“Fantastic place - we will return”

InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Bangkok, Thailand
“Fantastic place - we will return”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Spending a long weekend at the hotel was like indulging in an oasis of peace. We had a great time and although it is not our habit to stay at the grounds of the hotel the whole stay, this time we did. It started with a pick up at the airport and driven by private car to the other side of the island. There we were welcomed by name, formalities completed quickly and driven to our beach side cottage by the butler, who took excellent care of us.
The room was beautifully decorated with a massive round bathtub in the bathroom. The small private pool was great and the sea, just a few meters away, inviting.
The restaurant at the main building (the hotel is built against a steep hill) was excellent. The view unbeatable and food of high quality and prepared just right. Breakfast was also served there and was excellent. The restaurant at the beach was very nicely laid out, but food quality was good, just good.
The kids club was fantastic. Our 4 year old son loved it and we really had to drag him away from there. Staff were doing educational things with the kids, so not just brainless entertainment.
However, the best thing of the hotel was the staff. Very friendly, helpful, personal approach, smiles and going the extra mile. Examples are the flowers in the bathtowels, giving free drinks at the poolbar to my son (he is now addicted to coconuts) and foreseeing what you could want.
In summary, a great hotel, excellent food, fantastic staff – really customer focussed. We will return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear expat_sealover,

On behalf of InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Family, I would like to thank you for your great feedback! It makes us very proud and motivates us to continue providing superior quality and personalized hospitality to our guests.

I would also like to thank you for praising our associates’ professionalism, they work hard to exceed all expectations and to provide our guests with the traditional warmth of Thai hospitality. Rest assured that I will share your kind words of appreciation with the entire team!

We would love to have you back and please do look out on our website for some exciting offers particularly during this time of the year. Wish you the very best.

Stephane Duchenne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 14 January 2014

The resort is beautiful and so are the rooms and the pools. The main and big problem is the need of taking a shuttle around the resort. Shuttles are not availble immediatley and guests are stuck for long minutes waiting. We were horrified to see a snake crawling at night out side. WE came as a family of 5, reserved a villa and a room and received rooms very far away from each other. The feeling is the hotel would do anything to charge the guests for extras, including kids acttivities in the kids club!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Yariv L,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking your time and sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. I truly am sorry to hear that your stay was not up to expectations. We have noted the buggy service issues and have coordinated internally to rectify. Please also noted that the resort is fully accessible to walk and the buggy is only here to facilitate the guest experience.

The resort being in a tropical environment, insects can appear. However, we have secured the perimeter and have not experienced any of the mentioned issues in the past.

I am truly disappointed on your comments related to charges. Our Kids club facilities is totally free for all kids, and some activities are being charged, but there is no entry fees at all for the kids club, which is one of the highlights of our resorts. The kids club includes 2 distinctives venues, outdoor with a playground and indoor with several games and In the Know activities for your guests, and the guests comments of this facility is exceptional.

Mr Yariv L, thank you once again for staying with us at our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff”, voted as the World Leading Luxury Resort 2013 by the World Travel Awards, and I hope that we will have the opportunity to better serve you in your next trip in Koh Samui

Sincerely yours

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The location is on the west coast, and it's the best place to have a wonderful sunset. The rooms have balcony with amazing sea view. The resort is very clean, services is excellent with always a smile, the food is excellent at both restaurants, and the spa therapist were excellent. Staff were friendly and took care of us very much. It's a bit remote from the city night live, and that's what i wanted, but if you want to go, it's easy and take around 20 minutes. They had a changes in their management recently, and their services improved. This resort is one of the best on this island, and i will come back, of course!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Thaiger1
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Pierre D,

Thank you for posting this short but great review regarding your recent holiday at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the various facilities, culinary delights and our teams’ warm hospitality. I have shared your comments with our team members mentioned in your review and they were happy to read it too.

I look forward to welcoming you back to "The best sea view & sunset" soon.

Sincerely yours

Austin, TX
Reviewed 10 January 2014

This resort is located on a sleepy stretch of beach on the Westside of Koh Samui. That means the beach is clean, private and the sunsets are unreal. If you like peace and serenity, the IC here is custom made for you.

The entire resort is stunning. The scenery, views, the pools, the rooms...really a very special place. Service is generally excellent and employees smile.

The beach is quiet by Thai standards and it is also pretty clean. Minimal amount of trash in the water or on the beach itself (comparable to US or Caribbean beaches) and if it doesn't rain, the water is nice and clear although not to be compared with beaches on the Andaman Sea.

Food and beverage is generally excellent. I did not have a bad meal in 10 days at the resort. Some dishes are better than others and some meals are better value than others, but overall, I was very happy with the meal options.

Rooms were nicely laid out, had magnificent views. Spacious bathrooms and ultra comfortable beds.

Kids Club was awesome. They have paid activities for the kids that have a local flavor and w made abundant use of the kids club for our little ones. Staff there is great and very caring, and they follow special requests (like making sure your fair skinned daughter is always well covered in sunscreen) to a T.

The small number of negative items to report on about the resort are:

- the rooms seem to be having some issues in general. The first room we were in did have a rain shower head that was not putting out any water (presumably from calcium clogging) and an AC unit that kept cooling full tilt at all times. When I reported it to the front desk, they said engineering would take a look at it, but I never saw an improvement. In our other room, the shower head worked so-so, the adjustable shower head was not height adjustable, and AC was also not working properly. The second room we moved to finally had a properly working shower head and functioning AC.

- there are a lot of special food events at all times, so if you want to eat a la carte, it may take some research and advance planning to make sure you get a seat at a restaurant of your choice for particular dinner times. Also, breakfast is probably the poorest value of all meals at the resort. Pretty expensive buffet and the options are not quite a good as other resorts we have been to in Asia in this quality/price class.

- While I personally like to laze around endlessly on vacation, the lack of easy access to activities due to the seclusion of the resort may be an issue for some travelers. Make sure the vacation you are looking for matches with what you are likely to get at the IC....

- Service can be inconsistent at the resort. While always courteous and friendly, the service delivery can be inconsistent. Some nights, some patrons are served bread baskets at dinner while other patrons are not. Sometimes, turndown service happens and sometimes it does not. Sometimes, it includes certain components (like a little towel and slippers placed next to the bed) and other times it doesn't. This kind of stuff doesn't bother me much, but I know that for others, service inconsistencies can be an issue, especially in the face of high room rates.

- Prices at the resort for activities, food, and spa treatments are fairly expensive by the standards of other Thai/Asian hotels in the same price/quality class. I recommend doing a little research to make sure you are comfortable with the prices being charged here. Good example is that a lunch of two orders of Duck Wrap (delicious by the way) and a pizza for two kids to share will run you about $36 (USD) + tip. Dinner will run roughly $60 for two Thai entrees, two kids meals and a large bottle of sparkling water. Breakfast (if not included in room rate) will cost roughly $100 USD for a family of two adults and two kids. That ain't cheap even by western standards. The good news is that the food quality is outstanding, but again...be aware. I personally thought the prices are fair considering the quality, but some will take issue with the prices, especially compared to how inexpensive food often can be in Thailand and other parts of Asia.

Bottom line is that this was one of the most relaxing vacations we have ever taken, so the minor issues did not really detract from the overall experience in a meaningful fashion.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Steffen P
Dear Steffen P,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write this kind review and for sharing your overall experience online. I am very proud to read that our associates’ special attention and warm hospitality played an essential part in your memorable holiday experience and I will surely share your words of appreciation with the team, they work hard to exceed all expectations and to provide our guests with the traditional warmth of Thai hospitality!

The rain shower head and the air-conditioner problem did not reach in your room does not reflect InterContinental standards that we strive hard to maintain, please accept my sincere apologies. The Engineering department has been informed of this feedback.

Regarding your comment on the inconsistent service, I am sure that we do in the same standard and also follow the IHG standards for resort, but however we will note about this.

We are truly delighted that your holiday at our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” was one of the most relaxing vacation you have ever taken and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Being a seasoned traveller travelling to places like maldives (4 seasons) hong kong (peninsula, mandarin hotel) and after having read previous reviews with this hotel, I thought to experience it with my sister.

1.If you've never been snorkelling, then taking a boat out to snorkelling sites could be a wonder, though myself being an experienced deep-sea-snorkeller found it a bit of a let down and snorkelling sites were over crowded. If you are a beginner snorkeler then the snorkelling is great, just watch you don't bump into anyone or another boat as there's quite a lot of traffic.

2. Regarding the room: There really needs to be improvement with the room dept, as many of the sockets, lights and gadgets were not working, it was only after persistent complaints, was it rectified.

3. Concierge really needs a wake-up call. The information given like restaurant opening times were incorrect, telephone numbers were incorrect and just generally, communication really needs a spring clean. For example it got to a point where my sister tonight (as I'm still here for another two days) had to start raising her voice, as the concierge girl on duty was so irritating with a bad attitude. As I was having a severe stomach ache and only wanted a hot water bottle and talking to the lady concierge, was like talking to a brick wall even though I double checked she understood my english, she just was not helping me solve a problem. In light of that, to be honest, I wouldn't want to have a medical emergency here. It was only after my sister started raising her voice, that she received attention and the problem was resolved.

4. Another wake-up, that the GM needs to know about, is the basic running of the hotel that needs attention. Even a simple wake-up call, for our early morning private speed boat trip, did not come through. There was no morning call, which is not good enough for a five star hotel.

On this note I would like to thank meow, the new butler who only recently started working at this resort a few days ago. She was here, along with her previous supervisor (who happened to be passing through, before moving on to vietnam) was apologetic and trying her best to resolve the many problems that we encountered.

5. A highlight of the trip was taking the speed boat out to have lunch on a private island was lovely as was the tour guide Aood, who also served the meal.

6. The spa was great, they communicated very well and have the correct attitude, my hat off to them, perhaps other departments can receive some running tips from them.

Ps. If you don't like walking far to the lobby, try to stay in rooms 101-109, close to the lobby, otherwise you'll be walking everywhere. These collection of rooms have stunning views.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear bonita c,

Thank you so much for taking your time to give us feedback on TripAdvisor. I truly am sorry to hear that your stay was not up to expectations. The areas for improvement have been brought to the attention of the respective department heads to share with the team.

The concierge team is one of our core values at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort and I am truly disappointed that you did not feel the hard working that they offered you. We will work harder on this very important aspect.

In other side, I’m happy to hear that you love our spa team and Meow's service, also the resort’s signature speed boat tour.

Dear bonita c, I sincerely thank you for your feedback. I can assure you that we will continue to work hard and strive to meet every guest expectation. I do genuinely look forward to welcoming you back.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

I spent 5nights at this amazing resort. I was very impressed through out my stay first with the view and the hardware but not to forget the software which I had never experienced else where before.

Warm greetings with charming smile from my butler upon my arrival, check in was so fast and efficient, personalized service and attention to detail during my stay.

My butler Meow was just so amazing with all the tailored service and special thanks to Mr. Juan Losada, the Resort Manager, who really looked after me and my wife during the stay.

I will definitely come back!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear jays81,

I would also like to thank you for praising our associates’ professionalism, they work hard to exceed all expectations and to provide our guests with the traditional warmth of Thai hospitality. Rest assured that I will share your kind words of appreciation with the entire team, especially Juan and Meow!

We would love to have you back to our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” where gain the World Leading Luxury Resort Awards 2013 by World Travel Awards and please do look out on our website for some exciting offers. Wish you the very best.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Although i have a home in Koh Samui i decided to stay at this hotel for 3 days and its beautifully designed and the location is great, with great views of the Five Islands too. The costs are reasonable compared to my favorite hotel in Samui, The Four Seasons, but you pay about 1500 USD for a room at FS vs 400 ! And to be honest this hotel makes my number two on my Samui list.

The staff is great and helpful and fairly good service. Nothing is 100 percent in Thailand as some staff just don't understand you and still say YES. This is a common issue in Thailand.

My only BIG issue with this hotel is the big nice buffet breakfast at the AMBER restaurant, they cannot handle the amount of people during the peak season and some staff really don't understand English. They really need a good western trained food manager to be there in the morning directing the staff. I didn't really see that. Some customers were waiting 30 minutes for a table and i ordered coffee 3 times and didn't get it, also ordered carrot juice and eggs and it never showed up to my table. To the hotel...hire a good professional food and beverage manager !

Overall i loved the hotel !

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Michael R,

We would like to thank you for taking the valuable time to describe our wonderful view, facilities and services with such care. Also it was a real pleasure to read that you love our resort and make us for your one of two resorts in Koh Samui. It is highly appreciated.

Our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” is located within the exclusive enclave of Taling Ngam Bay on the unspoilt west coast of the tropical resort island of Koh Samui. Renowned as the best spot on the island for sunsets, the resort is set in a quiet, secluded location and offers inspiring views over the Gulf of Thailand and the Five Islands beyond. We also provide many activities for free of charge to our guest such as 7 swimming pools, private beach, fitness 24 hour, sailing, Kayaking, 2 tennis courts, etc.

Your feedback regarding the Amber service is taken note of. I am particularly disappointed to hear that the service performance of our Amber team was not up to your expectations, as this is the single most common reason why our guests rate us so highly. However, I take note of your feedback and reminded our associates to be focused, sharp and attentive to guest needs.

It has been our joy and privilege to serve you and your friends and we look forward to being of service to you again when your next return to your “Great hotel design and location”.

Warmest regards,

#15 of 187 in Bophut
Poppies Samui
Poppies Samui
#1 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort? Share your experiences!