“Good hotel in a great location - but please sort out the guests!”

InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Most of the good points have been covered by other reviewers, but I must re-iterate just how good breakfast is and how good the staff are in smoothly dealing with some awkward customers. I'm writing this at the Samui Banyan Tree - no service slouches by any measure- and the Intercon comes out favourably here.

It very nearly rated 5, but there were odd issues with late room cleaning and room service items lying around outside rooms all day. Not good enough in a 5*. However for me it is 'kid control' that's lacking. I appreciate this is an age (and generational!) criticism, but I don't expect families to be able to hi-jack the resort's main pool, ignoring the children's dedicated area. Toddlers on a pool bar stool isn't what I want to see and a number of guests were none too amused at having to defend iPads from water pistol fights ...

What is needed is a proper 'Club', like that we experienced in Bali. I'm quite happy to pay a few extra quid for separation from feckless parents. It certainly worked in Bali and both parties appeared happy enough! The 'Club' here is a very restricted affair for a few of the villas.

Loved the area and strongly recommend using the hotel's mountain bikes to nosey around through the villages up to Nathon - great surprises like Dusit Dhewa await! There's an ATM 15 minutes north up the coast road at the 7/11 by the car ferry. Loved the area and - unlike most of Koh Samui - a scooter would be useful and relatively safe. But not anywhere else - as an experienced UK motorcyclist and occasional Thai one, I strongly advise against one on main roads, Lamai and Chaweng.

Room Tip: Sunset facing rooms lovely, but there is no shade from noon to sunset. Only hardened sun lovers shou...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Thompsons-Abroad
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Dear Thompsons-Abroad,

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort for your hotel getaway in Koh Samui and we are thrilled to hear that you had such a relaxing holiday with your loved one on our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff”. We greatly appreciate that our team member went out of their way to make your stay memorable.

I feel very disappointed hearing about the late room cleaning experience as we got fully book in that period. I have taken note of your comments and will take immediate action. I will ensure that your next stay will be without late room cleaning.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you here again for another wonderful holiday, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Warm Regards,

Stephane Duchenne

Write a ReviewReviews (1,122)

Reviewed 20 April 2013

We stayed here as it was next to the wedding venue (The View - amazing!!). Let me say this is a gorgeous hotel with lovely sea views, stunning Air Bar for sunset cocktails, pools aplenty, the beach and a wonderful spa, and the rooms are spacious. However, if you're traveling with an elderly or disabled person or children in prams, take note - there is NO lift, and there are PLENTY of steps, apparently a lift is on the agenda. They do have a buggy service that transports you anywhere within the resort and the staff are most attentive. As I was traveling with my elderly-but-active mother we felt a bit trapped here, and it is espensive, you can't walk out the door to explore nearby shops or restaurants as in Chaweng. The airconditioning in the room is a bit doggy but overall the staff are most willing to help. For a romantic or beach holiday it would be ideal.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Dear TazzaT,

Thank you very much for your visit to our iconic resort and for taking your time to provide feedback about your recent “wedding destination mini-holiday” experience. I am delighted to see that you had wonderful time with us and our colleagues have contributed a lot on it.

My Team and I look forward to welcoming you back to you “Home on a Beautiful Cliff” on your upcoming trip to Koh Samui.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 20 April 2013

I was very disappointed with some aspects of my stay while other parts were sensational. Firstly the views for the Villa were amazing and the sea breeze was something else while sitting next too the pool. Here is my problem a fresh fruit platter each day bringing all those flies. Really!!! Do you not have fly nets or something I can not be the first guest with this problem I called no one rang me back! Please you have a wonderful property absolutely splendid in so many ways but those flies just drove me nuts!!!. Also the air-con was not so good but it. I am going to return but with strict orders NO FRUIT!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Lechiffre1

Dear Lechiffre1,

Thank you for your review, we are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the amazing views and the sea breeze highlights.

I feel very disappointed hearing about the flies experience, I have taken note of your comments and will take immediate action.

We will ensure that your next stay will be without Fruits inside the room, and I am looking forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed 16 April 2013

This is our second time back to this hotel now renovated and under new management. We arrived late and were led to a spacious and very comfortable room by the head concierge who ensured everything was OK with before leaving. The hotel has gone under renovation quite a bit - the open air dining area on the reception floor is replaced by a much better restaurant one floor below and the beach side facilities are more built-up. The infinity pool is as attractive as ever. Once you are in this hotel, you've to rely pretty much on its dining facilities since it's quite far from town to the north. But you'd enjoy the dining venues there, especially the dinner buffet at the Flames. The head chef there is very friendly and would introduce the best dish of the night for you to enjoy. You can use the free hotel bike to go around the place a bit and attend one of the sailing session (if you don't know how to sail) and let the experienced staff take you out to the islands and back with him doing all the hardwork and you enjoying the blue sea. The staff memebers are very attentive. One night, the hotel main fuse blew off and the backup generator kicked in. Unfortunately, our room was very close to the facility and having continuous humming sound. Upon knowing this, the staff changed our room immediately and sent us a bottle of wine to help us "ease over the unpleasant experience". While waiting for the golf-cart to bring us to the hotel beach at one time outside the hotel main entrance, a gentleman came up asking what the hetel can be of help. We indicated our wish and this gentleman asked his secretary to drive us there! And he is the General Manager of the hotel. We had a very enjoyable stay and would return next time around.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank kwcng

Dear kwcng,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience here on TripAdvisor. It is wonderful to learn that you took the time to enjoy your second return visit to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort. Additionally, I am glad to hear that all the hard work and efforts of our team members enable you to have a relaxing holiday.

Thank you once again for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back to your “New wonderful experience” at Koh Samui to your upcoming visit.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

We just came back from 11 days in this incredible resort. I booked an hotel transfer from the airport, they welcomed us with cold towel and water in a luxury van, so it gived us directly a foretaste of the service and attention that we did experience during our stay.
First of all, it has been mentioned many time, but it's definitely the most gorgeous view we have ever seen. If you are lucky enough with the sky, you will see some of the most beautiful sunset on earth.

We were upgraded to a beachfront villa : it's very nicely appointed (Back to home, I'm looking if I can buy the same mattress as it was so comfortable...) and jumping in your private pool in the middle of the night, under the stars, is something I will never forget.

Even if the hotel is full (their is less than 80 rooms) it does not feel crowded, you always find place in the beach or around the 6 pools (hotel advertise 7, but the purple pool is private). The infinity pool near the lobby, the blue pool and the beach pool are our favorite. Please note that the beach isn't the main advantage of the hotel, as there is some rocks, but you can swim by going at the end of the private pier. However if the beach is your main criteria, you may want to look for another facilities.

Also the walk from the beach to the resort isn't that hard, most of the people used the caddie. We never had to wait more than 2 min when we need them so the hotel situation is really not a issue unless you suffer from a severe mobility issue.

We particularly appreciate all the small attention like the complimentary water at the pool, small fruits and other thai ravioli that they bring during the day, or the chef at the flame bringing some barbecue seafood to taste... .That was for me the difference between a good hotel and a incredible hotel.

We took the hotel boot trip to Angthong Marine N.P., it may be a little more expensive than the other tour operator, but I highly recommend it! You will avoid a long road transfer (the boat will take you in the resort beach). We where only 8 persons in the boat so you feel very exclusive, and the crew (captain, the private guide and the attendant) did everything to make this journey unforgettable. We did snorkeling, an amazing picnic in a desert beach, sight seen and we where lucky enough to see some monkeys. Try to book early enough as the tour operate only if they're is a minimum of 6 passengers and up to 12 maximum.

My partner and her daughter took also the Thai cooking class, and they had a lot of fun discovering the local market with chef Tao and cooking Thai food with the help of Olive and the whole team in the amazing kitchen of the Amber.

We try all the food option of the resort (Amber, Flames, beach bar and the in room service) and all where delicious. I particularly recommend the “all you can eat” BBQ at the Flames. Price are at US or EU level, so do not compare to thai price, but I guess it's similar to what you will pay in the same category of hotel in Samui, like the W or the Conrad. I find the price for the cocktails fair, but the wine is expensive.

The breakfast buffet is probably on of the most gargantuan we ever seen. From thai food, sushi, noodles, fresh fruits, pastry, egg station, donuts...
Be careful with your rates, some seems to not include breakfast but the IC website is not very clear on this point (I had to ask the hotel directly)

I read on previous comment on trip advisor some lack of service, from my point of view if you except the same service as in Europe or US you may be disappointed, they probably don't have the catering school that you have in EU or US (if if they have, only a few percentage of the population can afford it) but they compensate by their willingness, kindness, happiness... in other word the “Thai hospitality”. So yes, you may have to repeat twice to be understood, or need to call twice the reception to make something fix, but if you are tolerant and have a bit of patience it shouldn't be a issue. Anyway management are always looking to help you in any circumstance. A special thanks to Pom for his smile, kindness ,and always asking if we need anything. Thanks also to Timmy who was helping us when we had some request that couldn't be fulfill by the front-desk.

As everything can improve, this is some suggestion to the management (just little point):

An employee (I will not say his name here, as I'm still unsure if is intention were good or not) who was insisting to bring us on some party (nikky beach) saying that he can put us on the list.., and even drive us there. He continue to insist a little bit, even after I told him that we were not the targeted audience. I can't prove it, but I had the feeling that this guy was commissioned by the club to be a tout, and that make me uncomfortable.

For the picnic during the cruise, the food was very good, but it was way to much! We all feel bad when we so all what we left over going to the trash, the hotel should consider to reduce the quantity.

The in room dining experience was not linear, sometimes exceptional and sometimes just ok for exactly the same order.

Concierge service is very helpful when you are there, but sometimes they lack to answer to e-mail (twice I had to send a reminder), they should better track that.

Maybe a possibility to check your balance account from the TV (like in may other IC) will be useful.

Overall experience was outstanding and it's certainly the best seaside vacation we ever had.
We will definitely come back to this beautiful resort

Room Tip: For beach front villa, avoid 501 to 504 as they have limited privacy (they are in front of the beach...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Zebul0n

Dear Zebul0n,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your stay at our “Home on the beautiful cliff”. At InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, we continually strive to exceed each of our guest's expectations. I am pleased that we were able to provide you with a relaxing holiday; the spectacular views, our Beachfront Pool Villas, our hotel facilities and our culinary were the highlight of your stay.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

From the moment I entered the lobby of this wonderful hotel, it was WOW moment, after WOW moment!
The views are spectacular , the settings of the hotel are tranquil. Rooms fantastic and staff super helpful!
I was privileged to attend my friends wedding recently. The wedding was an amazing day with the reception being held on the beach. All guests had acwonderful time!
The only problem I have is, i will compare all hotels to the Intercontental Samui! the bench mark has been set very high by this wonderful hotel. Congratulations to the management and staff

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Tsuddami
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Dear Tsuddami,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed and wonderful experience with us. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed our accommodation and our service at the resort. I have shared your encouraging comments with the hosts mentioned on your review and they are very happy to read your review. I look forward to your upcoming visit to your “home on a beautiful cliff”.

Warm regards

Reviewed 11 April 2013

With many hotels to choose from and all with spectacular views, it's really up to the staff to step up and make the differences... Yes, you will find the amazing Thai hosting manners here and for moments you will feel like you are at the paradise destination you planned. But the scams and frauds and their "Director of Guest Services (Tim)" demeanor would make you scream and wonder... this is INTERCONTINENTAL?

First of all, we were there to attend a wedding, and only because we did not want to "ruin" it (and was reminded by Tim). we "decided" not to escalate.

Here's the story:

So the bride and groom decided to have their reception here, I wanted to book a pool villa, but due to my wife's concern of geckos... we've selected a "Premier Ocean Room" instead... Direct quote from their site...

***Premier Ocean View Rooms offer a similar layout to Ocean View Rooms, with spectacular 180 degree sea view and upgraded amenities....Distinct Southern Thai-style vaulted ceiling with overhead fans... Located on the top floor... Premium toiletries...Tropical kit...Arrival Gift...***

We arrived quite late that night (around 10:30pm) and when we were handed the keys, We quickly noticed that our room was not on the top floor, our reception claims that the top floor was not available. So in other words, we were downgraded without consent.

I told him this was not acceptable, but it was getting late so I said we will take the room if they'll waive it for the night and we will discuss again in the morning. After contacting the director, they offered to upgrade us to a villa. (wasn't my wife's choice... but again, it's getting late)

The villa was nice... until problem arises...
1. room was not ready, arrival kit missing
2. main light cannot be switched off... I called the reception... apparently they knew the issue, and said they'll send someone to fix it, it was 1am and my wife said she'll sleep with the main lights on.
3. 2am, A/C broke down, fan still blowing... decided to take care of it in the morning
4. 7am, fan broke down, called the reception, said will be sending someone to fix it, so we head out to breakfast.

After breakfast, the director (Tim) called, explains that the room's A/C compressor has been known to overheat, he offered to waive the previous night and move us back in the premier room.

Later that afternoon, the A/C broke again so we got our room changed... Apparently, we were sent back to the previous room they assigned, NOT a premier room. Tim came into our room and start telling me that the room is their Premier Room, Well, no Thai ceiling, non premier toiletries, no tropical kit, no arrival gift...

Tim then explains that this is because their website is out of date... ah... excuse me? the forefront of guest information, the website of InterContinental is out of date? False with information??

Worst of all is that Tim wouldn't let me complete any sentence, he would constantly interrupt and tell me I was wrong, I asked him to stop interrupting but he kept barging in and when I decided to raise my voice so I would be louder, he said he would not do anything with me and turn his back on me to leave. Our issues was not over and he said he will only come again when I lower my voice... It was soo stressful talking to him, as I worked for him instead of being in a holiday... I had to beg him to stay because I needed things resolved...

All he was willing to compensate was to put us back on the top floor, but I felt that was unreasonable as that would mean us moving for the 4th time in two days... so he offered a complimentary meal for me and my wife... which I also declined because we were traveling in a group of 20+ and we will be with them throughout...

It was getting late and the beachfront wedding had started... so I quickly agreed that Tim will see what kind of discount he could offer to the room and hurried to the beach.

The discount was a lousy ~10% (which is zero since we were stuck in a regular room when we paid for a Premier..) and a one hour massage for 1 which my wife and I could not enjoy as the only time available was when we had group activities.

Adding insults to injuries...

1. all the refunds were made to the wrong party... instead of refunding to us, Intercontinental decided to make the refund to the groom's credit card.

2. As our group's wedding gift to the bride and groom, we ordered a bunch to lanterns to be lit at night by the beach. We told them it was a surprise and asked them to be discreet. Well,
a. at dinner time the concierge decided to ask the groom to confirm the lanterns, and
b. at departure they have decided to bill the lanterns to the groom.

I want to go on complain and comment about their lack to professionalism and many of our friends also had complaints regarding their experience and ask me to post them here as well... but I am getting tired of typing... I will be copying this post and email to InterContinental in hopes of a full refund...

Tim - you do not turn your back on your guest (I was already discreet by asking you to my room instead of raising the issue at the reception)

InterCon - your website CANNOT be out of date as thousands of holiday seekers visits it daily, falsifying information must be illegal in some extend.

Honestly, I stayed at this resort previously when it was Baan Taling Ngam, I thought it could only be better when InterContinental took over, I was wrong...

Room Tip: from experience only Villa 507 a/c compressor broke down twice in one day main lights are know...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank echo-i

Dear echoi,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback here on TripAdvisor.

Please accept my sincerest apology if you found your stay less than satisfactory due to the service that you received.

After a full investigation of the incident mentioned above, I can unfortunately not confirm the above statements.

We are a professional resort property, managed by professional individuals.

Timmy has been working in our industry for several years, and worked for very prestigious hotels, including ours.

Although I certainly understand your concerns, Timmy has proven to be an exceptional hotelier with several guest comments since he joined us.

Please also note that the content of our website is updated daily, and cannot be out of date.

We however take your comments very seriously and hope to welcome you in the future,
Thank you again for your comments.

Sincerely yours,

W Koh Samui
#6 of 30 in Mae Nam
9 mi away
Sandalwood Luxury Villas

Been to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort? Share your experiences!