“No room at the inn”
Review of Upper Largo Hotel

Upper Largo Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Largo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We are sometime diners at the upper largo hotel. We stay at the caravan site at monturpie which is a short distance from the upper largo hotel and often walk down from the caravan site to have a meal there. We have mostly been happy with the service and the food. The one time we went on the sunday for the roast it was a terrible meal the roast was like the pre-sliced reformed plastic stuff you buy from the cash and carry. I can only assume they ran out of the real stuff and this was the back up. Apart from this we had some really nice meals there. The last time we went we never booked. We went in and were informed after an inordinate wait that there were no tables available. We said no problem we would settle for a bar lunch only to be told the bar was fully booked. fully booked? There were eight people in the dining room and six people in the bar. Now I appreciate there may be a problem with the staff but really a bar fully booked. This is the first time I've heard of a fully booked empty bar. This belies the hotel s web site which says that meals are served all day. We decided to go to the old manor where we were served no problem with lovely food and great service and were not made to feel like an imposition. The moral of the tale is if you dont book dont go to the upper largo as your not welcome.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim S

Reviewed 1 November 2013

I decided to take the missus for an afternoon meal, She had no idea where we were going and it was the first time I had been so it was a risk I was willing to take, we were far from disappointed.

The meal was great, presentation was excellent and the staff were very professional!

We will definitely be visiting again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bryan S
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Mooching our way along the Fife Coastal Road at around 2 pm, searching for somewhere to assuage our growing hunger, we chanced upon this hotel and, intrigued by the roadside advert for the 'Crunch Lunch' of three courses for £9.95 served until 9 pm, we thought we would give it a try. What a good decision that was! Breaded Haggis, followed by roast pork with new potatoes and seasonal vegetables then Eton mess for my wife, deep-fried Brie, roast pork and then Eton mess for me, all served efficiently by a charming smiling waitress at a total coast of £19.90 - absolutely fantastic! How the proprietors do it I do not know - they certainly don't stint on quality or quantity. Our only regret - we found it on the last day of our holiday! It was only on leaving we noticed the Trip Advisor Certificate of Merit. Richly earned and rightly awarded. If you are in the Kingdom of Fife, don't miss it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Visiting friends and called in here on our way back to denhead,st.andrews,the food(price crunch menu) and service was first class.can recommend it. The price of drinks was quite cheap compared to other pub/restaurants I have been in.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My brother in law, nephew and I booked a table here after not visiting for few years as we had heard good things about the food.
Table was booked for 5:00pm on Sunday 4th Aug, and we strolled up from Lower Largo on a beautiful afternoon.
The car park was busy and the restaurant aprx' half full.
We were shown to our table and given menus, all three of them! Al a carte, Sunday roast special, and the Chefs Weekend Special. Drinks were ordered and we looked over the menus.
The Sunday Roast was fantastic value at only £10:95 and looking around the rest of the rest of the tables was obviously proving popular with holiday folks & locals alike.
This is where we went wrong!
We ordered from a mix if the menus and the food took 45 minutes to arrive!
My prawns in garlic and a herb sauce on rice was mediocre at best. The small prawns, all 5 of them, were ok but the rice was totally bland and I had to add salt, which I almost never do, to give it any sort of taste. If the sauce the prawns were cooked in had been poured into the dish it would have probably been fine. I then had pork belly with Stornaway black pudding and a duck egg. As there were no accompaniments we ordered fat chips & onion rings for sides, but when the food eventually arrived, a large dish of assorted veg appeared. Enough to feed a small army.
The black pudding & duck egg were fabulous, but the pork belly was cut thin, and as a result was tough and chewy at best. The accompanying sauce was in a small pouring pot but was too hot to pick up, and with a film over the sauce had probably been under a hot lamp for far too long?
My brother in law ordered lamb shank, was given lamb cutlets, but as they appeared ok accepted them as we had waited so long and said they were fine.
My nephew was impressed with the steak pie.
The waitresses were young and obviously very inexperienced but I must add very pleasant and tried to be helpful.
Didn't know what bottled or draught beers they had. Turned out two of each. But did know they served Pepsi as opposed to Coke.
I would suggest they should cut out at least one of the 3 menus, or even, on a Sunday, stick with the Sunday Roast, as it was obvious we threw the kitchen into disarray deviating from this.
We would go back, being prepared for a lengthy wait, and would probably stick to the Sunday Roast, if going on a Sunday?
Great value for families.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MRW1956
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I feel it is only fair to The Buffalo Farms customers and our genuine trade customers to let you know the details of what happened visited Upper Largo Hotel yesterday evening. I received a phone call advising me that the Upper Largo Hotel was falsely advertising Puddledub Buffalo Burgers on their menu.

I can only speak for the burger that I was served which was categorically not a burger that we produce despite specifically ordering this and being told that it was farmed in Auchtertool. I also ordered an Aberdeen Angus Burger which appeared to be identical to the ‘Buffalo Burger’ that I was served. This sequence of events backed up exactly what I had been told would happen. I obviously questioned the Manager and the Proprietor and was told that this was a one off mistake and that they were in the process of changing their menu.

Following yesterday’s events we have had further communication from the Proprietor and they have provided various other explanations as they attempted to explain how they have continued to have our product on the menu despite not ordering from us for some considerable time, including advising me that they purchased burgers from a shop that doesn’t even stock our burgers. Being sceptical I find it difficult to understand why they would claim to purchase our burgers at full retail price when they had ordered from us previously and at that time negotiated very hard for a trade discount.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
9  Thank TheBuffaloFarm
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My wife and I ate on our last evening of a short break to the East Neuk of Fife and wished we had gone there every evening. The food was superb and at an unbelievably modest price. Service was also good. Venue was a lounge extended by a large conservatory. We were in the conservatory part which was the nicer area. It was obviously very popular among locals and we suspected that it was a regular eating place for many, and why should they go anywhere else when such good value can be found on their doorstep, lucky people!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Largo
Old Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Markinch
Caledonian Hotel
Caledonian Hotel
#3 of 4 in Leven

Been to Upper Largo Hotel? Share your experiences!