“Best bed in Greece”

Oliaros seaside lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Agios Georgios
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed for five nights and had a better room than we had booked we got one of the duplex rooms with a sea view. The bed was the best we have slept on in Greece but a little short if your over 5' 9" . Nice size balcony good bathroom and ok kitchen area. We knew once we had been picked up we needed transport as there are no buses or taxis in June but that was no problem as the owner contacted a car hire place and he took us to get it, it was left in a street with the key in the ignition at 10pm and go back and fill in the paperwork the next day. We had a Fiat Panda and were well impressed where we got that little car to go as once off the tarmac the roads become pot holed tracks. Once mobile there are plenty of quiet beaches to visit but the boat trip across to Despotiko is a little pricey from outside the tavernas in the resort.

Room Tip: Go for one with a sea view and watch the sunset with beer in hand.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chris5051

Reviewed 10 May 2013

A special place of honesty and beauty

I am writing this review as a very satisfied customer. I have been there twice and because of the special and beautiful location, it is my wish to inform interested people about this special destination.

The „Oliaros“ Seaside Lodge is situated round about 10 kilometres (6.7 miles) from Antiparos town. It is a beautiful complex, build in the typical “Cycladic style” – that is the postcard-picturesque whitewashed-cubic building, with bluish tinted doors and windows.

When you arrive at Oliaros, you notice the cleanliness of this place. You don´t find litter on the ground around the property or dirty walls. The good impression continues in the internal spaces. Everything is clean, hygienic and you almost have the impression the building was build yesterday.

There is also a house cleaning service, every day around late morning, usually when you already left the complex to go for swimming for example. When you return later, everything is clean and tidy, and if you used the provided cutlery and glasses, they will be cleansed and ready for you.

What I like is the interior design. It is a well-balanced mixture of traditional furniture and a modern/stylish appearance. The bathroom for instance is not coated with cheap white tiles, but completely filled with a special grey-coloured finery, that transports the moisture to the outside. This prevents mildew and the sink and water closet are stylish and very clean as well.

Oliaros Studios is neither a hotel chain nor a giant hotel complex. In fact, it is a family enterprise and the lodges are situated on a fairly large property, roughly 60 meters (196 ft) from the coastline.

You find the reception in a bungalow in the front part of the property. If you need help, for example to get some directions, you can ask a person in the reception. Usually you will get your help by the owner himself.

This is one fact that makes this place special. Because it is a family run business, you will always find a competent person to help you with a problem or to give you a tip. Persons avoiding their responsibility is not something you will find at Oliaros.

I have to point out that you really need a car, moped or a quad to explore the island of Antiparos. As I said above, you will be located some distance from Antiparos town. When you arrive at Antiparos town with the ferry from Paros, you will find a car rental opposite to the port. I would like to recommend to you “AGGELOS-rent a car” which is also a family run business. Aggelos and his wife are a very friendly couple, offering cars, quads, mopeds etc. The prices are good and the technical condition of the vehicles is good as well.

A little story here: When I visited Antiparos for the first time, I went straight to Aggelos. I wanted to rent a quad bike (all-terrain-vehicle). Aggelos hesitated to rent a quad bike to me because he did not know my driving skills and he was concerned about my safety (careless people can cause accidents with quad bikes, especially in rural areas). This is why he tried to advise me to rent a car, because of the higher safety features compared to a quad bike.

I insisted to rend the quad. I had some driving experience with a quad before, but Aggelos explained to me how to use the vehicle nonetheless. Finally, when he let me drive away, he said to me in Greek “Sto kalo” which means: “Have a good way” and I could see his expression in the driving mirror that was still a little bit worried. As you noticed I am here, writing these lines and nothing happened to worry about. However, this honesty and sense of responsibility impressed me from a car rental.

The Island of Antiparos offers you many beautiful beaches. You will find larger and smaller ones. A lot of them have beautiful blue and greenish water and sandy beaches. The island is not very crowded and less known to tourists. You will not find overcrowded beaches for example like on the island of Mykonos. Even the opposing island of Paros is much more crowded.

This partly remoteness is essential to Antiparos’ unspoiled character. Perhaps this is one reason, why the actor Tom Hanks resides in summer on the island of Antiparos. You can relax and enjoy the authentic island far away from trouble and the dullness of daily city life.

A very interesting place is the cave of Antiparos, which is impressive because of its cathedral-high stalagmites and stalactites. The cave is very deep and can be visited in safety by a modern walkway-system. The cave is refreshing in summer because it can become a little bit cold inside.

A very nice place to shop or to hang out is Antiparos town. Although it is not a city, the town has its own mall-alley. There you will find a drugstore, a post office, shops, supermarkets, some nice boutiques, bars, coffee bars and even the best ice cream far and wide – at “Vickys”. You will also find some nice taverns where you can eat typical and good Greek cuisine. Antiparos town is especially nice in the evening when all’s lit and atmospheric. Don´t be surprised if you step into a group of people well dressed – it might be a marriage.

During your stay at Oliaros Seaside Lodge, you will get a very nice and rich breakfast, for instance with homemade marmalade. I ate the best handmade orange marmalade at Oliaros (Don´t worry there are more flavours too). The homemade cake is tasty as well and the coffee comes fresh, in a French press on your table. Take a look at my uploaded pictures, you will find a partial shot of the breakfast there.

Please take in mind that Oliaros does not provide dinner or supper! You have to be self-sustained and this is not a problem but more an advantage. If you want to eat later in the day, for example there are nice taverns at the beach. You can walk there or use your vehicle to get there. There you will find taverns offering fresh fish or other Greek delicacies. As I said above you can also go out in Antiparos town to have dinner or refreshments.

I want to advice you deeply to stock yourself up with food at the local supermarkets in Antiparos town. There you can buy vegetables, fresh fruit, cheese, bread, olives and much more. You will find a refrigerator provided in your room at Oliaros, so you can store heat sensitive food without a concern. With your own food in your lodge, you can always satisfy bigger and smaller appetites.

In spite of Antiparos’ remote location you can get everything you need at the supermarkets, for example from razor blades to tinned food, lighters, batteries and so on.

To point out another landmark, let us talk about a remote island. Did you know that Greece is accompanied by approximately 6000 islands? Only 200 of them are inhabited. One of those remote islands is just 1.5 kilometres (1 Mile) away: Directly in front of you, visible from the Oliaros Seaside Lodge, rises the island of Despotiko, the ancient island of Presepinthos from the seawater.

You can rent a sea kayak at Oliaros for no charge to cross the narrow sea in about 20 minutes until you reach the coast of Despotiko. There you will find two exceptionally beautiful places.

One is a long beach with finely granulated sand and blue crystal-clear water. At that spot you will be, you guessed it, either completely alone or you have to share it with just a few people.

Moreover, if this was not enough, you can find an ancient sanctuary of Apollo that is being under excavation since 1997. It is therefore a very young archaeological find. The site is worth seeing and you can visit the excavation site completely undisturbed. Archaeologists excavated only a tiny amount, although it looks huge, and they compare the importance of the site to the ruins of Delphi in mainland Greece. The ancient Greeks choose their building sites under astrological consideration. You see they knew about the distinctiveness of this place even then.

Despotiko is remarkable, beautiful and calm. The island has already been declared a protected landscape under European “Natura 2000” declaration.

Oh and did I mention that you can do Yoga (Hatha-Ashtanga Vinyasa) at Oliaros as well? No matter if you are a beginner or you want to practice with other people, Oliaros offers you exceptional Yoga experiences.

I am closing my review now that I could not restrict to just two sentences. My intention was to write an honest assessment of this place. I would like to write so much more about what you can experience, but I leave it to you to explore the location and become amazed yourself.

-Agesilaos

PS: I want to address the very few ominous negative ratings that you can find here on TripAdvisor:

An anonymous person wrote he had to bring his own breakfast because it was so deficient. I can assure you this is not true and this entry represents a bad trolling attempt.

There are some people complaining about Oliaros not having a pool. Please consider that the sea is just a few steps away. It would be idiotic to maintain an artificial pool to bath in chlorinated water, when you have the crystal-clear sea in front of you.

All further positive reviews speak for themselves.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
16  Thank Agesilaos A
Reviewed 30 August 2012

not only I found antiparos a piece of paradise on earth, i was lucky enough to stay at oliaros where a bearded angel by the name of vassilis took us under his wing and took such good care of us we did not want to leave anymore! oliaros is a small nice elegant little hotel by the sea. rooms are comfortable and simple though elegant in their own greek-modern style, the place is super clean and guests are all at the same level as the hotel. i will go back there as soon as i will be able to.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank aledonghi
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Had a wonderful stay at Oliaros last August. Was traveling solo and the family that runs Oliaros was so warm and hospitable. The rooms are tastefully decorated, spacious and clean. My room had a lovely view of the beach. Once I found Oliaros (it took me a bit to actually find it once I was in Antiparos) I found the location to be preferable--away from the main town, but close enough by car (which is needed/recommended)--the beaches on this side of the island are just gorgeous, as is the view of Despotiko Island. The rooms are outfitted with little kitchenettes, which makes it quite easy to prepare breakfast and snacks throughout the day. It is quiet and peaceful and the little courtyard dining area downstairs is lovely. I loved the fishing village vibe here--and there are a several good restaurants for seafood down the road, with views of the water. It is a somewhat remote location and the service is laid back--if you are not expecting full on hotel service and are self sufficient, this is an ideal spot. The mother was so lovely, and gave me terrific recommendations for exploring the island and inside tips on great restaurants and spots to enjoy food and drink...I ended up having a great time in Antiparos!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank yniko
Reviewed 13 December 2011

we spent 6 days ay Oliaros with my wife and we really enjoyed it. The room is superbly designed with minimal and classical aesthetric with a great sea view balcony where we enjoyed beautiful sunsets. We had our continental breakfast in our terrace, with homemade marmelades and squeezed orange juices and coffee. The staff was really helpful and were available whenever we needed something.
A big plus is the walking distance to the sandy beach which was no more than 50 meters from our room, the free beach umbreallas and chairs.
Our host Vasilis, helped us going around with sea canoes to the sea caves and we also rented cycles and cycled in beaches around the island.
The night before departing, we all had a dinner at Captain Pipinos.
We definitely want to be back...looking forward to our next summer holiday

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Agpapa
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Although it could be a nice studio, the value for money was very poor, without any sense of service. After 13:00 it was impossible to find anyone in reception to help you.

There was no other services i.e. if you wanted a bottle of water at 20:00 you had to take your car (if you had one) and go to the nearest town or at other hotels to get one!

While on telephone they reassure as that they have WiFi, when we ask for pass the reply was that they do not have ADSL and the internet is not working properly... They never gave us the password.

The breakfast was the poorest I ever had. Some customers were bringing their own food for example yogurt.

Last there were many flying bugs in the room. Good luck to you all and stay away.

Room Tip: Get another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank WeekN
Oliaros, General Manager at Oliaros seaside lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear unsatisfied customer,

It is difficult to take into consideration this review since we do not have your name in order to check if you have actually stayed in our lodge or it is just a review written by somebody who just wants to harm our businesse's reputation.
None of the things written in this review do exist since we are a small family business taking into consideration every small detail that will make a customer happy. In our lodge is always somebody at hand whenever you need something and we do serve a breakfast with home made marmelades, fresh juices, local cheeses etc. If you take a look to all the other reviews no one has written something negative about OLIAROS, so this is a pure harmful attack

Reviewed 31 July 2011

Lovely well maintained hotel. If you are looking to get away from it all this is the place. Very pleasant laid back staff, very clean rooms and the most amazing vistas. You'll need a car - Antiparos town in about 15mins drive away.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Afrodite Boutique Hotel
Artemis Hotel
Artemis Hotel
#2 of 6 in Antiparos

Been to Oliaros seaside lodge? Share your experiences!