“Perfect!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Pebble Beach
England, Arkansas
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

My boyfriend and I went here for my birthday and stayed in the loveliest room with a slight glimpse of the sea, the room was ideal, location perfect and the staff were so friendly!! We enjoyed a drink in the very modern bar and in the morning were spoilt by a free breakfast of plates and plates of food, sat by the window overlooking the sea.

IDEAL. Will for sure be returning as soon as possible!
Thank you so much!

Room Tip: We went for room 3 - was lovely! I think it is a little bigger than the others.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lou b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

I've eaten here a few times, and on previous occasion it has been exceptional food and service, which is why I have returned and encouraged others to book.
However the last two times there have been errors in our table bookings, despite email confirmations. It was a special occasion this time, but when we arrived we were told there was no reservation, it was next week. I explained that part of the party had driven a considerable distance to enjoy the meal....no solution was offered, and it made us all feel uncomfortable standing there with nothing happening. Whilst searching (pointlessly) through whatever system is used for ages and an increasing sense of annoyance from our party of 4 I simply asked directly if there was a table available for us regardless of if a booking was there or not, he checked and yes, but an hour later. It would have been easier to suggest this to us in the first place?
We returned and hour later, we hung around in reception waiting for the offer of our coats to be taken, eventually they got the hint, then threw them over the back of the counter! again not a warm welcome which is a shame when your looking forward to a nice meal.

Two of the party ordered the crab and prawn cakes, which as the other reviewers have commented were tiny little pink disks, they looked quite unappetizing! the portion was incredibly small, i tried them, one bite was one half of the cake, and they really lacked substance and were pretty rubbery in texture. My own starter was very good, delicious chicken liver parfait. mains were unspectacular, a roast is a roast and the chicken supreme was not at all as expected, and not supreme. Dessert cheesecake from the special menu was bland, not at all special.However my own dessert was lovely!
So perhaps we've left it too long, or hit an off day, but this time round not so impressed and if it was my first time, i would not hurry back. despite the wonderful view. Luckily the company was great! one more observation was that even though the decor has been changed from the 80'S salmon pink, the yellow wallpaper was hanging off in places and it did look a bit tatty!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

It may have been cold and wet, but the way we were greeted and the friendliness of the staff made it warm inside. Our room was lovely (sadly not the penthouse, that was out of our range-we only allowed £90 for accommodation) and we really enjoyed our stay.
From the dining room ( we had a table in the window, it would've been good to see the Island but boy did it rain) we had a delicious meal....good value too. We'll be back.

1 Thank 4519Mary
Surrey, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

I cannot comment on the restaurant side, which I see come recommended, my experience is in regards to the rooms. When searching for a place to stay in the area we typed in 5star hotel- Pebblebeach came up. The manager later admitted to us it is a 'restaurant with rooms' and that is how they get away with the high rating, however this was the start of the false advertising. From the photos the establishment is nothing like advertised; yes the sea views and terrace are very nice, but the building is a bit run down, it is not in a very nice area and the inside though was modern in the restaurant, the rest was dated and unclean (dirty tissues). After not feeling a nice atmosphere we were shown to our room, which on the website and a booking website shows a large modern room with spectacular views. DO NOT BE FOOLED!! This is the penthouse suite, which is not advertised as so, therefore the three standard room which are £100 less are very different and there are not advertised photos of these (for good reason). We were shocked to find, a very small, outdated/motel like room with views of the back of another building. The room was very basic, small and not the romantic destination we were seeking or that we had been made to believe we were getting. When I spoke to the manager to air my concerns I was immediately met with hostility and defence; claiming that there was no false advertising and that what we had seen was the penthouse and that is not what we had paid for. However if they are the only photos of room up and there is no specific label stating penthouse then of course that is what is to be expected. The manager wasn't having this, refused a refund, offered for us to pay the extra £100 to be upgraded, whilst insinuating that we were cheap and had only spent £70 therefore what did we expect (in turn calling his own rooms cheap). The £70 we had paid was supposedly reduced from £250 therefore imagining a high standard, again not only false advertising but it would have been exceptionally poor value for money if we had have paid the full price. The manager became very pushy and assertive, not understanding or solution focused. He was focused on whether not we were going to stay, following me around the car park and hotel, to the point where I had to lock myself in the car to get away from him. Upon speaking with the booking agent they stated they would grant a refund upon confirmation from the establishment. I returned inside to give back the key and request that they take the telephone call grant the refund so that we could leave. At which point the manager and three other staff, surrounded me claimed I was a liar and that they would not grant the refund. The manager came within close proximity to me and cornered me and shouted at me to leave and threatening the police. He was rude, intimidating and a very unpleasant person. He claimed to my partner I had used fowl language and been aggressive; this was not so; I had become emotional and maybe a little assertive but I was dumbfounded by the arrogant and unprofessional response I received upon my complaint. We left shaken and enraged. I have never been spoken to so rudely or aggressively just through stating concerns and that I was not happy to stay there. The manager later telephoned claiming I had not returned the Keys, when told I had put them down when I was thrown out and threatened, the manager claimed this had never happened and that I was politely told that we should find somewhere else. I have never experienced such terrible service. Whether or not the food or the rooms are nice, we did not consider upgrading purely due to the manager's attitude and the atmosphere from the staff and how we were treated. Our main issue was that the room was not what was advertised or what we had expected and was not value for money and somehow it became a very traumatic and unnecessary experience, all down to an unpleasant individual. Food might be nice....but do not stay here!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Theo2831
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

Hotel reception reminded me a bit of a Malmaison hotel, great view of the sea. We stayed in one of the 3 hotel rooms (there is also a penthouse) - rooms were a bit reminiscent of a corporate 90s hotel room but the bed was very comfortable. The restaurant was absolutely full and the food was quite imaginative however they use too much salt! Not the best hotel I've stayed in and not the best food I've had.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank RaymondsofWoking
New Forest, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

My partner and I had a lovely quiet romantic meal there. The views of the Isle of Wight were stunning, even in winter. The staff are pleasant and attentive but not overly so. The menu was great and the vegetarian choices were good. My only niggle was my veg was over cooked and a bit limp but it won't put us off going back. The open plan kitchen is a good idea - you can watch meals being cooked whilst enjoying a pre-dinner drink.
Recommended.

Lymington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

my husband and I enjoyed a lovely romantic meal here.
excellent wine choice, and food has always been consistently good on all our trips here.
the staff are all well trained and seem genuinely interested in your feedback.
the lay out is good and gives the chance for quite dining.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barton-on-Sea
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Rhinefield House Hotel
#7 of 11 in Brockenhurst
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,622 reviews
Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa

Been to Pebble Beach? Share your experiences!