“Great view but not much more”

InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Sydney, Australia
“Great view but not much more”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I go to some crappy hotel and I get bad service and I tell myself, "Well, you kinda get what you pay".

Then there's the Samui Intercon.

I never felt more unwanted at a hotel during the checkin. First no one welcomed us, then after 5 minutes or so a woman asked us for both our passports and disappeared with them. another 5-10 minutes later I thought I saw another woman working to check us in. No cooling water, drink, or even a wet towel -- did they forget they're in Southeast Asia? Finally after about 20 minutes we were checked-in.

Then I found out the safe in the room was locked. So we went out to meander around the property and we came back to the room at 6:53 pm to see a letter on the bed inviting us to drinks with the hotel staff between 6-7 pm. They couldn't have told us this during check-in?

Charging THB 200 to drive us to La Cuisine? I paid THB 100 to get from the Renaissance to Lamai on a songthaew -- okay, this is a hotel car, but for such a distance you'd think it'd be complimentary.

They also neglected to give us the "exotic skin care welcome gift" and when I informed the front desk about this you'd think they'd go all customer service and just give it to me. No, it was as if I was trying to score another one and they kept telling me how it should've been placed on the bed during turndown. "NO YOU FSCKWITS IT WASN'T ON THE BED AND I DON'T CARE HOW MANY TIMES YOU REPEAT THAT, IT -WASN'T- ON THE BED!" Of course the spa also forgot to give us the "tea gift" that came with the package. Look, these "gifts" are nothing major, but it's the principle, and making me ASK FOR BOTH just makes me feel cheap and demanding.

We went down to Flames restaurant at around 8 pm and discovered they had run out of crabs and only had 1 fish left for the bbq. What the hell? So we went up to Amber ... and you know, if you're going to serve westernised Thai food, at least make sure you have a good western selection, but I have never had such terrible foie gras that it's tasteless, or such tough and overcooked pork chop.

The serenity hideaway package also promised a 90 minute PRIVATE yoga session. So we signed-up for it to discover that private meant we're sharing one teacher with another couple and a woman and her daughter. Worse, the practice platform had red ants crawling near my mat -- it was near impossible to "relax" at the end of the practice when the teacher asked us to close our eyes and played calming noises with his mini gong. All I could think of was "don't come near me, don't come near me".

Then there's the renovation ... we walked down to our room and I could've sworn we were at some run down apartment building. Art works were hanging tilted (and this seems to be the case in general all over the hotel property), roughly painted walls outside our room (we hadn't seen the renovation work going on elsewhere yet when we first got taken to our room), mattresses standing against the wall opposite our door. Cleanliness also seems to be an issue: the mens' toilet near the infinity pool has a strange smell to it, one stall has no light for at least a day, spider web in the toilet stall (for at least two days) that has the light, and one day the main pool by the beach had this ... accumulation ... floating on one of the corners near the bar.

That said, the staff at the fitness center and the kids centre (yet another mystery of the hotel: why am I calling the kids centre to sign-up for the yoga session?) were just amazing and friendly. The front desk staff, on the other hand ... one in particular needs to learn how to smile or at least not make guests feel like she's doing us a favour checking us in. Two other ladies that I interacted with are more pleasant and accommodating, but that said, the front desk is either under-staffed, staffed by incompetents, or both. I never got the sense that they knew what they were doing as they seemed distracted and trying to keep things under control.

1 Thank altanone
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear altanone,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent holiday experience.

Please accept my sincerest apology if you found your stay less than satisfactory due to the service that you received. We have taken note and shared with our teams and training department for corrective action and I will follow up to ensure similar incidents could be avoided in the future. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Thank you once again for sharing your comment and we do hope that we will have the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Sincerely yours,

Stephane Duchenne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I cannot understand why this hotel is one of the 1000 places to visit before you die.
It is a nice property with a lot of comfort nice pool and a beach just to look at it, is not possible to swim. Service is very bad you do not feel in Thailand on the contrary of the other places in Thailand people here hardly smile, Buggy service to beach and Flame restaurant is not well organized. The only place in the resort people is nice warm and smiling by the beach-pool bar.
Rooms all have a nice view and they are clean. You need one hour to arrive its quite far from the airport is in the other side of the island.

1 Thank Copito10
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
Dear Copito10,

Thank you so much for taking your time to give us feedback on TripAdvisor. I truly am sorry to hear that your stay was not up to expectations. The areas for improvement have been brought to the attention of the respective department heads to share with the team.

“Wai (Thai greeting) and smile” is a core value for all of us and I am truly disappointed that you did not feel the warmth that we work so hard on. We will work harder on this very important aspect.

I do apologize for this as well as the fact that the buggy pickup did not arrive on time. I have passed this on to Director of Guest Service to share with the rest of our team to avoid repetition.
In other side, I’m happy to hear that you love our nice view room and our beach bar team.

Dear Copito10, I sincerely thank you for your feedback. I can assure you that we will continue to work hard and strive to meet every guest expectation. I do genuinely look forward to welcoming you back.

Sincerely yours,

Sydney
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I've always like Intercontinental resorts and recently stayed at the one in Bali and loved it. This one, however, though a very nice and expansive property, was a very frustrating 4 days. We were 2 families and booked 2 villas (not at a cheap rate either) and the villas were big enough but dated - the towel handle broke off in my hand!
The most frustrating part was the staff. As in all Thailand hotels, they are very nice and sweet as can be BUT do not know a thing! We bought the Family Retreat package, where our kids eat free. At EVERY meal, we had to explain over and over to the staff cos they did not know what and how to charge! We ended up having to carry the GM letter listing the inclusions all the time so that the staff could read it - but that didn't stop us from waiting for them to figure it out everytime we asked for the check.
Second most frustrating is the Tour we booked. DO NOT book with TK Tours. The hotel promoted this operator so nicely on their ipad - false advertising. 1st - they can to pick us up in a truck with no seat belts for kids and rusty bars so we couldn't even hold on for dear life. We were taken to a little shack which looks like a homeless shelter. We'd booked the 'traditional' long-tail book - which is a wooden boat with a littler motor. We got on and the captain started up WITHOUT giving us and the 4 kids life jackets!! It was when it started getting scarily choppy when we adults scrambled for life jackets and put them on our kids in a rush! Panic! The snokeling spot was murky and kids got bored in 10 mins. The supposed 4 hr trip ended in under an hour cos we just wanted it to end!
Intercontinental is a TOP CLASS brand - is it not? Why would they ERODE THE BRAND with such a budget-low-class operator that compromises on safety??
So, I wanted to bring all this feedback to the GM before it ended up here. Met with the EAM (GM was busy) and he said he'd sorted out the dinner bill (that had the biggest dispute from the staff) but after that, the meals remained the same - us having to show the letter.
Some tips if you stay there: theres a small resort next door with good massage that's half the price and if you want to slum it, there are 2 ladies who set up a hut on the beach a little further down. The location is far from any decent shopping or nightlife.
Ok, in the end - Check out time. Wow - I had the ask the cashier to do no less than 5 rebates and reprint the bill cos so many of the meal charges were wrong. Took us 40mins in total to check out, with me on my calculator! Terrible end to what was meant to be a nice break.
I hope your sales and marketing team can better communicate what they sell to the staff so that your procedures can be put in place to deliver on that sale. Also, book that tour as a customer and see if it is of Intercontinental standard -it IS your brand that is worth protecting, is it not?

Room Tip: 2 bedroom villa is huge but aged. Get one close to the lobby cos it takes so long for a buggy to com...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank BryLuk
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear BryLuk,

Thank you for taking your time to give us your feedback. I truly am sorry to hear that your stay was not up to expectations. Your feedback regarding the towel handle is taken note of. While we are confident that our Housekeeping team would have checked up any furniture, my apologies if they were missed. Just to advise you, to ensure our rooms, suites and villas are in good condition, apart from the daily cleanings and inspections, we carry out a strict preventive care “Maintenance Program,” wherein rooms, suites and villas are taken out of order for 1 – 3 weeks to refurbish. I would appreciate if you can let us know you room number through the same e-mail address that you used for reservations.

I take note of your feedback regarding the team member and check out process. We are confident that our team would have known any package inclusions, my apologies if they were perhaps a miscommunication or lack of understanding.

As for the providing Tour from our Concierge team, I believe, each our chosen company contract works in quality with safety and also we had mentioned you all of each tour detail. Anyway our Concierge team has been made aware of this and the team shall pay closer attention to details of each tour safety standard.

Dear BryLuk, thank you very much for extending compliments. I sincerely appreciate you giving us valuable feedback and pointing out key issues that can be worked on. I hope this one visit does not mar your perception of InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort and you will give us another chance.

Warmest regards,

Taoyuan, Taiwan
Reviewed 11 June 2013

The intercontinental in Samui was one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. The views from the lobby and our room was amazing. My wife and I stayed in one of the standard rooms, and we thought it was awesome. The bathtub was large enough to fit both of us and our balcony had a nice area where we could both lay down and enjoy the sunset.
We also tried the spa and thought it was just OK. The spa is quite small and is actually one of their villas remodeled into a makeshift spa.
The hotel staff was quite nice and very helpful. They helped us book tours and dinner reservations.
There isn't much to do in the area and calling a cab was expensive and difficult, so you're pretty much stuck in the hotel. This isn't really a bad thing, but we were more on a budget so we didn't want to eat 5 star style the entire stay.
This hotel is a definite must stay if you plan on going to Samui.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Ed C,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our “Home on a beautiful cliff” and would like to thank you for choosing our resort as your holiday destination.

Thank you for complementing our facilities, we are very happy that you enjoyed them and our iconic sunset view.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you and your wife again for another memorable stay at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam resort.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

That's a first time when I have a problem to rank a place.
Maybe I'll share some pros and cons with you

Pros
- amazing view from the hotel
- very well equipped pool on the beach
- amazing view from the pool on the terrance
- big, very well equipped room
- Breakfast is great ... I can recommend it :)

Cons
- when you need a short transfer from lobby to the beach or from beach to the lobby, you have to ait ages, it should never happen that one of guests have to go to find manager and ask him for help
- service - could be, should be much better, and should speak good english, and smile, we are in Thailand :) on th beautiful island
- we have a spider web in the toilet ;-) from day 1 ... or this spiderweb is special and should not be touched, or someone is not cleaning up toilet properly
- we have mold in the room ...
- drinks in the bar should be better, I have ordered Martini Dry (it's rather difficult to make this drink not right) - they did it :-)

Room Tip: I recommend to choose room in the main building, your life will be much easier, and you will have re...
2 Thank Seba_Poland2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Dear Seba_Poland2012,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Stayed at the hotel from 1-4 June 2013. This place is one of the top 1000 places to visit before you die and certainly can understand why. Hotel is 45 mins away from airport and perched on a mountain with a spectacular view. Booked a normal ocean view room and got upgraded to a villa! Thank you! Our experience at the hotel was awesome! Loved the rooms and the view from the hotel! It was like being in paradise! Room was spacious with a jacuzzi and there is even a small pool outside of the room. Room uses local branded toiletries-Harnn, uses TWG teas and even Dean and Deluca chocolates/snacks - of course you pay if you consume them.

Try to catch the sunset from the Air Bar, view is phenomenal! Quality of drinks- a little weak, can be improved on but thanks to Pom, the bar manager for helping fix another drink when we fedback that the papaya cocktail was a little diluted.

Breakfast was good and we were happy with the choices! Love the fact that the hotel serves fresh coconut drink during the morning buffet-sweet and refreshing! Would certainly be back to the hotel and wished we stayed longer!

Food at the Flame restaurant was alright and we had the BBQ and thought that the presentation can be further improved on but the service was great. Enjoyed the Thai food at the Amber restaurant too-good food.

Highly recommend for you to stay at this resort! Think you to Hiro, May, Pui and the Sweden guy who made our stay truly a memorable one.

Hotel has also complimentary bus services to Chaweng and Nathon which takes about 40 mins to get there. Worth the trip out as you want to try the restaurants outside of the hotel. You can also try the Five Islands Restaurant located about 2 mins drive from our hotel (they send a car to pick you up) - food is not that cheap but worth a try.

Highly recommended to stay at this hotel! Will certainly return again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear ChiaJoyce,

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us this much and would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review. We here at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort take great pride in our work, and it fills our hearts with joy reading your comments.

We have shown your comments to the team members mentioned in your review and they were delighted to hear that they could help make your stay such a memorable one!

We hope that we can welcome you and your friends back very soon for another delightful stay at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, where “some legends get better”.

Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Voted as "one of the top 1000 places you have to visit before you die .." by the NYT.
And truly it is spectacular. It's position on a hillside with a gorgeous beach few and far between. It's rooms and villa are very spacious and comfortable and the Spa is also great.
Food was excellent although you pay for what you get.
My only "But", is that as a Club Intercontinental guest I was frustrated with their lack of understanding of the philosophy of Why one chooses to be a Club guest. That is, you want to enjoy the hotel and its services (and so you pay More) but you don't want to be reminded about the cost of everything.
Eg. For them to always count how many people are accompanying you for Club perks, or even try to charge you.. (unjustifiably) and have to explain what Club means...
Anyway, I suspect its a learning curve because my other Club experiences elsewhere were faultless.
This is a great place!

Room Tip: All the rooms and Villa are great. All have great views. If you prefer Spa, then stay higher up - if...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank SirRuss
Dear SirRuss,

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort for your getaway and for taking the time to give us feedback.

We are very sorry to hear that your Club InterContinental experience was not up to your standards. We have shown this comment to the staff members involved in providing the service and insure you that these inconveniences will be avoided in the future.

We hope to welcome you and your family back soon for another memorable holiday at our “home on a beautiful cliff”.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Taling Ngam
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
#3 of 186 in Bophut
SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort

Been to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort? Share your experiences!