually very friendly treating everyone as a regular returning guest/friend. Pebble Beach was much more upbeat, and dare I say trendy. Also, had the weather been better, the terrace would also have been a great bonus.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“If only the beautiful British coast had more places like this, we wouldn’t need to go abroad!!! Talk about a...”
Reviewed 4 August 2008

If only the beautiful British coast had more places like this, we wouldn’t need to go abroad!!! Talk about a perfect seaside setting with a view to die for!
This classy restaurant enjoys a stunning location overlooking the famous Needles on the Isle of Wight from Barton-n Sea, on the mainland.
It has a lovely panoramic outdoor terrace, even though we didn't sit there as the weather didn't allow it.
The service was professional and attentive, but more importantly the food was delicious and the restaurant certainly deserves it’s Rosette.
Definitely somewhere we’ll look forward going back to, and a must for those romantics who enjoy the good life by the sea.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook