“Friendly and over-the-top helpful to our commerical kayak group.”

Shearwater Resort & Marina
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Denny Island
Shearwater Resort & Marina
Victoria, Canada
“Friendly and over-the-top helpful to our commerical kayak group.”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed in Shearwater at the start and end of a commercial kayak trip and found the entire community to be friend and helpful. Deedee at the lodge took great care of us. The three of us that had booked into the campground changed our minds and she found us a room for both the night coming and the night going. (I strongly recommend AGAINST the campground - it's a gravel parking lot up the hill from the marina and hotel, good only for parking RV's.) The rooms are fishing lodge style - small, and in the older building they have shared bathrooms. But there is no need to spend time there! Enjoy the restuarant or Rosie's or sit in the lounge inthe newer lodge building and chat to all the friendly people around! Deedee also made room for our gear and found a place for us to hang out after we check out and while we waited for the ferry. The restuarant accomodated our group of ten for meals no problem, even when we didn't all arrive at the same time. The food was fresh and there was plenty of choices. The prices reflect the fact that most things have to come in by boat. The grocery store is nothing to write home about, but it has the basics.

Room Tip: There are a variety of rooms. The newer building has a nice lounge for guests only.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank kayakerjo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 20 July 2013

My husband and I had the very good fortune to spend 5 nights at the Shearwater Marina a couple of weeks ago due to problems with one of the motors on our boat. What a lovely spot to be stuck in, however, as the weather was hot and sunny for all of the five days we were there. Because we had to fly parts for our motor in from Vancouver over a week-end, we were there when they had a very enjoyable ceremony and salmon barbecue to dedicate a memorial to the RCAF pilots who had been stationed there during WW2, plus we witnessed the unveiling of a locally-carved native carving and a truly fabulous mural which portrayed the first settlers to the area and some of the influential natives from the nearby village of Bella Bella. We ate in the Fisherman's Grill every evening and thoroughly enjoyed the large and diverse menu. The halibut and chips and the salmon were especially good and on two of the evenings we ate our dinner whilst listening to a wonderful Brass quintet from Kelowna play some great music. The service in the restaurant was excellent but a special mention goes to Caitlin who was truly outstanding. We would also like to thank Jean in the Marine Shop who went over and above to help us out by ordering not once, nor twice, but three times, the necessary motor parts to be flown in from Vancouver. A tip of the hat must go to Kristoff, the marina manager who juggles a difficult job with great ease and aplomb and is always around to lend a helping hand. Finally, a special mention must go to the Lorne, the awesome Shearwater mechanic, without whose help and expertise we would have been in real trouble. Thank you Lorne, Jean, Kristoff, Caitlin and all the great people we met at Shearwater Resort and Marina. We definitely plan to return there on our next boat trip through the Inside Passage.

Room Tip: We stayed on our boat so I have no idea what the hotel rooms are like.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Doochie41
canada
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I ate there about a month ago and my husband and I had a fantastic bowl of curried lamb soup and it was excellent!

Today I had a seafood melt which had a very generous portion of crab and shrimp. It was tasty but I'd it was served with a nice side salad I stead of a huge portion of fries, it would have been quite decadent. My dad had delicious oyster burger but again it came with a huge portion of fries. My husband has a delicious linguine dish that he said was great. Presentation is everything, but also balancing the meal is as important. I would suggest toning down the fries and being conscious of the huge carb portions. Most of it went to waste...

I will return but will definitely switch the fries for some greens...

I did not stay at the hotel so cannot comment on it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 14 June 2013

The room is tiny, dirty, TV barely worked, you have to share a bathroom. Overpriced but I guess they figure they are the only game in town (which they are not). The inn keepers were extremely odd and rude. Did I tell you how dirty this place was? It looked like the comforters hadn't been washed and they smelled horrible. I was hoping the food at the restaurant was better. It was overpriced and not very good.

Room Tip: There are many bed and breakfasts and house rentals. I would never recommend this place.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Blackfish Lodge
#46 of 274 in Vancouver Island
Crazy Creek Resort
#1 of 1 in Malakwa

Been to Shearwater Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!