Pebble Beach Rooms
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

We had dinner at Pebble Beach whilst on holiday in the New Forest and it was lovely. The staff were very friendly and accommodating of special requests food-wise and the quality of the food was really excellent - particularly the fish. Only minor criticisms were that the food took an hour to arrive and they played the same song on repeat for the entire duration (I think this was a genuine mistake though). Would highly recommend this lovely restaurant and we would certainly return if we come back.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Holzfrog

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I took my family to Pebble Beach to meet up with a work colleague and his family ... and I couldn't have chosen a better venue.

We met for dinner on a Saturday night ... often a recipe for disaster as many establishments struggle to cope with the busiest sitting of the week. But Pebble Beach have service down to a fine art.

Pre-dinner drinks were mixed and served perfectly, we were shown to our table at just the right time orders taken (perfectly) and without fuss, despite a couple of special requests and when the food came, it was superb. Obviously fish is the highlight (and, personal opinion, when visiting a fish restaurant I'd never order anything else - why come here and order steak??), very tasty and obviously totally fresh.

I had been warned to expect high prices so it was with some trepidation that I unfolded the bill ... but what a pleasant surprise. Not expensive at all ... I will certainly be going back and I can certainly recommend Pebble Beach to all!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Beenallovertheplace
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Having recently moved back to this area we have been visiting local restaurants and this one was high on the list. The service on arrival was good and our starters were very nice, but from then on things just did not live up to expectation. The steak was overlooked and dry, the seafood pancake just did not taste fresh and the sticky toffee pudding was very similar to the microwave one from Tesco that I had a couple of days earlier, but not quite as nice.
The restaurant was dominated by one table with noisy children and when they left it became clear that the kitchen was also intrusively noisy. Not staff, electrical drone.
There was nothing terrible at all here, but for the price, based on our experience, there are 8 to 10 better restaurants Within a couple of miles where the food and ambiance will be better.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alistair s
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Overall the evening was pleasant with O/K food and not O/K service certainly not a highly recommended restaurant.

Aperitifs, ordered at the table two Champagne, one Kir and a red wine.
Food ordered and wines “Red” and “White”
Whilst drinking our aperitifs the waitress attempted to have the white wine tasted whilst still drinking champagne, when asked to wait a little, she insisted on pouring the wine and demanded that the wine be smelt!! She was told “do not serve any more but put it in the ice bucket!
She then proceeded to open the red wine and repeated the process!
Whilst eating, too much white wine was poured in the glass and as a result it became too warm, which was not helped by the fact there was only ice, in the bucket.
Definitely wine training required of the staff
The food whilst pleasant in the main, the presentation and the accompaniments were not the best.
The gravadlax could not be seen, due to the profusion of “Mixed salad” from a packet.
This salad appeared on nearly every dish.

The scallops were very nice with a very pleasant sauce, the only down side was they did not remove the membrane mussel from any of the scallops, not nice!
The Parma ham with figs was pleasant but could have done with a little dressing!
The Mains were odd, all 3 different fish dishes came with broccoli, carrots and boiled potatoes (the latter which were overcooked to the extent of been water logged)
The Turbot was excellent with a wonderful sauce but was spoilt by the burnt mushrooms on top.
The filleted off the bone Sole was both over cooked and kept for too long on the hot plate.
It was served without any sauce so the dish was very dry.
The Sole meuniere was nicely done but as mentioned the accompanying vegetables added nothing to the meal.
The Lamb rump was ordered very pink but came just a fraction off “well done” it came with half a plate of the ubiquitous salad and a lot of mushrooms.
The accompanying vegetables was a plate of chips which resembled school fare.
These must have been “bought out” as no commis chef would make these.

The overall service was not to a standard of a good restaurant in that nearly every member of staff served us!
One took the order; the first course was served by another, the main by another, which of course meant that one was always asked “what did you order”
This extended to the silly situation whereby we were asked by 3 different members of staff, “Is your meal alright” in the space of less than 5 minutes whilst eating our main course!!
Not a total disaster but staff training on “front of house” and improvement on presentation of food, would improve things.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Peter O
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We were joining a birthday celebration dinner and as a family of seafood lovers we couldn't have picked better. We had preordered seafood platters as shared starters and they were excellent with top quality crab, prawns and oysters. Having devoured all of that we all had great main courses with all the fish being exceptional. A larger group is never easy but the staff were helpful and looked after us well. It's also nice to have a large round table for a larger group. The outside terrace area looked lovely and would be a perfect setting on a warmer evening. We are not local but would certainly go back next time we are in the area. We stayed just a few hundred yards away at the Watersedge Guesthouse which I would also recommend if you need accommodation within easy walking distance.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SharonAJ
Reviewed 24 September 2013

My friend and I booked a table around for 1.30pm. Arrived at the restaurant, greeted nicely at the door by two gentlemen.

To begin with my friend and I decided to have a drink on the terrace and have a look at the menu before we went inside the restaurant to eat. This was a perfect choice as it was a lovely day and although it took a while for our drinks to arrive it was worth the wait. I had a large glass of the New Zealand Savingon Blanc and my friend a large Chardonnay. The views were beautiful, and we were very comfortable in this relaxed atmosphere outside and all others seemed to be too. We both work in restaurants so it was nice to be on the other side.

Shortly our orders were taken. Bread was lovely, although short on choice, the waitress apologized.

I had duck to begin with, the chefs special for main followed by the Chocolate and hazelnut tart. All very very delicious. Fresh tastes, beautifully presented. We had our desserts and coffees on the terrace which great!

We had a great time, thank you very much.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This is a restaurant with rooms, of which only the penthouse has views of the Solent. I took my mother for a break to celebrate her ninetieth birthday expecting a sea view. Not only did we not have a sea view but we were not checked in properly, (a health and safety issue) and we were not informed that breakfast was not served until 10 in the morning. I had also requested when I booked an additional put you up in the room. I knew the rooms were double but wanted to make sure my mother had a good night's sleep. This did not happen (I borrowed a sleeping bag from my cousin and slept on the floor). On the second morning we chose to have a 9 o clock cooked breakfast at the very excellent Beachcomber Cafe next door. I will not be returning.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jane T
pebbebeachmanagement, Manager at Pebble Beach Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Referring to the allegations we refute categorically the criticism made.
Our tariff displayed on the website on which the booking was made is informative and clearly states serving times and amenities available. It is our firm policy and priority to endeavour to make a visit to our establishment a special , memorable and satisfying one and we pride ourselves at the excellence and quality of the food served and the level of customer service provided. With regard to the health and safety aspect we are particular in complying with the necessary requirements for example completion of the check-in forms which are filled in on arrival.
We would like to take this opportunity of extending a warm welcome to all new customers to come and sample for themselves our noted hospitality

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barton-on-Sea
1 mi away
South Lawn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milford on Sea
Eastclose Country House Hotel
Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa

Been to Pebble Beach Rooms? Share your experiences!