“Sunday lunch”

The Market Place Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 10 Restaurants in Cromford
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Family run restaurant, over 30 years in business, good food,well priced, awarded 5 stars again by environmental health
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My family & I ate at this restaurant on 7/7/14 as the other chap, I must say I totally disagree in what he is saying, we also had the £13.95 THREE COURSE meal including wine and from start to finish everything was great, staff, hot good food, service everything. All I will say is we will be back soon & spreading the word. Here's to many more years

3  Thank 940Emma_c

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

In this review I refer to the tapas bar , the entrance to which is found by the market place restaurant itself.

More of a bistro than a bar/restaurant this Spanish themed eatery does exactly what it says on the tin - provides tapas and sangria.

The prices are reasonable (just) and the food is a good replica of the real thing (having lived in Spain for some time). Some of the dishes however I did wonder about the spiced sausage, which would normally be chorizo based, but unfortunately wasn't.

The food is of course small in portions but the place offers 6 tapas for around £16. I have to say though that they were more tapitas than tapas, which means that you get a very small portion.

The service is a little slow, and the order did get a little messed up, with us having to wait about 20 mins extra between eating for two of the dishes.

Deserts are offers "tapas style" - simply meaning in small portions, but this wasn't reflected in the price. This part we found dissapointing.

All in all, a nice little find, but over order if you are hungry.

Ps... The parking situation in Cromford is horrific, so arrive early in order to secure a spot.

3  Thank Stefan R
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My wife and I used the market place some years ago when you went for Sunday lunch it was packed and a queue of people waiting to get a table, well how things change and not for the better we had Sunday lunch on the 7/07/2014 and what a disappointment the meal was £13.95pp we are two who like value for money and that was not how it used to be. The portions on each course have been reduced by we would say more than 50% and the price up by 60% the Yorkshire puds were burnt the new pots were hard the beef had been braised not roast and the veg for two served on a small dish and the place was virtually empty we can understand people staying away we will Good Bye Market Place, Cromford

4  Thank Karl W
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Went to this restaurant last night for the first time and wow what an experience. From start to finish it was great, well looked after throughout with the staff care and food knowledge both top notch. Starter of Pate and Cromford smoker were enjoyed and the mains of Red Snapper and Halibut were accompanied by new potatoes, veg and salad were both very very good, highly recommend this place and will definitely return in the future.

1  Thank Scottdog15
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Always great fish quality

Of particular interest is that they have now started offering gluten free f&c every Monday

This is very welcome and demonstrates their commitment to meeting customer needs
Well done