“A new wonderful experience”

InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Reviewed 16 April 2013

This is our second time back to this hotel now renovated and under new management. We arrived late and were led to a spacious and very comfortable room by the head concierge who ensured everything was OK with before leaving. The hotel has gone under renovation quite a bit - the open air dining area on the reception floor is replaced by a much better restaurant one floor below and the beach side facilities are more built-up. The infinity pool is as attractive as ever. Once you are in this hotel, you've to rely pretty much on its dining facilities since it's quite far from town to the north. But you'd enjoy the dining venues there, especially the dinner buffet at the Flames. The head chef there is very friendly and would introduce the best dish of the night for you to enjoy. You can use the free hotel bike to go around the place a bit and attend one of the sailing session (if you don't know how to sail) and let the experienced staff take you out to the islands and back with him doing all the hardwork and you enjoying the blue sea. The staff memebers are very attentive. One night, the hotel main fuse blew off and the backup generator kicked in. Unfortunately, our room was very close to the facility and having continuous humming sound. Upon knowing this, the staff changed our room immediately and sent us a bottle of wine to help us "ease over the unpleasant experience". While waiting for the golf-cart to bring us to the hotel beach at one time outside the hotel main entrance, a gentleman came up asking what the hetel can be of help. We indicated our wish and this gentleman asked his secretary to drive us there! And he is the General Manager of the hotel. We had a very enjoyable stay and would return next time around.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank kwcng
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Dear kwcng,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience here on TripAdvisor. It is wonderful to learn that you took the time to enjoy your second return visit to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort. Additionally, I am glad to hear that all the hard work and efforts of our team members enable you to have a relaxing holiday.

Thank you once again for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back to your “New wonderful experience” at Koh Samui to your upcoming visit.

Best regards,

Reviewed 14 April 2013

We just came back from 11 days in this incredible resort. I booked an hotel transfer from the airport, they welcomed us with cold towel and water in a luxury van, so it gived us directly a foretaste of the service and attention that we did experience during our stay.
First of all, it has been mentioned many time, but it's definitely the most gorgeous view we have ever seen. If you are lucky enough with the sky, you will see some of the most beautiful sunset on earth.

We were upgraded to a beachfront villa : it's very nicely appointed (Back to home, I'm looking if I can buy the same mattress as it was so comfortable...) and jumping in your private pool in the middle of the night, under the stars, is something I will never forget.

Even if the hotel is full (their is less than 80 rooms) it does not feel crowded, you always find place in the beach or around the 6 pools (hotel advertise 7, but the purple pool is private). The infinity pool near the lobby, the blue pool and the beach pool are our favorite. Please note that the beach isn't the main advantage of the hotel, as there is some rocks, but you can swim by going at the end of the private pier. However if the beach is your main criteria, you may want to look for another facilities.

Also the walk from the beach to the resort isn't that hard, most of the people used the caddie. We never had to wait more than 2 min when we need them so the hotel situation is really not a issue unless you suffer from a severe mobility issue.

We particularly appreciate all the small attention like the complimentary water at the pool, small fruits and other thai ravioli that they bring during the day, or the chef at the flame bringing some barbecue seafood to taste... .That was for me the difference between a good hotel and a incredible hotel.

We took the hotel boot trip to Angthong Marine N.P., it may be a little more expensive than the other tour operator, but I highly recommend it! You will avoid a long road transfer (the boat will take you in the resort beach). We where only 8 persons in the boat so you feel very exclusive, and the crew (captain, the private guide and the attendant) did everything to make this journey unforgettable. We did snorkeling, an amazing picnic in a desert beach, sight seen and we where lucky enough to see some monkeys. Try to book early enough as the tour operate only if they're is a minimum of 6 passengers and up to 12 maximum.

My partner and her daughter took also the Thai cooking class, and they had a lot of fun discovering the local market with chef Tao and cooking Thai food with the help of Olive and the whole team in the amazing kitchen of the Amber.

We try all the food option of the resort (Amber, Flames, beach bar and the in room service) and all where delicious. I particularly recommend the “all you can eat” BBQ at the Flames. Price are at US or EU level, so do not compare to thai price, but I guess it's similar to what you will pay in the same category of hotel in Samui, like the W or the Conrad. I find the price for the cocktails fair, but the wine is expensive.

The breakfast buffet is probably on of the most gargantuan we ever seen. From thai food, sushi, noodles, fresh fruits, pastry, egg station, donuts...
Be careful with your rates, some seems to not include breakfast but the IC website is not very clear on this point (I had to ask the hotel directly)

I read on previous comment on trip advisor some lack of service, from my point of view if you except the same service as in Europe or US you may be disappointed, they probably don't have the catering school that you have in EU or US (if if they have, only a few percentage of the population can afford it) but they compensate by their willingness, kindness, happiness... in other word the “Thai hospitality”. So yes, you may have to repeat twice to be understood, or need to call twice the reception to make something fix, but if you are tolerant and have a bit of patience it shouldn't be a issue. Anyway management are always looking to help you in any circumstance. A special thanks to Pom for his smile, kindness ,and always asking if we need anything. Thanks also to Timmy who was helping us when we had some request that couldn't be fulfill by the front-desk.

As everything can improve, this is some suggestion to the management (just little point):

An employee (I will not say his name here, as I'm still unsure if is intention were good or not) who was insisting to bring us on some party (nikky beach) saying that he can put us on the list.., and even drive us there. He continue to insist a little bit, even after I told him that we were not the targeted audience. I can't prove it, but I had the feeling that this guy was commissioned by the club to be a tout, and that make me uncomfortable.

For the picnic during the cruise, the food was very good, but it was way to much! We all feel bad when we so all what we left over going to the trash, the hotel should consider to reduce the quantity.

The in room dining experience was not linear, sometimes exceptional and sometimes just ok for exactly the same order.

Concierge service is very helpful when you are there, but sometimes they lack to answer to e-mail (twice I had to send a reminder), they should better track that.

Maybe a possibility to check your balance account from the TV (like in may other IC) will be useful.

Overall experience was outstanding and it's certainly the best seaside vacation we ever had.
We will definitely come back to this beautiful resort

Room Tip: For beach front villa, avoid 501 to 504 as they have limited privacy (they are in front of the beach...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Zebul0n

Dear Zebul0n,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your stay at our “Home on the beautiful cliff”. At InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, we continually strive to exceed each of our guest's expectations. I am pleased that we were able to provide you with a relaxing holiday; the spectacular views, our Beachfront Pool Villas, our hotel facilities and our culinary were the highlight of your stay.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you here again for another wonderful holiday, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 11 April 2013

From the moment I entered the lobby of this wonderful hotel, it was WOW moment, after WOW moment!
The views are spectacular , the settings of the hotel are tranquil. Rooms fantastic and staff super helpful!
I was privileged to attend my friends wedding recently. The wedding was an amazing day with the reception being held on the beach. All guests had acwonderful time!
The only problem I have is, i will compare all hotels to the Intercontental Samui! the bench mark has been set very high by this wonderful hotel. Congratulations to the management and staff

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Tsuddami
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Dear Tsuddami,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed and wonderful experience with us. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed our accommodation and our service at the resort. I have shared your encouraging comments with the hosts mentioned on your review and they are very happy to read your review. I look forward to your upcoming visit to your “home on a beautiful cliff”.

Warm regards

Reviewed 11 April 2013

With many hotels to choose from and all with spectacular views, it's really up to the staff to step up and make the differences... Yes, you will find the amazing Thai hosting manners here and for moments you will feel like you are at the paradise destination you planned. But the scams and frauds and their "Director of Guest Services (Tim)" demeanor would make you scream and wonder... this is INTERCONTINENTAL?

First of all, we were there to attend a wedding, and only because we did not want to "ruin" it (and was reminded by Tim). we "decided" not to escalate.

Here's the story:

So the bride and groom decided to have their reception here, I wanted to book a pool villa, but due to my wife's concern of geckos... we've selected a "Premier Ocean Room" instead... Direct quote from their site...

***Premier Ocean View Rooms offer a similar layout to Ocean View Rooms, with spectacular 180 degree sea view and upgraded amenities....Distinct Southern Thai-style vaulted ceiling with overhead fans... Located on the top floor... Premium toiletries...Tropical kit...Arrival Gift...***

We arrived quite late that night (around 10:30pm) and when we were handed the keys, We quickly noticed that our room was not on the top floor, our reception claims that the top floor was not available. So in other words, we were downgraded without consent.

I told him this was not acceptable, but it was getting late so I said we will take the room if they'll waive it for the night and we will discuss again in the morning. After contacting the director, they offered to upgrade us to a villa. (wasn't my wife's choice... but again, it's getting late)

The villa was nice... until problem arises...
1. room was not ready, arrival kit missing
2. main light cannot be switched off... I called the reception... apparently they knew the issue, and said they'll send someone to fix it, it was 1am and my wife said she'll sleep with the main lights on.
3. 2am, A/C broke down, fan still blowing... decided to take care of it in the morning
4. 7am, fan broke down, called the reception, said will be sending someone to fix it, so we head out to breakfast.

After breakfast, the director (Tim) called, explains that the room's A/C compressor has been known to overheat, he offered to waive the previous night and move us back in the premier room.

Later that afternoon, the A/C broke again so we got our room changed... Apparently, we were sent back to the previous room they assigned, NOT a premier room. Tim came into our room and start telling me that the room is their Premier Room, Well, no Thai ceiling, non premier toiletries, no tropical kit, no arrival gift...

Tim then explains that this is because their website is out of date... ah... excuse me? the forefront of guest information, the website of InterContinental is out of date? False with information??

Worst of all is that Tim wouldn't let me complete any sentence, he would constantly interrupt and tell me I was wrong, I asked him to stop interrupting but he kept barging in and when I decided to raise my voice so I would be louder, he said he would not do anything with me and turn his back on me to leave. Our issues was not over and he said he will only come again when I lower my voice... It was soo stressful talking to him, as I worked for him instead of being in a holiday... I had to beg him to stay because I needed things resolved...

All he was willing to compensate was to put us back on the top floor, but I felt that was unreasonable as that would mean us moving for the 4th time in two days... so he offered a complimentary meal for me and my wife... which I also declined because we were traveling in a group of 20+ and we will be with them throughout...

It was getting late and the beachfront wedding had started... so I quickly agreed that Tim will see what kind of discount he could offer to the room and hurried to the beach.

The discount was a lousy ~10% (which is zero since we were stuck in a regular room when we paid for a Premier..) and a one hour massage for 1 which my wife and I could not enjoy as the only time available was when we had group activities.

Adding insults to injuries...

1. all the refunds were made to the wrong party... instead of refunding to us, Intercontinental decided to make the refund to the groom's credit card.

2. As our group's wedding gift to the bride and groom, we ordered a bunch to lanterns to be lit at night by the beach. We told them it was a surprise and asked them to be discreet. Well,
a. at dinner time the concierge decided to ask the groom to confirm the lanterns, and
b. at departure they have decided to bill the lanterns to the groom.

I want to go on complain and comment about their lack to professionalism and many of our friends also had complaints regarding their experience and ask me to post them here as well... but I am getting tired of typing... I will be copying this post and email to InterContinental in hopes of a full refund...

Tim - you do not turn your back on your guest (I was already discreet by asking you to my room instead of raising the issue at the reception)

InterCon - your website CANNOT be out of date as thousands of holiday seekers visits it daily, falsifying information must be illegal in some extend.

Honestly, I stayed at this resort previously when it was Baan Taling Ngam, I thought it could only be better when InterContinental took over, I was wrong...

Room Tip: from experience only Villa 507 a/c compressor broke down twice in one day main lights are know...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank echo-i

Dear echoi,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback here on TripAdvisor.

Please accept my sincerest apology if you found your stay less than satisfactory due to the service that you received.

After a full investigation of the incident mentioned above, I can unfortunately not confirm the above statements.

We are a professional resort property, managed by professional individuals.

Timmy has been working in our industry for several years, and worked for very prestigious hotels, including ours.

Although I certainly understand your concerns, Timmy has proven to be an exceptional hotelier with several guest comments since he joined us.

Please also note that the content of our website is updated daily, and cannot be out of date.

We however take your comments very seriously and hope to welcome you in the future,
Thank you again for your comments.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 9 April 2013

My family spent 4 nights here for Spring Break 2013. We have teenagers and a preteen. It was lovely and relaxing. However, once you get to the property you really can only eat at the restaurant or at the beach bar. If you have hungry kids during the day, the restaurant or room service are your only option. In addition, there is only a small boutique for shopping, so don't plan on really doing anything but enjoying the resort. But, there is plenty of activities to do there and we didn't WANT to leave.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

Dear Seoullaura,

Thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review. We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful Spring Break stay with us at our "Home on a beautiful cliff".

Regarding the concept of the resort, InterContinental Samui is nestled into the cliffs of Baan Taling Ngam amid 22 acres of tropical paradise, providing guests a sanctuary of luxurious seclusion and privacy. As the resort is situated on the unspoilt west coast of Koh Samui, also known as “the Virgin coast”, we strive to provide our guests authentic and indigenous experiences and leisure activities (while ensuring full safety, as the wellbeing of our guests is our main concern) as a differentiation from the mass tourism readily available in the “frantic” areas of Koh Samui.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Sincerely yours

Reviewed 9 April 2013

I am a frequent traveler and I stay in hotels around 100 nights per year. I am a Platinum member of Starwood’s SPG and a Jade member of Shangri La’s Golden Circle. Normally, we try our best to stay at our familiar hotel chain due to my elite status with them and predictable consistency in quality, but my wife was attracted by the pictures and reviews of Intercontinental Koh Samui, hence we decided to step out of our comfort zone and booked our first ever intercontinental stay.

We booked the prepaid family retreat package in Feb 2013 and soon found out there was a billing issue. We emailed the hotel and got a prompt reply from Mr. Fezzy, the assistant reservation manager, who guaranteed us the problem would be rectified immediately. However, due to the negligence of some staff, it took them some time to settle this issue. We had a few email exchanges with Mr. Fezzy regarding this, and his replies were always prompt, helpful and polite. He was sincerely apologetic and arranged a complementary theme dinner for us. After knowing our trip was to celebrate my wife’s birthday, he promised to give us a room with a beautiful view. True enough, upon check-in, we were given a nice upgrade to a 2 bedroom villa by Mr. Timmy, the guest service manager. Our villa has a stunning view of the 5 islands right from our balcony!

Mr. Timmy is another team member who tried his utmost to make our stay as smooth and enjoyable as it could be. Whenever he saw us, he always checked with us to see how was our stay and always fulfilled our requests.

It is because of Mr. Fezzy and Mr. Timmy, we were truly impressed by Intercontinental Samui and really enjoyed our stay there very much.

Now back to the resort itself. Having visited a lot of beautiful resorts, we were still amazed by the view from the Air Bar and were wowed by the first glance of their main infinite pool.

This resort reminded us of Shangri La Boracay which we visited last Dec. Both resort are built on cliffs and are blessed with breathtaking sunset views. Of course it is more convenient for us to come to Intercontinental Samui because of the direct flights between Singapore and Samui, and it is a more value for money option too.

For families travelling with children, we strongly recommend family retreat package. It includes a return airport transfers, a complementary 60 minutes massages for two and kids can stay and eat for free. This package offers good value, especially if you are spa lovers. We tried their oriental oil massages. The therapists were skillful and treatments were good. The spa is located at the top of hill and has beautiful mountain views and great ambience. One of our best spa experiences ever.

We stayed at Vana Belle after Intercontinental and went to W Koh Samui for lunch once. Although we are loyal SPG members, we have to say, if you are going for view, come here; and if you are families with young children, definitely come here. They have a small kids club, a teddy monkey for you to bring home, a sand toys pack, and 5 different colored swimming pools!

Intercontinental Koh Samui did a great job to induce us. We are exploring intercontinental resorts now and will plan our next Intercontinental stay soon!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Dear JandKFamily,

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort for your hotel getaway in Koh Samui and we are thrilled to hear that you had such a relaxing family holiday with your loved ones at our iconic resort. We greatly appreciate that Fezzy and Timmy went out of their way to make your stay memorable.

We have shared your comments with our team members mentioned in your review and they were happy to read it too, especially Fezzy and Timmy.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Walking in, your jaw drops as the view is simply stunning! The hotel is very well appointed and by Thai standards is expensive. However, by international standards, the rooms are superbly appointed for the rates you pay here: I think excellent value for money if you compare this with a similar facility in Australia, Europe or North America.

the service was generally good, although it helped that I was part of a large wedding party. I certainly had no complaints and when I asked for an late check-out, they were unable to let me keep my room as it needed to be prepared for the next guests - instead they gave my wife and I a villa for 4 hours!! Absolutely fantastic!

The Air Bar is breathtaking at all times, but the sunset is sensational from there and very peaceful at night. The staff was always very friendly and polite. The Spa was top-notch. All in all, well worth the stay.

The only thing to note (for me this was a positive): the location - its about 45 minutes drive from the airport and from Lamai & Chaweng, so if you want to be close to the nightlife, this isn't the place to stay. If you're there to get away, this is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Stay in Room 101-106 - if you're not getting a villa, these offer the best views!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

Dear Pistachio786,

It was a pleasure having you stay with us and I am happy to read how much you enjoyed your time at our Resort – particularly our Premier Ocean View Room, our spectacular views and our team's excellent service. I have shared your great feedback with all our team.

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback here on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back to our “Home on the beautiful cliff” to on your upcoming visit.

Kind Regards,

Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa
SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort

Been to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort? Share your experiences!