““Its so bad its funny..'” 1 of 5 bubbles

Blackaddie Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sanquhar
GreenLeadersBronze level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
““Its so bad its funny..'”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

“Its so bad its funny..'

I will start with the only positives - A Friday afternoon off work on a beautiful July day, my boyfriend 40th, scenic drive to Blackaddie hotel and we had a TV with BBC. But its downhill from there...

As you enter the hotel, you are greeted by decor that is almost medival - and a strange woman and a man in chef whites.

Next, you go up a flight of stairs - the walls are adorned with lop sided pictures, the stairs are carpeted red - but at least the carpet is almost clean.... the same story continues in the room; there hasn't even been an attempt to clean it. The window was jammed shut even though it was a beautiful day outside, The room was small, shabby and stuffy, the TV was placed on top of a wardrobe? The surfaces are coated in dust; the en suite shower area was small, a plastic shower cubicle as well as a whole host of stains that I will not describe in detail in fear of putting you off your dinner. I couldnt wait to get out of the room.

After 20 minutes of enduring this room I asked reception if we can change room, we were shown to a clean fresher room...

Waited another 15mins, I went to the reception to inform them that we would like to take it and we were met with the worst behaviour I have ever witnessed in public hospitality.

The woman who was at reception tried to tore my bag away from my hands and screeched....give it to me'!! This was displayed when I said I would carry my own bag in the process of changing our room.

She LITERALLY—and I mean literally—grabbed my bag, she physically began nudging us with her body toward the front door and said, ‘Give it to me'. My boyfriend said....'oh dear, we better part ways.' The woman screamed back, 'Yes, I think that's best.' We were literally stumbling backwards trying to get out as quickly as she wanted us to. It was almost comical, but not quite.

The man in chef whites refused to return my money with immediate effect and said that that was not their policy. He also insultingly added that I had booked a 'cheap room' and Secret Escapes had my money.

"apparently having booked a special deal with Secret Escapes costing £144.00 and having a Louis Vuitton handbag isn't good enough for this officious and petty hotel."

Just like to add, I personally did not think £144.00 was 'cheap'!

In the end 14 days later,my refund was returned by Secret Escapes, Secret Escapes offered an abundance of generic apologies and a £20 pound voucher in my Secret Escape pot if I choose to use them again....no apology from Blackaddie Country House Hotel.

I felt sick every minute I spent on this hotel. I could never imagined to find such a trash place run by such undignified people.

Truly awful in every sense.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank Patsy L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Our friends from Dumfries fell about laughing when we told them that we would be staying in nearby Sanquhar for the night, but they obviously had not been to Blackaddie. It is true we had second thoughts as we drove past the industrial estate, but what a revelation when we arrived.

The house is being redecorated in stages, so there are areas which are still rather 70s, but our spacious bedroom had been very tastefully done. Shame about the lightweight bathroom door and inexpert tiling behind the sink pipes.

All was forgiven however, when we tasted the food at dinner, which was absolutely scrumptious. I forget what it was exactly as it's been seven weeks but I do remember perfectly cooked cod. At breakfast I had the best poached egg (on smoked haddock) I have ever tasted in my life. Whisky lovers will not be disappointed by the selection available behind the bar.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Nyonya
Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

My partner and I have just returned from our first (but not last !) stay at the Blackaddie.We (and our dog) received a warm welcome, our room was clean and well appointed and had an en-suite bathroom fitted with both a large spa bath and a large walk-in shower.The public rooms were comfortable and relaxing if a little dated in decor.
The outstanding feature of our short stay was the superb evening meal,my choice of courses making it the finest dinner I have ever eaten in many years of fine dining.Words cannot do justice to this gastronomic experience and I can only encourage others who love good food to visit this place and sample Ian's many culinary talents.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank barry23
Corby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

My fourth stay at this lovely, family owned country hotel. The food was superb and complemented by Jane's excellent, friendly service. Ian's cooking is brilliant and excellent value-Michelin star chef without London prices. The room was comfortable and well furnished with superb views up the river.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Limerick, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

From the start I wish to point out that we did not have dinner at Blackaddie. There were 2 reasons for this, we were the only guests staying there the 1st night and Jane appreciated the fact that we chose to eat out. Secondly we found the cost of the meals prohibitive and expensive. While our room was upgraded and was spacious, soft furnishings such as cushions and pictures would not go astray in making the decor more homely. Breakfast was disappointing with the area itself dated and in serious need of an overhaul. When paying rates like this it is not enough to serve mini packaged cereals out of the drawer of a dresser and serve food using dated delph and table ware. It is we felt inappropiate to leave a sheet outlining their son's fundraising trip to Africa outlining how guests could contribute to this in each bedroom. This would be better kept at reception for viewing by guests. In short a lot of work done by the couple but a lot more to be done.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Aberdeen, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

We spent a very enjoyable and comfortable week in one of Blackaddie's cottages on the banks of the Nith with our three dogs. However it was the two dinners we had in Blackaddie's restaurant that will live in the memory. From canapés to petit fours with the coffee, Ian's inspired and skilful cooking combined with Jane's pleasant and knowledgable service was a delight. The toast and marmalade milk shake, trio of pork, duck in wild mushroom consommé, lemon posset and strawberry dessert were all marvellous dishes, beautifully presented, packed with freshness and flavour. But it was Ian's creation like the carrot (yes, carrot) sorbet that really pushed the envelope, an exquisite and flavoursome dish!
Blackaddie delivers the finest of fine dining and is well worth a visit, quality costs and you get exceptional value for money in Ian and Jane's dining room, we highly recommend at least one meal here if you are in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

As part of my girlfriend's birthday weekend, I booked Blackaddie.

The deal was one standard room with four course meal, amuse bouche, pre-dinner canapés and petite four included in the deal.

We were greeted by a friendly chap who showed us to our room and explained the dining process, asked what time we would like to dine and gave a brief history of the place. A nice touch was the room was home-made shortbread and tablet in, both delicious and didn't last very long.

Being honest, the room wasn't anything special, a tidy, very clean room. The bed provided us both with one of the comfiest sleeps we had enjoyed in a while, but aside from that nothing special. But in my experience, the room isn't at all a measure of a place. It was not sold on its bedrooms and there were plans displayed in the conservatory which showed what was to come, so this will be worth a viewing!

The food was delicious. I am a massive foodie, as is my girlfriend and the meal was outstanding - Michelin star quality. Perfectly executed and the service was just what we needed, not too personal with good advice on the wine offered.

The chef had a chat to us after the meal and the owner(s) offered advice on local walks, as well as whiskey. All in all, a cracking place and one I would like to come back to.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ABaldNortherner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanquhar
Trigony House Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,062 reviews
Ken Bridge Hotel
Ken Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in New Galloway

Been to Blackaddie Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!