“Could have been a dream come true...”

InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Hosted a wedding here in March but didn't want to be hasty in my review as there were some outstanding issues to be resolved.

Firstly I have to agree with all the positive comments regarding the views, the premises are outstanding and in an enviable location which benefits from stunning sunsets. The staff are very friendly and despite my issues they were always polite and respectful.

Food served at the reception was amazing as was the breakfast. I did have lunch at Flames once which was just a pizza and while good it did seem a little pricey. However, a short 5 min walk along the beach (right as you face the sea) takes you to nice local restaurant which serves tasty food at lower prices.

My main issues with the resort lies in the planning and organisation of the wedding, coordination and communication was severely lacking. Several promises were made only to be later retracted after the deposit had been paid, which was especially disappointing as I was nervous about having a destination wedding and false promises was something I specifically wanted to avoid so chose the InterContinental as a trusted international brand.

The original wedding planner resigned a couple of months before the wedding date which is always great to hear, but I suppose these things happen. However I would have expected appropriate procedures to be in place to allow for a smooth transition, instead we had to reiterate our plans (driven entirely by myself) with her replacement who clearly had little to no experience in weddings/event planning. To be clear, I don't blame her for this as I'm sure she tried her best but she did not seem trained for the role as evidenced by the fact she had no authority and would need to check or seek guidance on several queries. My experience of events manager is someone of intimate knowledge of what the resort can offer and with sufficient authority to at least negotiate at the first instance.

I won't bore everyone with the details and don't feel it's appropriate or fair to do so here, however it ultimately led to an unsatisfying and stressful experience. However, at the time I held my tongue for fear of reprisals but having since raised my concerns feel this was a mistake as they have tried to address my concerns and provided refunds on disputed points. I now feel they are genuinely disappointed the service was not better and perhaps if I had been more vocal from the start some of the stress could have been avoided. So I guess I didn't do myself any favours here and will put my hand up to that fact.

Ultimately, the wedding was "ok" and all the guests had a great time, but it could have very easily been phenomenal. Would I recommend the resort as holiday destination and as a wedding venue? Definitely. Would I recommend their wedding or events planning service? Unfortunately not, at least for now I would strongly advise on an experienced and independent wedding planner.

I knocked a star for value as I do feel the resort's charges are excessive in places, for example they offer a hotel taxi to Bophut for THB 1,500 or they'll call a local taxi for THB 1,200 however at a resort next door it was only THB 800. In addition, the resort quoted THB 2,000 for an airport transfer but my locally hired minibus driver charged THB 800 (for perspective, the airport is about 15 mins from Bophut). This is of particular note, not that I think the resort's clientele can't afford the charges but while the location offers exclusivity through seclusion it also makes it less accessible to the rest of the island so feel they could do more for their guests here, i.e. offer more competitive rates or take a much reduced booking fee for externally provided services.

A second star was knocked for my personal experience, however further to my resolution with the hotel I was offered a couple nights free as a gesture of goodwill. If I ever take them up on the offer I'm pretty sure I'd have an entirely different experience as a guest (as mentioned all my guest had a great time), however google is telling me they are currently about 8,647.5 miles away which is a bit far for a weekend break so for now I guess I'll keep on dreaming...

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2013

Dear pk0,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and leaving us a detailed review. I am happy to know that you enjoyed the view from our hotel and found our staff to be friendly. However, I sincerely apologize that you found your visit to be less than satisfactory due to the issues encountered with the wedding event organization. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into and I appreciate you letting us know about these unsatisfactory circumstances at this is our best means of improving our efforts.

Again, thanks for the candid review and I sincerely hope that the next time you are in the area, you will give our hotel another try.

Regards,

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Write a ReviewReviews (1,110)

Reviewed 30 April 2013

This is going to be a short review since the "Concierge", yes, Concierge not Front Office, is trying to annoy me out of my room by constant calling and breaking their confirmed promises.

Called in the morning to book a car, the lady working the phone speaks poorly English, connects me through the entire hotel. Sometimes they don't even pick up. Or the lines are busy for several hours.

Finally a lady at the front desk picks up, I ask her about the limo, she says she is from the front office not concierge, I get passed on again to tell another lady the same story about a 5 pm limo. She confirms it, I ask when I can check out the latest, being a platinum member which is normally at 4 pm at other properties, she says now she is from the concierge not front office and passes me back to the lady before. That lady then says 4 pm is the latest, then I say please please please, she says okay, "let's do 5".

You see, my point is there are a lot of ladies but very little efficiency. None of them have any education nor power to decide on anything, they always have to "call you back".

Now it's 2:30 and I got 2 other people calling me asking me to "get the hell" out of the hotel in a very nice way. I tell them I asked and someone confirmed to me that 5 is okay but they make it sound like I am lying.

Being platinum means nothing here, worst hotel of my trip that included the Conrad, W and Vana Belle. People, spend your money elsewhere not this 18 year old hotel that makes it sound like it is new. Everything is old, I got mold in my shower.

And and btw, when you say "Excuse me?" nicely to the FO people to ask where you can rent DVDs they show you their hand palm and say rudely "One Moment, Not Now!"

Get a grip please.

Also when I was taken to my room upon check in the housekeeping lady was still inside and the room simply not cleaned. Is it so hard to coordinate this? Broken alarm clock that goes on at 7:30 am, after I unplugged it, it still made noises, had to call housekeeping again to have them take is away from my room. During my stay I felt like I worked here making bazillion of calls that we're unanswered.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Sebastian L
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Dear Sebastian L,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback here on TripAdvisor.

Please accept my sincerest apology if you found your stay less than satisfactory due to the service that you received.

We however take your comments very seriously and will take immediate action by our training manager.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you here again for another wonderful holiday, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

My wife and I took a 3 day break for some together time prior to a business meeting in Thailand. The hotel is small and off the beaten path. We had the best suite with an incredible panoramic view over the Gulf of Siam and looking toward the five islands and with one of the best sunsets anywhere each night. Fabulous breakfast included and the staff we superb. The restaurant Amber was at least 4.5 stars. We will return.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MACPTraveler

Dear MACPTraveller,

Warm greetings from the Best Views in Koh Samui!

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an elaborate review, we are delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed our location, incredible panoramic views and culinary. We strive to make all of our guests stays memorable.

My Team and I look forward to welcoming you back to you “Home on a Beautiful Cliff” on your upcoming trip to Koh Samui.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

Most of the good points have been covered by other reviewers, but I must re-iterate just how good breakfast is and how good the staff are in smoothly dealing with some awkward customers. I'm writing this at the Samui Banyan Tree - no service slouches by any measure- and the Intercon comes out favourably here.

It very nearly rated 5, but there were odd issues with late room cleaning and room service items lying around outside rooms all day. Not good enough in a 5*. However for me it is 'kid control' that's lacking. I appreciate this is an age (and generational!) criticism, but I don't expect families to be able to hi-jack the resort's main pool, ignoring the children's dedicated area. Toddlers on a pool bar stool isn't what I want to see and a number of guests were none too amused at having to defend iPads from water pistol fights ...

What is needed is a proper 'Club', like that we experienced in Bali. I'm quite happy to pay a few extra quid for separation from feckless parents. It certainly worked in Bali and both parties appeared happy enough! The 'Club' here is a very restricted affair for a few of the villas.

Loved the area and strongly recommend using the hotel's mountain bikes to nosey around through the villages up to Nathon - great surprises like Dusit Dhewa await! There's an ATM 15 minutes north up the coast road at the 7/11 by the car ferry. Loved the area and - unlike most of Koh Samui - a scooter would be useful and relatively safe. But not anywhere else - as an experienced UK motorcyclist and occasional Thai one, I strongly advise against one on main roads, Lamai and Chaweng.

Room Tip: Sunset facing rooms lovely, but there is no shade from noon to sunset. Only hardened sun lovers shou...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Thompsons-Abroad

Dear Thompsons-Abroad,

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort for your hotel getaway in Koh Samui and we are thrilled to hear that you had such a relaxing holiday with your loved one on our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff”. We greatly appreciate that our team member went out of their way to make your stay memorable.

I feel very disappointed hearing about the late room cleaning experience as we got fully book in that period. I have taken note of your comments and will take immediate action. I will ensure that your next stay will be without late room cleaning.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 20 April 2013

We stayed here as it was next to the wedding venue (The View - amazing!!). Let me say this is a gorgeous hotel with lovely sea views, stunning Air Bar for sunset cocktails, pools aplenty, the beach and a wonderful spa, and the rooms are spacious. However, if you're traveling with an elderly or disabled person or children in prams, take note - there is NO lift, and there are PLENTY of steps, apparently a lift is on the agenda. They do have a buggy service that transports you anywhere within the resort and the staff are most attentive. As I was traveling with my elderly-but-active mother we felt a bit trapped here, and it is espensive, you can't walk out the door to explore nearby shops or restaurants as in Chaweng. The airconditioning in the room is a bit doggy but overall the staff are most willing to help. For a romantic or beach holiday it would be ideal.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Dear TazzaT,

Thank you very much for your visit to our iconic resort and for taking your time to provide feedback about your recent “wedding destination mini-holiday” experience. I am delighted to see that you had wonderful time with us and our colleagues have contributed a lot on it.

Reviewed 20 April 2013

I was very disappointed with some aspects of my stay while other parts were sensational. Firstly the views for the Villa were amazing and the sea breeze was something else while sitting next too the pool. Here is my problem a fresh fruit platter each day bringing all those flies. Really!!! Do you not have fly nets or something I can not be the first guest with this problem I called no one rang me back! Please you have a wonderful property absolutely splendid in so many ways but those flies just drove me nuts!!!. Also the air-con was not so good but it. I am going to return but with strict orders NO FRUIT!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Lechiffre1

Dear Lechiffre1,

Thank you for your review, we are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the amazing views and the sea breeze highlights.

I feel very disappointed hearing about the flies experience, I have taken note of your comments and will take immediate action.

We will ensure that your next stay will be without Fruits inside the room, and I am looking forward to welcoming you soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed 16 April 2013

This is our second time back to this hotel now renovated and under new management. We arrived late and were led to a spacious and very comfortable room by the head concierge who ensured everything was OK with before leaving. The hotel has gone under renovation quite a bit - the open air dining area on the reception floor is replaced by a much better restaurant one floor below and the beach side facilities are more built-up. The infinity pool is as attractive as ever. Once you are in this hotel, you've to rely pretty much on its dining facilities since it's quite far from town to the north. But you'd enjoy the dining venues there, especially the dinner buffet at the Flames. The head chef there is very friendly and would introduce the best dish of the night for you to enjoy. You can use the free hotel bike to go around the place a bit and attend one of the sailing session (if you don't know how to sail) and let the experienced staff take you out to the islands and back with him doing all the hardwork and you enjoying the blue sea. The staff memebers are very attentive. One night, the hotel main fuse blew off and the backup generator kicked in. Unfortunately, our room was very close to the facility and having continuous humming sound. Upon knowing this, the staff changed our room immediately and sent us a bottle of wine to help us "ease over the unpleasant experience". While waiting for the golf-cart to bring us to the hotel beach at one time outside the hotel main entrance, a gentleman came up asking what the hetel can be of help. We indicated our wish and this gentleman asked his secretary to drive us there! And he is the General Manager of the hotel. We had a very enjoyable stay and would return next time around.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank kwcng

Dear kwcng,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience here on TripAdvisor. It is wonderful to learn that you took the time to enjoy your second return visit to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort. Additionally, I am glad to hear that all the hard work and efforts of our team members enable you to have a relaxing holiday.

Thank you once again for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back to your “New wonderful experience” at Koh Samui to your upcoming visit.

Best regards,

W Koh Samui
#6 of 30 in Mae Nam
9 mi away
Sandalwood Luxury Villas

Been to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort? Share your experiences!