“Geraldine M”

Blackaddie Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sanquhar
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The hotel was spotlessly clean although sparse in furnishings and we had a superior room, so not sure what the other rooms were like. The bed was kingsize and very comfortable. The bathroom was superb with a spa bath as well as a walk-in shower.

The kettle cable was too short to reach the sockets so had to move the dressing stool over to the sockets and place the tray on that before the cable reached the sockets.the TV channels were very limited, especially the news channels.

It was fine dining but the menu was limited and very cordon bleu not cheap at £52.00 per person certainly not value for money. There was supposed to be another menu, but it is not always available and wasnt much better. No vegetarian options. Drinks were expensive. We ended up going into Sanquar to eat at the Nithsdale Hotel, which was excellent and very reasonable.

Breakfast was superb, bone china crockery including the teapot and an excellent selection of food.

Gardens were not as big as led to believe.

Very friendly staff

Room Tip: Ask for room with four poster or at least a superior room. Dont book for the fine dining.
1  Thank Geraldine M

Reviewed 24 August 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a three night stay at the Blackaddie Hotel. We booked the hotel as we liked the look of it on the website and we had not visited the Dumfries area before and we were more than pleasantly surprised on our arrival. On turning into the driveway to the entrance of the hotel we both commented on how tidy the grounds were. We checked in and were met by Jane who showed us to room. The room was very spacious and exceptionally clean, We benefited from a whirlpool bath and monsoon shower which were gratefully received. We booked in for dinner and had a choice of fine dining or the daily menu (which is changed daily). We decided to have a drink before dinner in the bar area. This again was exceptionally clean and cosy. The food from the daily menu was amazing, We both did not know what to expect from a top chef and "wow" it was the best meals we have ever had. Our only regret is not trying the fine dining menu (which we will certainly have on our next visit). The breakfast was tremendous too. Everything is professional but has excellent personal touches. In summary I would like to recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a homely, friendly hotel but with something extra. Perfect, thank you for making our stay a most enjoyable one.

Room Tip: Ptarmigan was a lovely spacious room on the first floor
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Not convinced by this place or its staff. I found myself at Blackaddie last month (July) as I had a business trip to Douglas so liked the look of its website but I regret it. I was on my own but my room was ridden with dust, shower was dirty and the furniture cheap. The female owner said the room was to be refurbished but that reverberated as a lame excuse for poor standard. My colleague joined us for dinner and though the restaurant proclaims it’s “fine dining” it was miles away from anything near fine dining. If this place seriously thinks it can rival places like Knockinaam Lodge, Kinloch Lodge or the Three Chimneys, the owners really need to think again. The food was ok but was unremarkable. The out-of-his-depth waiter couldn't respond in detail to wine choices or what was on the plate and made no attempt to find out either. It seems the chef waxes lyrical about his previous appointments in Michelin-starred restaurants. I can only say no inspector will be calling at this run down and frankly amateur affair.

Room Tip: Avoid older rooms if you can
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
11  Thank Craig C
chefmcandrew, Owner at Blackaddie Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2013

Sir,
Normally and despite the anonymity this medium allows its contributors it is possible to work out quite easily who it is that has written the review and therefore respond to it in an informed way. On this occasion despite my best efforts I have been totally unable to do so. I can not work out who you are and therefore can not give an honest and accurate response to your scathing review. If you would reveal yourself to me then I will happily respond. It is of course unfortunate from our perspective that it is not possible to respond more positively at this time as this review is so scathing. Thankfully most people will read a good cross section of our reviews and make up their own mind based on the high majority of extremely positive remarks we receive. I do however wonder though if you actually dined from our TDH menu which offers very simple fare rather than our more elaborate and technically better Fine Dining menu, if this is the case it is therefore unfair to compare us with the Michelin Starred establishments as you did. For the record I am the Chef & Joint owner with my wife, I have held a Michelin Star in 2 other establishments one of which we owned, we do not currently have a Michelin Star nor do I claim to have one.
It is true that we still have a couple of rooms that require refurbishment along with a single room that is to be incorporated into the room next door to it as a bathroom, the plans (as you would have seen) have been drawn up and we will, when funds allow, complete this work.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

We booked into the Blackaddie Hotel for a short, midweek break. We were celebrating my wife's birthday. The room we had was large and airy, a wonderfull bathroom with a massive shower and a Jaccuzi bath. The room was very nice but the food was brilliant!. Ian took time to vary the menu so there was no repetition in the four days we were there. We booked the Gourmet menu one evening. The best food experience I have ever had!. I have eaten in Michelin star restaurants but this was far better, such imagination and talent used to produce a wonderful menu. The breakfasts followed the same lines, interesting food well cooked and presented, set you up for the day. We are planning our return already.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Decided to write this off the back of a trip to Sanquhar on 10th August. My wife and I occasionally visit the area and this was our first time at Blackaddie. A lovely old house, finely decorated and appearing to be of good upkeep. I had read some reviews before visiting and had mistakingly went along thinking it was a michelin star restaurant (sorry for not doing my homework!). Our reception into the restaurant was pleasant enough. I have to agree with one of the other visitors who was there the same evening as myself; the drinks service was definitely slow and the young waiter appeared to have NO knowledge of the wine list (which had some rather expensive entries!). I would also agree that I expected more information about our food selection and the mash was rather strange; maybe because I have not tried it like that before? (nor would I wish to try it again!!!). The courses we had were okay, but not knockout for what we paid. Value for money wise I would recommend The Oasis Restaurant as we have visited on a number of occasions and have never felt "cheated" when the bill hits the table...

3  Thank Red-Volvo1993
chefmcandrew, Owner at Blackaddie Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

It seems we at least get people to write about us, both good and bad. Personally speaking as the chef I believe black pudding mash is lovely as do a lot of people and it goes very well indeed with the beef and beetroot it was paired with that fateful night. I do of course concede that black pudding is not to everyone's taste but to compare what we do to the Oasis restaurant in the local pub is taking things a bit too far really, sorry Oasis but! However I'm sure you will enjoy your next meal there.
No we do not have a Michelin Star nor do we claim to have one, I did however hold a star in 2 previous establishments many years ago.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

This review is off the back of our third visit to Blackaddie Country House Hotel and it won't be the last, we are hooked on Ian's excellence in producing fantastic mouth watering food. I don't think you will ever get the same dish twice with his fine dining menu changing daily. The previous review is rather harsh and just a fine example of he some people are never happy. We dined on the same evening Saturday past by the sounds of the review and would like to give our experience on the exact same night. There was a new girl waitressing and was being shown the ropes that night but did a fantastic job considering how nervous a trainee can feel when in a fine dining environment, she did a sterling job considering the amount of skills she will need to pick up. Michael the main waiter has a growing knowledge of wines and was able to recommend one exactly suited to our palate with both me and my husband preferring those fuller bodied reds, considering the wine list only changed at the tail end of the year he can't know and have tasted them all. Saturday evening was a particularly busy one too with only one free table and a few of the sittings arriving rather close together which may have impacted service ever so slightly but we were never without a drink nor did our glass ever run dry. As for the black pudding mash I'm sorry but fine dining is all about subtle flavours and Ian did it beautifully, in order to get a more depth of colour would have meant more black pudding making the mash overpowering, simply knowing what had been served to you allows you to accept the colour of the mash and get on woth it. You are also provided with a very descriptive account of the dishes available to you on the menu so it shouldn't need explained in depth to you at the table. I do get rather put out by people searching or negatives rather than telling people about those positives that clearly outweigh small niggles at the Blackaddie. My only criticism on Saturday is that I couldn't get a huge bowl or the lobster bisque, it was the best I have ever tasted and I am still salivating over it. Will be visiting again very very soon. Smiths (Gourmet Diners)

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Booked DB&B by email last minute on Friday for our wedding anniversary on Saturday, then upgraded to the Gourmet menu. We'd no idea what would be on the menu, so it was a real delight to find each course - from canapes to coffee - intriguing and enjoyable for both of us. Quite an achievement since it was 4 years previously we'd dined at Blackaddie and Ian would have no idea of our preferences!

After a friendly welcome by Mick on reception, we were taken to our good-sized room - Partridge - which has been tastefully refurbished and now boasts a spa-bath and separate walk-in power shower, as well a very comfortable leather settee.

Went a little early down to the bright lounge looking out to the Nith, and both Ian & Jane popped in to say hello before the meal.

We left after an excellent traditional Scottish breakfast having thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Back soon!

Room Tip: Partridge is a lovely room
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanquhar
Trigony House Hotel and Garden Spa
Days Inn Lockerbie Annandale Water
Lochside House Hotel & Spa
Lochside House Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in New Cumnock

Been to Blackaddie Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!