“Topcats - Topcarps - Top Entertainment”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Taling Ngam
TopCats Fresh Water Fishing Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Grenada
“Topcats - Topcarps - Top Entertainment”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Excellent two days fishing catching fish from 40 - 100 lbs and all varieties

Very exciting and entertaining for the very keen angeler to the novice

Staying in the boat rooms just topper it off

Great value for money entertainment

The fishing guides were amazing

Simon & Charles

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Hawick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Stayed 3 days best 3 days i've ever had on my holidays amazing fishing 11 species,30 fish total catch weight 1120lbs.Acomm is great staying on a boat clean and comfy. Pool ideal for cooling off and the food is great will be back again for more monster fish.

Room Tip: All rooms are nearly the same
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hawickman
San Diego, California
Reviewed 16 January 2010

I just spent a week at TopCats and really enjoyed it. You can stay there, or just day fish for big catfish, carp (not cheezy European or common carp), arapaima, gar, and a few other wild species like pacu, a kind of vegetarian pirana.

Fishing in Thailand is really fun because you get a guide, they do everything, and even bring you beer and yummy food while you sit in the shade. I love it. Bring pain killers though, since fighting a few of those big Mekong catfish will leave you hurting.

use the website: www.fishinginthailand.com for more information and reservations. Koh Samui rocks too. Island paradise.

3 Thank redsaidfred
Chester, UK
Reviewed 8 August 2009

I recently went to Samui and stayed in Chaweng at the Amari. I was sat on the beach and a guy came up to me raving about a fishing trip he and his son had been on. He was a keen sports fisherman and goes every year to Madeira to catch big gane fish but said he's never done any fishing as amazing as this! When he showed me his pics of him holding these whoppers I just had to go.
Basically, Top Cats is an inland lake which has been recently taken over by a really decent English guy called Shaun. Its what I'd call a mid sized lake in a beautiful tree lined area of Taling Ngam. He can arrange for you to be picked up from anywhere on the island for a very modest fee.
There is a bar and restaurant on site with the friendliest staff, chilled drinks and freshly cooked authentic Thai or even English food if you're missing it! The staff come along every 20 minutes or so to see if you need anything and the prices are much less than in Chaweng.
The fishing was just out of this world. I realise that I am full of superlatives but it was really mind blowing. You can't fail to catch a really big fresh water fish here, predominantly monster carp and giant catfish, but I believe there are loads of other amazing fish here like aligator gar (which have to be seen to be believed!), Arapaima, and Mekong giant catfish of several varieties. The guys there help you bait up, cast out advise about the best places to try and assist as little or as much as you wish. They are a mine of information about the fishing, life in general, football, places to go etc and I couldn't praise them highly enough. We even ended up throwing each other into the water and behaving like big kids which was just what was needed on a scorcher of a day.
I went for only 4 hrs but spent almost 6 there, start to finish. I got in more than my alloted time fishing but also had a drink in the bar and a swim in the lake, looking after the big fish I'd caught. There are also converted rice barges that can be booked to stay on which look fantastic and a pool for any partners who want to come with you and not fish, for which there is no charge. One of the many things that impressed me about the place , apart from the hospitality of the owner, his bar staff and the fishing guides was the way the fish are cared for. They're allowed to settle once landed and unhooked and kept in a soft net, the size of a windsurfers bar (just to give you some idea of scale). The fish are then treated with some iodine antiseptic, and placed over oxygen jets in the water which is bubbled up to keep the lake oxygenated and at the correct pH (which is also tested daily to optimise the fish) Once the photos are taken with your catch, they are carefully led to a holding pool where instead of being turned into sushi, are allowed to settle, reoxygenate and are fed before being allowed to swim off. The animal husbandry was spectacular and the staff really care for the fish.
While I was there, I caught 5 monsters, ranging from a 20lbs tiddler carp to a giant 100lbs mekong catfish which took 3 of us to hold! I also hooked a stunning siamese carp and an arapaima (wow) amongst others, and brought a whopper of a red tail 5 foot from the edge before I lost it. The guy who was next to me also caught loads in the time I was there and we were both encouraged to get into the water with the fish.

It was by far the best fishing experience of my entire 37 yrs and I can't praise the place highly enough. I told Shaun that I'd spread the word when I returned home as he's only recently taken the place over and I'm doing this as much for him as I am to encourage people to spend some time at Topcats to fulfill their wildest fishing dreams. It was such great fun, from start to end.
So often in life you are promised things that seem too good to be true and are sadly disappointed, but this is the true exception and redresses the balance. I am still grinning about it 3 weeks later. It's like the 1st time you go to Alton Towers as a kid- but with monster fish!
I feel it necessary to clarify that I've no link to the place or am being coerced into this glowing report - I've never felt compelled enough to post a comment here before.
Oh and finally, the prices they charge are so reasonable, its almost a joke. The food and drink is really reasonable (£2-£3 ameal) and I think the whole experience including pick up, drop off, food, drinks all day, bait and fishing came to less than £35!!
I'm sure Im not allowed to post their web address on here but if you went to fishinginthailand.com you might be able to see what I'm raving on about.
Thanks so much for a wonderful day and I'm so pleased I got chatting to that guy on the beach!
ps I'll try to post some photos at a later stage to show how good it is!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
14 Thank crash_induction
london
Reviewed 27 December 2008

This is my 1st attempt at a review so thanks for reading it so far!!
My family and i had such a great time on the island that i felt i should share some of our experiences with everybody.
In Feb. 2008 i fullfilled some of my lifes ambitions in catching some of the biggest freshwater fish in the world, at Top Cats resort on Samui.
My family and i were met at the airport by our guide supplied by Top Cats,who took us to our villa up in the mountains.We chose the villa over staying in a hotel as there were 8 of us and the cost was much cheaper overall as it has 7 seperate apartments all with t.v. playstations, kitchinette, a/c, marble floors, en-suite bathroom and shower,outdoor pool overlooking the island,real luxury.(see pics).
After settling in our hire car/truck arrived (which was arranged by Mike the English owner of Top Cats).Hiring a car or pick up is really advisable as taxis are not cheap and can quickly drain finances.We drove to the lake which was a 20 minute drive away (navigating around the island is easy as it only has 1 main road which circumnavigates the whole island.We arrived at 1pm ready for an afternoons fishing 2-9pm.My family dont fish as they are all girls but had a fun afternoon in the bar and lazing round the swimming pool,it was left to Liam (my eldest daughters boyfriend) and i to do battle. Our guide Cha came to get us from the bar which is a very short walk from the lake,everything was ready rods tackle bait,we didnt even have to cast out as Cha rowed our baits into fishy looking spots.
After giving Liam a crash course in how to play a fish as he was a non fisherman we were ready to do Battle with some of the hardest fighting freshwater fish in the world.
The afternoon progressed with us drinking beers and missing bites for the 1st 2 hours the frustration was killing me until Liam hooked a siamese carp (something i had wanted to catch since childhood) played it for 20 mins and skillfully landed it,pangs of joy laced with a small amount of jealousy washed over me as i said well done and took some pics,hoping my turn would come.
It did some 20 mins later i hooked what felt like a runaway car,it turned out to be a red tailed catfish of 55lbs my biggest fish ever pleased as punch as the pics show.
The afternoon rolled into evening and our score of 3 red tailed catfish 2 pacu (a large pirahana type fish without the teeth) and 1 siamese catfish was rounded off by me fullfilling that ambition of catching a siamese carp of 45lbs fantastic.
We had 1 more afternoons fishing whilst on the island as we were only on samui for 5 days,and i caught an alligator gar which had ferocious looking teeth and a prehistoric head (see pics) topped off with an arapiama of 45lbs which looked massive to me but i was told it was a baby compared with the resort record of 230lbs which was swimming about,as Arnie said i"ll be back.
The great thing about the resort is after doing battle all day you can retire to the bar and swop tales with other fisherman about the bigguns that got away and believe me i lost some bigguns,till the small hours and if you are staying in a hotel in town Mike will get you a lift back there.
A brief resume of the options available are you can rent the villa,or stay on a house boat on the lake (which i intend to do when i go back in 2009) which means you can wake upto the sound of howler monkeys calling each other in the mountains and get a full english cooked breakfast before you start fishing,the food by the way was 1st class a mixture of Thai or English whatever you fancy.You dont have to be an experienced angler as all tackle and training is supplied,it seemed as though nothing was too much trouble,we had a fantastic time and have already booked to go back next April.

So a BIG thank you to Mike and the staff at Top Cats Resort for making my families holiday the best ever.
Feel free to contact me if you wish, or you can see their web site. Dont miss the chance to catch that fish of a lifetime and show the pics off to all your friends.
Thanks for reading

Easy Time Resort
Easy Time Resort
#5 of 7 in Taling Ngam
InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort

Been to TopCats Fresh Water Fishing Resort? Share your experiences!