“Christmas Lunch as it should be....” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Cliff House Restaurant

The Cliff House Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Romantic, View, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Lymington, United Kingdom
“Christmas Lunch as it should be....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

Having just moved to the area myself and my family were in search of a nearby venue where we could enjoy a pre-Christmas dinner. I had heard rave reviews about the cliff house from new friends, but naturally wanted to check it out for myself. I had the 3 course pre Christmas lunch, with the most fantastic smoked chicken salad, I later found out from the friendly female host that this chicken is in fact sourced from the nearby noahs ark farm. Being Christmas, I couldn't resist the Turkey, which again hit the spot - fantastic roast potatoes and for once I really enjoyed the sprouts, which unlike a lot of places were not boiled to death. Being suitably full I skipped dessert but my wife had an attractive mandarin panna cotta which she described as "well balanced" and the perfect way to finish a meal. Service was friendly and with a smile, and the location suitably stunning. I will recommend and revisit.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Food disappointing and customer dissatisfaction seemingly ignored!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

My husband and I have eaten here before during the week and although quite pricey, the food was good. Perhaps there is a different chef on sundays. Having bought a property in the area we
decided not to cook but to eat out at the hotel. I chose the beef as it was a local product. When the meal arrived, the beef was red and, for me, inedible. The seasonal vegetables consisted of 8 pieces of parsnip, which I hate, and two pieces of carrot plus three small florets of broccoli on cheese sauce. It would have been nice to have been told that the meat would be cooked rare, or told what seasonal vegetables consisted of. I didn't like to make a fuss in a full restaurant so just ate the carrot, potatoes and Yorkshire pudding (soggy and tough to cut). I had almost finished when the waitress came and asked if everything was ok. We said "no" and she said she would have the meat re-cooked but by this time I was feeling unwell just looking at the red meat in front of me so I declined. No apology was offered. I felt so sick that I couldn't face a dessert and as the price included two courses, my husband ordered two desserts and ate both of them rather than waste money. I couldn't wait to leave. My husband mentioned this to the gentleman taking our payment and his attitude was very indifferent. We were charged the full amount with no apology or even semblance of concern that I had had an unpalatable meal. It was this indifference and "couldn't care less" attitude that upset me more than the poor food. My husband and I used to work on the service industry and would bend over backwards to make sure our clients were completely satisfied. Needless to say, we won't be going again. The stunning views are not worth THAT much money. You can see them from the cliff top for free. So disappointed , especially as we would have been regular locals.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
marinedrivewest, Owner at The Cliff House Restaurant, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Cliff House . We welcome all feedback both positive and negative .

I make no apology for serving medium- rare beef , the majority of our customers prefer it cooked what we consider correctly . The parsnips were actually white carrots grown in Sopley unusual maybe but definately not parsnips.

Whilist I accept we may have missed an opportunity to turn a problem into a success , it is in everyones interest that the customer engages with us and shares their prererences . The alternative would be to present a virtual essay to explain every component and variation of each dish .

For example we have many customers who are gluten intolerant or have other allergies , they tell us, we offer a solution its really very easy.

We would welcome the oppoirtunity to prove that The Cliff House can meet your expectations.Should you be inclined please call or email and I can assure you of my personal attention and best efforts to encourage you to try The Cliff House again .

Yours sincerely

Donald Darbishire
Owner
Milford on Sea, United Kingdom
“Lovely venue for lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Visited here for lunch on a sunny Thursday in October. We just wanted a bar snack and were welcomed into the lounge area where we could take the dog, who was fussed over. Although we did not go into the restaurant it was busy with regulars.
We spent some time chatting with the owners who were very friendly and made us feel very welcome.
The club sandwich and fish goujons were excellent value served with a very good Pinot Grigio.
We could see why this venue was popular and will definitely return.

• Visited October 2013
London
“Lovely dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

We came here for dinner on the final night of our holiday in the New Forest and it really was the loveliest evening we had. Initial greeting was perhaps a little frosty but good and restaurant service was top notch and definitely worth the money. Would definitely come back if visiting again.

Poynton, England, United Kingdom
“Rip off Britain”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

My wife an me called in here to have a drink after a long walk in the sunshine

After a quick walk to the local shops, my wife returned for her favourite tipple Tia Maria and Coke. I was charged £7.20 for a single drink, the service was mediocre and we were not made to feel welcome at all

We stayed at a local guest house which could not have been better but did not return to this place and would not recommend it

We did venture to a top class restaurant nearby and spent a lot of money on fantastic meal and wine, the difference was value for money

• Visited August 2013