Samahita Retreat
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Easy Time Resort(Taling Ngam)
  • Breakfast included
Centara Villas Samui(Maret)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsyoga practicewellness centreteacher trainingdetox programno alcoholdaily lifede stresslife changinginfrared saunahealthy foodsteam roomamazing yogakoh samuilose weightwellness treatmentspeanut butterexcellent teachers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 February 2011

I did the one-month yoga teacher training here in November and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. Paul and his staff are amazing and very accommodating. To be able to practice yoga every day in such a beautiful setting was incredible. The food was healthy and fresh and the pool and steamroom were added bonuses.

Although I shared a room with one other person, it didn't feel like I had a roommate because there are two levels with a bed on each and a shared bathroom. Everything was very clean and made fresh everyday.

I loved every minute of my stay there!

• Stayed: November 2010
2  Thank whereonearth07
Reviewed 4 February 2011

My wife, daughter and I stayed at Samahita this last week and loved it.

My wife and I did a three day detox and the yoga retreat. Being fairly new to yoga and never having done a detox, I wasn't sure what to expect. Now that I've completed both, I'm happy to share the positive experience.

Starting with the yoga part of the review, I found the daily breathing and yoga routines to be re-energizing. The instructors, Paul and Ellon, were terrific. Since the group was quite mixed in terms of experience, it was nice to have Ellon focus on us newbies and provide us the focused attention. There were a couple of other co-instructors available to help. I walked away from the week with a great foundation to build from which I very much plan to do.

The detox portion of was equally great. Claudia and her staff were super attentive which made me feel pampered and looked after. The detox helped me lose a few pounds and left me feeling great overall. As a result of this experience, my wife and I are also re-booting our diet and have committed to cutting out meat and eating more healthy natural food going forward.

Now, let's not forget my daughter who is seven. Samahita provided a kid-sitter(for a small fee) who was absolutely a delight with our girl as they spent each morning together. They played games, toured the neighborhood, played at the beach and did simple things that made our baby very happy. Thanks Nee.

During the last two days, we rented a car and went shopping at Chawang and Natong. Got some great deals!

Anyhow, it was a wonderful trip and we look forward to our return to Samahita. Thank you Paul and Jutima and their wonderful staff for a memorable and life enhancing experience.

• Stayed: January 2011
4  Thank Martin T
Reviewed 2 February 2011

I spent one month in Yoga Thailand doing a teacher training there. I was impressed with all what the place and the course entitled. The accomodation is very clean, modern, spacious, and of high standard. All the common areas where superb, and the steam room came handy to loosen up tired muscles. The staff was lovely and the food.. I gained weight put it that way!! There were families there with their kids as well and its very chld friendly for anyone travelling little ones. Away from the tourist masses, on a nice quiet beach.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Samadi-Bali
Reviewed 2 February 2011

I was at Samahita Yoga Thailand for one month teacher training with Paul. I felt like I m in another place where I could find peace an fully rest my head & my mind from big city and stress.

Samui is quite a commercial Island but I found that where SYT is located is exceptional. The center and its neighborhood are quiet and really perfect for your retreat and for Learning.

Bedroom has all the basic things you need. Eventhough there is no TV but I think it's still perfect. You are here to rest and maybe spend time on your own. Shower is proper for some student activities.

Main Yoga Shala is perfect with natural light and natural air. Beach Shala is good for yoga by the beach. Paul is the best teacher in my yoga life and will always be. He has that deep understanding of both yoga asana and other aspects of eight limbs.

Pool is closed by the Shala and nice for refreshing yourself and also steam room that is good for your relaxation. Sattva dining has the most wonderful food I have ever had in my life. My diet has changed after I left the training. Food does affect your practice so it's good to have a chance to try it there.

Wellness center is also a good place for your detox and relaxation. I did colonic hydrotherapy and one therapy massage and it was very very nice. I have been barefeet all day long and it made me feel I was back to my childhood.

Overall, it's really perfect place for yoga practitioners, as well as others who need a true healthy retreat. Maybe not as much luxury as other resorts but the basic things together with high quality services and top quality yoga teachers would be the best experience you could find from SYT.

I can't wait to be there again this year :)

Namaste

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 21 January 2011

This place is clean and new compared to most places we stayed on the island. Rooms were quaint and comfortable,and set in a nice garden setting, not on the beach front as we were expecting and you actually have to cross a road to get from the center to where the rooms are situated. Some of the rooms also smell of sewage from time to time , and was told that this is normal in Thailand due to lack of pressure in the sewage systems, which i didnt exactly understand but the language barrier of the person working the reception kept me from enquiring deeper. I spoke to other guests and it seemed this was only a problem in the house we were in and not throughout the other houses, there are 8 rooms per house. The food is good and included in the cost of staying, and the menu changed nightly and is served buffet style 2 times a day, they also have a a la carte menu which you can pay for, a juice bar which was limited but good also at an extra cost. Not exactly the place for backpacking budget conscious travelers as everything was 30-40% more than any other place we visited, especially the wellness center which was astronomically priced compared to the bodywork you can have just down the road, we estimated a 700% increase for the same therapies, yes 700%, which doesnt exactly make for a cheap vacation. Also getting here may is a kind of a hassle as most taxi drivers havent heard of it, you can however get a taxi shuttle from the center for a slightly higher cost. The workshop we took was amazing, teachers were informative and well trained and i would study with either of the 2 we studied with again. So in a nut shell if money is not an issue i would recommend this place to anyone, however anyone on a budget could not begin to think about staying here as it is way higher priced than most places of similarity on the island. A friend we made at the center also had an awkward situation arise when he was trying to plan transportation to the airport, he enquired about transport and was quoted a price,, realizing he could get a taxi for cheaper he asked if he could make a call to the taxi company and was told he could not, even though it says guests staying have access to the phone right in the brochure. So he was forced to take their taxi service at a higher cost. For what it costs to stay you would assume better service but it seems they are pinching any penny possible and charging you as much as possible, but again if money is not an issue and are looking for quality yoga instruction than i would recommend this place as they do have great teachers and really do their best to have the best traveling teachers come through there to workshop.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank spietropaula
shadow2003, Owner at Samahita Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2011

Dear guest,
thank you for your recent stay and review at our retreat center. we take all guest comments seriously good or bad and will always try to improve on our services.
1. We apologize for the bad smell during your stay. Most properties on the island use a underground septic system and when there is heavy rain, you will have some odor from the drains. we know it is a problem in certain areas of the property and have plans to improve this situation.
2. wellness service prices - we are a specialized wellness center with highly trained therapists and nurse who continually receive training in anatomy, physiology, nutrition, english, therapeutic skills, professionalism and yoga to better understand and provide the best service for our guests. we also use hand blended organic products and cold pressed oils for all treatments. we can not complete with the cheap massage shops around the island. our 60 min Thai massage price after discount for our in-house guests is 500 baht which we feel is very reasonable for the complete and safe experience.

3. taxi service - our taxi rate has been the same for over 2 years and we do not want to increase the rates although gasoline prices has gone up. we even offer a taxi shared rate if you were to share your taxi to the airport. this helps you save cost and we can help save on fuel/ pollution. our taxi service to the airport is 900 baht for a 45 min-60 min service. you may not be aware that in Thailand, automobiles are taxed at 200% and on our island we pay a 20% higher price for fuel than the mainland.

4. over all value - since we opened in 2003 and have always maintained an affordable, but high quality place for practice, learning, and sharing in the yoga and wellness lifestyle. since then, many places have opened up around the island offering similar concepts (yoga, detox, wellness etc..) , but if you research carefully on the rates for a 5 or 7 day stay at the inclusive resorts, you will see that we have always been lower priced. we do not exclude back packers or luxury travelers, but as a retreat center, we have to be responsible to the community we serve and price our programs fairly for the high quality services that we offer.

Again, we appreciate all sincere comments and will use your feedback to continually improve on.

Kind regards,