“A warm welcome, excellent inspirational tuition, in a relaxed, immaculate environment and wonderful home cooked food !” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jones the Art

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glyn Ceiriog
Jones the Art
Ranked #2 of 4 Glyn Ceiriog B&B and Inns
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

I've just returned from a Five day Residential Art Holiday at JonestheArt, Glyn Ceiriog, Llangollen, and I have to say that I have enjoyed every minute.
George and Gail made me feel very welcome, my room was very clean, comfortable and had everything I needed , including a tea tray ! A privelege to share their home.
I was a bit worried , being a novice artist whether I would be out of my depth and how much I would learn, but George is fantastic, very enthusiastic, very patient and soon I began to learn an awful lot in a short space of time. He was very flexible and adapted the course to suit my needs. On a break from the tuition, George became my personal guide to the Llangollen area !! Nothing was too much trouble. Gail fed me well , she is an excellent cook, with fruit and vegetables from their garden, I enjoyed every mouthful.
I will definately be booking again.
Wonderful people, Beautiful area, Excellent tuition.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank Lynnb0809

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Llangollen, Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2010

Gail's home cooking is wonderfully presented and should be classed as gourmet! George's knowledge of art is vast and is happy in any medium. The Ceiriog valley is indeed 'A little piece of Heaven on Earth'. Hafod is a character house with the advantage of an adjacent studio. A wonderful place to stay and a VERY reasonable costs. Highly recommended

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ladymerle
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2010

Having spent a week with George and Gail as an absolute novice in the art world I have been inspired to put brush to canvas and am thrilled and amazed at the level I have achieved after just one week with George. Many thanks George.

I arrived at luch time on the Monday and was instantly welcomed and put at my ease by Gail with a nice cup of tea. Lunch followed soon after and it was a great introduction to Gail's superb cooking. Food throughout the week was nothing short of exceptional with nice little snacks mid morning and afternoon.

George is an absolute master at his craft and puts the subject across in a very relaxed yet professional manner. He is also a very patient man with the student and provides just the right amount of help to turn the occassional tight corner. He has a fantastic depth of knowledge and gives expert tuition of his subject in all mediums.

Together George and Gail are the perfect team ... nothing is too much trouble for them, they are so friendly and welcoming and I know I have made two new friends and we will pick up the threads where we left off when I return for a repeat visit.

Thank you both for an inspirational stay and look forward to seeing you soon.
Ian

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank Ian393
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2010

On arrival at ‘Jones the Art’, I had a warm welcome from Gail and George and was greeted by the mandatory cup of tea, which followed closely by lunch. All meals were of a high home cooked standard which didn’t diminish during my stay.

George is an extremely good teacher, very friendly and a fountain of knowledge and encouraged me to try other mediums and techniques. I couldn’t have wished for a better tutor and was welcomed into the family (including dogs) during my stay.

I would recommend ‘Jones the Art’ as a perfect art getaway and it was extremely good value for money in such a warm and welcoming environment.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank osprey70
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2010

Following a recommendation from a friend, we looked at the ‘Jones the Art’ website, and decided to give it a try based on the info provided on it and the photographs, the total cost of tuition and full-board seemed to be too good an opportunity to miss.

George’s teaching style was both stimulating and relaxing. His knowledge enabled him to take us though new techniques – and established ones – with clear explanations and at a pace we were comfortable with. In short, we felt inspired!

Gail’s cooking was a delight. Each meal was individually prepared on her AGA, and tastefully presented. Portions were generous without being over the top and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. Little things like occasional evening chocolate drinks and snacks were an unexpected and un-charged-for bonus.

Hafod House is comfortable and relaxing, clean without being sterile, tasteful without being pretentious, and as one might expect in an artist’s home – harmoniously decorated without being fussy. The village is quiet, which suited us, and there is ample parking opposite the house.

We thoroughly enjoyed our Art Holiday with ‘Jones the Art’ it represented wonderful value for money, and we have no hesitation in recommending everything about it most highly and we look forward to returning next year.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JCranmer
birmingham UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

George and Gail provide homely ,comfortable ,accomodation,and good food;with inspirational art teaching . My technique improved ,my ideas opened up,and my confidece boosted.Sited in a quiet beautiful valley yet close to the A5and the North Wales coast Glyn Cerioghas much to offer. Grace.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Malvern, Worcs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2008

Dear reader, if you are expecting en suite bedrooms, the high life and plastic covers on the lavatory seats and all the pomposity that goes with it, then read no further and go and book yourself into somewhere else that will pander to your particular desires, this is definitely not for you….neither George nor Gail Jones supply that sort of false service. What they will supply, with apparent ease but undoubtedly a lot of hard work, is a first class family home which you will be privileged to become a member of for the duration of your stay and possibly, if you behave yourself future friends.

They both (together with Lucy; their daughter) put huge almost seamless effort into supplying an absolutely blue chip holiday for anyone who wishes to buy in to what is on offer. I can think of nowhere else that I know where one can get full board, home cooking, delightful surroundings and lovely people for the same price (please tell no one in case someone decides to take them over!) Even the cat and two dogs accepted us as family from the start!

Allow me to set the scene, so that you can work out what our expectations were; this may assist you to gauge what your expectations should be. We both work in the public sector, and are used to dealing with people as our business. Both of us are in the early stages of learning art – I am learning to use pastels, Malli my partner is learning to use watercolours…but we are also both keen to swop over disciplines. We found Jonestheart website on the Net, liked the sound of it and so I rang and booked.

This was the first art holiday we had ever tried, we didn’t know what to expect and we had not known George or Gail prior to this delightful experience. From our first contact with Gail on the telephone we were made to feel totally comfortable and this continued when we arrived and throughout our stay. Similarly when I spoke to George, before our holiday on the phone to query something there was no difference. We booked from midday Wednesday to midday Sunday; which is a bit unusual but the arrangement worked for both parties. There can be a total of four students on these weeks, but we were very lucky to have the week to ourselves which obviously increased the experience and also made things even more flexible.

On our arrival we dropped our bags and went straight in to lunch; one of Gail’s delicious home-made soups with warm bread and a glass of wine. Afterwards we spent a couple of hours with George doing a critique of some of our pictures and going through the basics of perspective. After unpacking and freshening up, we were served a delicious homemade supper and then had the remainder of the evening to ourselves. The evenings are free to go for a walk around the village or onto the moors, visit the local pub, return to the studio to do some work on one’s own or collapse in a chair in the comfy sitting room in front of the fire and TV.

The following day set the trend for the whole holiday. Day one on water colours, two on pastels, the third; sketching outside at the Horseshoe Falls and an afternoon in the studio being introduced to a pen and ink wash alternative (I’ll leave George to explain, but it is really fun.) George has a well equipped studio attached to the house with a comprehensive reference library covering most areas of art and design. Although we had not expected it, a bonus was that we actually learnt quite a bit about art appreciation during our stay. The last day we spent the morning on a critique of our new learning and where we should be going with this knowledge. There was no formal timetable with this listed as the end item, but with hindsight George had expertly orchestrated us towards this finale.

Although we were both inexperienced, at no time did we feel as though we were being treated as other than friends who had an interest in art. George kept the pace at a rate that left neither of us was out of our depth. He has a huge breadth of knowledge and is keen to share it; if you are prepared to listen and just as importantly respond….as I mentioned earlier if you’re not prepared for this sort of holiday, then don’t spoil it; go elsewhere!

Our quarters were a very comfortable double bed and tea and coffee makings with the family bathroom next door. Rest assured if you are concerned by sharing the bathroom, it was always left cleaner than, probably, your home bathroom and you will never feel as though you are sharing.

In summary and put simply we stayed as members of the Jones family, accepted by all, fed on top class, in most cases home made food by Gail (definitely not good for those of you who are trying to loose a few pounds!), often served by Lucy and treated to first class immersion in the subject of art by George. The combination of the family, the pets, the beautiful valley of Glyn Ceiriog and the local hostelries made this a true Gestalt experience. We shall certainly visit again…but will it be as good the second time? I’m confident that the comfort, food and tuition will all stand the test of a second (third and fourth..) visit. The only difference being that we now know the family and feel sure that we will be able to slip back, effortlessly into this inspiring environment.

Would this holiday suit someone who is not a beginner but an intermediate or a ‘proper’ artist? Although this is hard for me to judge I suggest it would in both cases, but not necessarily together, because there may be some conflict of interests. George would undoubtedly resolve any such issues; he has many years of experience in teaching art and is both hugely enthusiastic and sensitive to the needs of his students that I would be surprised if anyone could leave with out having gained considerable learning. We have already recommended this holiday to a very proficient artist friend who paints in oils and watercolour. I’m sure he will enjoy his stay.

So what are the negatives of this holiday experience? Personally, I found the fact that we ate alone in the evenings a bit strange…I’d happily have sat in the comfy kitchen - although Malli pointed out, quite rightly - that the family do need some time to themselves. Similarly when I raised this point with George, he said that they felt that guests may wish a bit of time alone. And as for other downsides? We really honestly cannot think of any.

We would like to wish the whole Jones family continued success with the enterprise and hope that you enjoy your art holiday. We also hope that you will find that we have done justice to this holiday recommendation and enjoy it as much as we did!

4 Thank marigold2