“Great Escapade!!”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Parit Buntar, Perak, Malaysia
“Great Escapade!!”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Such a great experienced to be here.. the view from our room was breathtaking! Great service and very friendly staff. We enjoyed our stay very much and this hotel will be our first choice in Koh Samui!!

Room Tip: Beach front pool villa - best view!!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Dear Naszirah A,

Greeting from Sunny at our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” in Samui!

Delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed our accommodation, views and our team member’s service. Thank you for recognizing our team in general and choose us as per your first choice in Koh Samui!

I look forward to welcoming you back to Paradise Island with 5 star services soon.

Warm regards,

Stephane Duchenne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kirchseeon, Germany
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We arrived late at the night and had the hotel transfer from the airport. A contact person was waiting at the airport and brought us to our driver, who was very courteous. Even it was late at night, we had a very warm welcome by the hotel stuff at our arrival. We had a Premier Ocean View Room, which offered us a priceless view and was very clean and had a good size. The whole resort is very well fitted into the landscape and has the charm of a luxury little village in the middle of the jungle, so you get the feeling of Robinson Crusoe stranded at the paradise and not on an lonely island. It is a quite big area with a well fitted main building which includes the lobby several bars, one pool and several rooms. A lot of nice cottages are spread across the area which contains most of the suites. In the whole area are five pools plus one at the main building and one at the beach. The pools between the cottages are quite nice, but you are missing the service there. Which means you won’t find a lot of people using them, which could be nice if you would like to stay on your own. At the beach is also a big pool and enough sun lounger around the pool and at the beach. There you will have a very good service and free water all the time. Also you can get there snorkeling equipment and a lot of other water spot equipment and bikes. Close to the beach pool is the gym, which is quite modern and offers enough possibilities to work out. Even you have far distances between the different locations it is very nice to walk through the whole area and if you don’t like that, they have golf buggies to bring you everywhere you want. Part of the hotel is a pretty spa which offers great, luxury spa treatments accomplished by very well trained people. The hotel offers everything you want and much more, but they have to, because there is not much you can do outside the hotel. If you get tired of relaxing use the trip offers from Intercontinental. They have their own speed boat and the trip to the Ang Thong Marine National Park was really great. I would recommend this trip to everyone, because it is just great. But if you decide to go to this trip take also solid shoes with you, no one is telling you, but you have the chance to “climb” to a very nice stalactite cave. Also the hotel offers a shuttle service to Chaweng and Nathon. If you like to go shopping use the shuttle to Chaweng, there you will get everything you can get in Nathon and much more. The hotel offers different restaurants which offers national and international food in a good quality. I would have found it better if there would be bigger choice of local food. But for all people like me I could recommend the restaurant five islands which is not fare from the hotel away. You could actually walk there and it is offering local food in a very high quality, which you should definitely try.

Conclusion:
A great place to be and a very relaxing environment with a tremendous service! The staff are very polite and pleasant and try to anticipate every wish you have.

Wish:
The people there make a great job for us, so we have a great time, and if you go on a trip, or use the shuttle, or do something else. Don’t forget to give a small tip.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with an unlimmited beach view, because the sunset ant the view in the morni...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank blackraider99
Dear blackraider99,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a "Marvelous" review, we are truly delighted to hear that our team member exceeded your expectations during your recent stay at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort. Your wonderful feedback is very much appreciated for our hard working.

Thank you once again. We look forward to welcoming you back to your “5 Star Robinson Crusoe feeling” for your next trip in Koh Samui.

Yours sincerely,

Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed 4 May 2013

The property is outstanding and while the resort is far away from the airport or any of the busy tourist locations, the views are worth the long drives and the isolation.

Checking in was not as smooth as expected. Being a platinum ambassador I was not given an upgrade as I was using my points for this stay. My first such experience with an IC property worldwide. Anyway, when I showed the e-mail from the hotel confirming an upgrade, Apirath, at the front desk, was very apologetic and mentioned they would do their best the next day to change our room to the next level and offered free breakfast during our stay. This was a very acceptable solution and I had no further complaints. They did call the next afternoon asking us if we wanted to move. We didn't since we were already settled and a little tired after all the swimming.

Our room was nice though a little short space on storage of luggage. The balcony was large with great views of the ocean. The swimming pool by the beach was full of kids and therefore quite noisy. The one by the air bar was much quieter and we ended up spending more time there. The staff by the pools were particularly nice offering complementary water and even fruits and making sure the guests. were comfortable.

The b'fast was good with lots of options. Getting a second cup of coffee was not that easy but only because the staff were very busy. Could do with a few more people in the morning. We dined once at Flames, the restaurant by the beach. The food was good but prices high. Service was again excellent.

One major complain I have is that the Instant Service line went unattended on numerous occasions. At one time we could not reach anyone for about an hour. No one called back. Not quite instant service.

Just like when checking in, we had an issue while checking out. There was a lunch bill, which I never had, added to my invoice. It took the hotel 15 mins to sort it out. While they agreed to take out the charge from my invoice, they were convinced only when the signature in the receipt did not match mine.

Overall our stay was very good. If they can improve on some service issues, more technical than staff related, I see no reason why this property can't offer outstanding stay instead of just location. I'd like to be back!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear arnab 1978,

Thank you for the great feedback and we are glad you enjoyed the experience at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort. Thanks a lot for highlighting some of the shortfalls during your recent stay ... This allows us to address the concern with the team and work on proactive solutions.

It’s our pleasure to welcome you back and stay with us on your next visit to the Koh Samui.

Warm Regards,

Hong Kong
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I share some of the reviews that the premises of the hotel are impressive. When it comes to services, there is really much room to be desired. We stayed in the hotel in late March this year. Our complaints may be summed up as follows: late check-in (arriving at 12 noon, checking in room at 5 pm), waiting for our main dish for 1.5 hours, staff booking for a massage for us under her own name, clearing my plate when I had not finished the food during breakfast, staff obviously under a lot of work pressure and not smiling most of the time. I have the feeling that the staff are not very well experienced in F&B industry and not trained well to deal with high seasons.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SLeeHongKong
Dear SLeeHongKong,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your holiday experience at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort.

This will be of great help in resolving our shortcomings. We are however disappointed that your stay did not meet your expectations. We have taken note of the shortcomings you have mentioned and we will ensure higher level of training to our front line team members. We greatly value your constructive feedback and also hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to InterContinental on your upcoming visit to Koh Samui.

Warm Regards,

London
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Hosted a wedding here in March but didn't want to be hasty in my review as there were some outstanding issues to be resolved.

Firstly I have to agree with all the positive comments regarding the views, the premises are outstanding and in an enviable location which benefits from stunning sunsets. The staff are very friendly and despite my issues they were always polite and respectful.

Food served at the reception was amazing as was the breakfast. I did have lunch at Flames once which was just a pizza and while good it did seem a little pricey. However, a short 5 min walk along the beach (right as you face the sea) takes you to nice local restaurant which serves tasty food at lower prices.

My main issues with the resort lies in the planning and organisation of the wedding, coordination and communication was severely lacking. Several promises were made only to be later retracted after the deposit had been paid, which was especially disappointing as I was nervous about having a destination wedding and false promises was something I specifically wanted to avoid so chose the InterContinental as a trusted international brand.

The original wedding planner resigned a couple of months before the wedding date which is always great to hear, but I suppose these things happen. However I would have expected appropriate procedures to be in place to allow for a smooth transition, instead we had to reiterate our plans (driven entirely by myself) with her replacement who clearly had little to no experience in weddings/event planning. To be clear, I don't blame her for this as I'm sure she tried her best but she did not seem trained for the role as evidenced by the fact she had no authority and would need to check or seek guidance on several queries. My experience of events manager is someone of intimate knowledge of what the resort can offer and with sufficient authority to at least negotiate at the first instance.

I won't bore everyone with the details and don't feel it's appropriate or fair to do so here, however it ultimately led to an unsatisfying and stressful experience. However, at the time I held my tongue for fear of reprisals but having since raised my concerns feel this was a mistake as they have tried to address my concerns and provided refunds on disputed points. I now feel they are genuinely disappointed the service was not better and perhaps if I had been more vocal from the start some of the stress could have been avoided. So I guess I didn't do myself any favours here and will put my hand up to that fact.

Ultimately, the wedding was "ok" and all the guests had a great time, but it could have very easily been phenomenal. Would I recommend the resort as holiday destination and as a wedding venue? Definitely. Would I recommend their wedding or events planning service? Unfortunately not, at least for now I would strongly advise on an experienced and independent wedding planner.

I knocked a star for value as I do feel the resort's charges are excessive in places, for example they offer a hotel taxi to Bophut for THB 1,500 or they'll call a local taxi for THB 1,200 however at a resort next door it was only THB 800. In addition, the resort quoted THB 2,000 for an airport transfer but my locally hired minibus driver charged THB 800 (for perspective, the airport is about 15 mins from Bophut). This is of particular note, not that I think the resort's clientele can't afford the charges but while the location offers exclusivity through seclusion it also makes it less accessible to the rest of the island so feel they could do more for their guests here, i.e. offer more competitive rates or take a much reduced booking fee for externally provided services.

A second star was knocked for my personal experience, however further to my resolution with the hotel I was offered a couple nights free as a gesture of goodwill. If I ever take them up on the offer I'm pretty sure I'd have an entirely different experience as a guest (as mentioned all my guest had a great time), however google is telling me they are currently about 8,647.5 miles away which is a bit far for a weekend break so for now I guess I'll keep on dreaming...

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, 19 May 2013
Dear pk0,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and leaving us a detailed review. I am happy to know that you enjoyed the view from our hotel and found our staff to be friendly. However, I sincerely apologize that you found your visit to be less than satisfactory due to the issues encountered with the wedding event organization. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into and I appreciate you letting us know about these unsatisfactory circumstances at this is our best means of improving our efforts.

Again, thanks for the candid review and I sincerely hope that the next time you are in the area, you will give our hotel another try.

Regards,

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 30 April 2013 via mobile

This is going to be a short review since the "Concierge", yes, Concierge not Front Office, is trying to annoy me out of my room by constant calling and breaking their confirmed promises.

Called in the morning to book a car, the lady working the phone speaks poorly English, connects me through the entire hotel. Sometimes they don't even pick up. Or the lines are busy for several hours.

Finally a lady at the front desk picks up, I ask her about the limo, she says she is from the front office not concierge, I get passed on again to tell another lady the same story about a 5 pm limo. She confirms it, I ask when I can check out the latest, being a platinum member which is normally at 4 pm at other properties, she says now she is from the concierge not front office and passes me back to the lady before. That lady then says 4 pm is the latest, then I say please please please, she says okay, "let's do 5".

You see, my point is there are a lot of ladies but very little efficiency. None of them have any education nor power to decide on anything, they always have to "call you back".

Now it's 2:30 and I got 2 other people calling me asking me to "get the hell" out of the hotel in a very nice way. I tell them I asked and someone confirmed to me that 5 is okay but they make it sound like I am lying.

Being platinum means nothing here, worst hotel of my trip that included the Conrad, W and Vana Belle. People, spend your money elsewhere not this 18 year old hotel that makes it sound like it is new. Everything is old, I got mold in my shower.

And and btw, when you say "Excuse me?" nicely to the FO people to ask where you can rent DVDs they show you their hand palm and say rudely "One Moment, Not Now!"

Get a grip please.

Also when I was taken to my room upon check in the housekeeping lady was still inside and the room simply not cleaned. Is it so hard to coordinate this? Broken alarm clock that goes on at 7:30 am, after I unplugged it, it still made noises, had to call housekeeping again to have them take is away from my room. During my stay I felt like I worked here making bazillion of calls that we're unanswered.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Sebastian L
Dear Sebastian L,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback here on TripAdvisor.

Please accept my sincerest apology if you found your stay less than satisfactory due to the service that you received.

We however take your comments very seriously and will take immediate action by our training manager.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you here again for another wonderful holiday, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Thank you again for your comments.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

My wife and I took a 3 day break for some together time prior to a business meeting in Thailand. The hotel is small and off the beaten path. We had the best suite with an incredible panoramic view over the Gulf of Siam and looking toward the five islands and with one of the best sunsets anywhere each night. Fabulous breakfast included and the staff we superb. The restaurant Amber was at least 4.5 stars. We will return.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MACPTraveler
Dear MACPTraveller,

Warm greetings from the Best Views in Koh Samui!

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an elaborate review, we are delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed our location, incredible panoramic views and culinary. We strive to make all of our guests stays memorable.

My Team and I look forward to welcoming you back to you “Home on a Beautiful Cliff” on your upcoming trip to Koh Samui.

Sincerely yours,

#15 of 187 in Bophut
Poppies Samui
Poppies Samui
#1 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort? Share your experiences!