“"Wonderful place to Chill"”

InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Adelaide
“"Wonderful place to Chill"”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed here for 9 nights from the 11th April, might I add firstly that I'm not so sure I would come again at this time of year as it is the 'HOT' season, I am told that Jan/Feb is the best time when a little cooler. We had two different rooms during our stay, we stayed for 7 nights in a 1 bedroom Panoramic Suite then the last 2 nights in a Beachfront Pool Villa both with 'Club' facilities that includes a private butler, afternoon tea, free beers & soft drink from room fridge, evening drinks & canapes and a one way hotel transfer. The directory in the rooms say a 'return transfer' and a 1 hour massage but this is now not part of the 'Club' deal presumably? The evening drinks & canapes from 6 - 8pm is at 'Air Bar' which has got to be the best bar I have experienced due to the stunning views & sunsets, with a choice of about 10 different cocktails, as well as spirits, wine, beers etc; We were not looking for an action packed holiday, done all that, we just wanted a relaxing peaceful place to 'Chill' and due to it's remote location we got this in abundance. If you are looking for busy sidewalks and lots of action, then maybe you are better off being closer to Chaweng. Our first room, the Panoramic Suite was superb and huge, see photos. It had a wonderful long balcony and the views from here were magnificent although too hot to use during the day. The Spa bath is in the centre of the suite and looks out with 180 degree views on to the 5 Islands, absolutely stunning and so romantic! The Beachfront Pool Villa was smaller in total square footage but with the added bonus of your own private pool. A tip here is to stay in a Villa away from the beach pool as it can be quite noisy here, so any of the first half dozen villa's to the right of the jetty. Our last 2 days were the most relaxing and peaceful.
The food generally was of a fairly high standard although the 'buffet's' can work out quite expensive, as we were there at Easter they uppped the prices on two occasions, the 'Flames' restaurant worked out at over THB 6,400 for two! If you are not big eaters then A la Carte works out a lot cheaper, breakfast was superb with views to die for. Although the resort is quite remote, there are a number of nearby bars/restaurants in easy walking distance, two to the right of the resort, I - Talay Restaurant and The Sunset Beach Resort and a couple to the left, Five Islands Restaurant and AM Samui Resort, these 4 will give you an alternative, no more than 10 min walk to them all. So, my overall rating of Intercontinental Taling Ngam Resort as an Ambassador is basically faultless, we were treated superbly by very friendly staff & management, always with a smile. The resort is quite stunning with fantastic views, therefore I have to rate it 5 stars plus!!

Room Tip: Villa's close to Jetty are quieter, sideways on more scenic!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear polperro999,

Thank you for taking your time to share with us your feedback. I am glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay for your nine nights during the Easter period at our ‘One Bedroom Panoramic Ocean View Suite’ and ‘Beachfront Pool Villa’ of our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff”.

We are delighted to hear that you love the resort with the stunning view, Air Bar with a choice of ten different cocktails and our suite and villa. ‘Beachfront Pool Villa’, with the unique location right on the pristine sands of Taling Ngam Bay, these beautiful appointed (82 to 99 square metres) villas are luxuriously styled with modern Thai furnishings and come complete with bedroom, separate living area, private sundeck and swimming pool.

Thank you once again for your great feedback, your trust in our service encourages us to continue creating a wonderful holiday experience for our guests! We certainly look forward to welcoming you to stay with us in your nest visit Koh Samui.

Sincerely yours,

Stephane Duchenne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I came to the restaurant on our honeymoon and were extremely impressed with the service and food. We were greeted by whom we now know to be the General Manager during our lunch and even after finding we were staying at another resort he continued to converse with us and invited us back to events they had scheduled for later in the week. We were extremely impressed by his friendliness and hope to stay at the intercontinental for our next holiday. We had the seafood dish which was great and full of flavour. Thank you for a lovely afternoon :)

Stayed May 2014
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Samandshane,

We would like to thank you for taking the valuable time to describe our excellent food and service. It is highly appreciated.

The whole InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam team is glad to read through your detailed feedback and finding out that your honeymoon meal with us was great! It makes us feel proud that our daily efforts in doing our very best to exceed our guests’ expectations, is working.

Hope we don’t have to wait very long for your second visit and first stay to our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff”!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 13 May 2014

i stayed in a beach front pool villa on may 10th 2014. So, I went to the room at 2am after the banquet, got ready for bed around 3am. When I uncovered the duvet, there were few bugs laying under the duvet! I had to call 2 times, like 15min apart, to have the bedsheets changed.

The staff came in 20min later and squeezed the bug with his bare hands then changed my bedsheets without washing his hands! Too disgusting! I was too tired and sleepy and my flight was few hours later so I let it go!

Nevertheless, not a good impression of Intercon!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ukei C
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Ukei C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a comment.

It is with disappointment to learn of the housekeeping team in which it did not meet your expectations, and I would like to apologize for this. I have passed this issue to Director of Housekeeping to share with the rest of our team to avoid repetition.

This issue does not reflect InterContinental standards that we strive hard to maintain. At InterContinental Samui, we continually strive to provide the best to our guest.

We are truly delighted that you had such a great time during your friend wedding at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We are beyond grateful for their hospitality! Our stay at your resort was nothing but amazing and we thoroughly enjoyed the break.

We really have to compliment the Chef's every dish was a gastronomic delight and additionally we where really impressed with the quality of your pastries and desserts.

The tour to the nature reserve was amazing and the staff was very well informed, took great care and even arranged our lunch on a very remote and secluded spot. We climbed the mountain, snorkelled in the deep blue ocean and climbed up to a hidden lagoon.

We had a beach villa with pool and that is the way to go! Great design, all the perks like a fantastic bath and a coffee machine in the room.

They have hidden pools all over the place and a cool hanging bridge connecting it all. In addition the year round daily sunset views are fantastic as well.

All in all one of our most memorable holidays, we even were invited to the guest cocktail and met the lovely French General Manager Stephane who informed us about much of the great things that are available at the resort. Other resort management was present at all times as well, continuously asking how we where or assisting us with reservations!

This would be my only choice going to Koh Samui!

Room Tip: Beach Villa's are the best for sure!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear SandrineNguyen,

Thank you very much for the great review on your last vacation with us, your compliments on our Beachfront Pool Villas, the gastronomic delight of our chef’s dish, the resort amenities and the Thai greeting from our team are truly appreciated!

We are very happy to hear that our resort is only your choice coming to Koh Samui!

We have shared your raving feedback with all the various department mentioned and they were very pleased.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to your “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” in the not too distant future.

Warmest regards,

Davao City, Philippines
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Our trip to the Intercontinental resort in Koh Samui was a last minute decision and was booked on-line through the IHG Web Site. As a Platinum Ambassador member with the Intercontinental Hotel Chain I knew our stay would not disappoint, and it didn't. The location and view's from the hotel are just breathtaking, and the staff were all excellent. We arrived at 10.30am due to taking an overnight flight, so we arrived at the hotel before the allotted check-in time and as the hotel was fully occupied our room was not available. However, the staff provided us a room in the spa so that we could freshen up and change and then lay by the pool until our room became available.

As for the rooms they are quite simply some of the best I have ever stayed in, and I would certainly recommend the King Bed Ocean View Junior Suite. There is only around a total of 70 rooms in this hotel and although it was fully occupied during our stay it never seemed busy or crowded. And if you want to see the most amazing Sunsets, then these can be seen every evening from the Air Bar.

If I were to make a suggestion to improve the service at this hotel, it would be to possibly provide cold towels around the pool areas, in the same way that a lot of other hotels do in hot climates. I would also have liked to have seen the Hotel GM interact with the hotel guests a little more. On one evening occasion he had drinks in the Air Bar yet did not speak to a single guest, he could take lessons from his staff who were always very friendly and polite.

Overall I would have to say that this is one of those hotels that you have to stay at, at least once in your lifetime

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Graeme H
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Graeme H,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write this kind review and for sharing your overall positive experience online. I am very proud to read that our associates’ special attention and warm hospitality played an essential part in your memorable holiday experience and I will surely share your words of appreciation with the team, they work hard to exceed all expectations and to provide our guests with the traditional warmth of Thai hospitality!

I take note of your suggestions regarding to provide the cold towels around the 7 swimming pool areas and my interaction with the resort guests.

Your feedback is very important for us to improve our service and let us know more what is the guest feeling during stay with us.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and I do hope that we will get the chance to welcome you back to our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” in the future.

Kind regards,

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Me and my husband just came back for our holiday in Ko Samui last week....we had a beautiful days to spent there and of course a nice hotel to stay, Intercontinental Ko Samui
The hotel was so amazing.....especially the view from up there and the facilities were so magnificent, at first we hadn't had any reasons to complain at all....the staff were friendly, especially the one who had took care of us since we were coming...our room has been upgraded because we are member of IHG (Intercontinental Hotels Group), we've just felt the truly advantages of being a member.
Until the last day, when we just finished with our payment and check out procedures something happened that I couldn't forget till now.
When my husband went to the lobby to do some check out things, I've just waited for the bell boy to take our luggage...and when I got in to the lobby, i saw already my two luggages were there.
My husband did ask the female staff on the reception desk to prepare our car, because we have limited time to go the airport....and my husband has asked me again to remind the staff about the car...so I came to her and politely asked her to ask someone to bring my car into the lobby...Since we've first come we just dropped the car and gave them the key, we didn't even know where the car park was. And surprisingly she just listened to me and kept busy talking with her handy talkie and has said to me that i have to be patient because the bell boy were taking my luggage from our room....i told her that our luggage were just in front of her eyes and has asked her again to bring our car to the lobby...and she gave me the car's key....what am I supposed to do with the key?
I have to find my own car without somebody tell me where it was?
Was that a kinda 5star hotel service?
And I have replied again to her to ask somebody bring my car, she just said that everybody were BUSY, thats all..and kept busy with her handy talkie.
Finally...because the time were enough been wasted, my husband asked the boogie cart to take us down to the car park with our luggage...and she said nothing, just nothing
no apologize...no said anything..even the other female staff that we've met in front of the lobby just got off from the boogie( and know about the story) just said nothing.
So we both said to each other that the five star excellent services has suddenly stopped just when you have finished the payment, thats all!
so Unforgettable Service for us to remember...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank irayulfajri
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear irayulfajri,

Thank you so much for taking your time to give us feedback on TripAdvisor. I truly am sorry to hear that our service was not up to expectations. At InterContinental, we continually strive to meet each of our guest’s expectations, I am very sorry that we failed to deliver this to you during your recent visit.

The areas for improvement have been brought to the attention of the respective department heads to share with the team. We will work harder on these very important aspects.

In other side, I’m happy to hear that our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” is so amazing with the magnificent facilities.

Dear irayulfajri, I sincerely thank you for your feedback. I can assure you that we will continue to work hard and strive to meet every guest expectation. I do genuinely look forward to welcoming you back.

Sincerely yours,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

There many good reviews on the sea view and spectacular sunset which intercontinental can provide. I decided to make the stay for my family more amazing and book a Premier Ocean View. However, I was put in a room where it differs from website stated. It doesn't has spectacular 180 degree sea view. It is no different from Ocean View room. When I clarify with the hotel reception, they insisted it is premier ocean room despite I told them the view is partially block. You pay for 180 degree view but end up 90 degree. Can't even see sunset from the room. Disappointed!

Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Jtravelco
Dear Jtravelco,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a comment after your stay with us.

It is with disappointment to learn of the Premier Ocean View Room in which it did not meet your view expectations, and I would like to apologize for this. At InterContinental, we continually strive to provide the best view to our guest.

The Premier Ocean View Room offers a similar layout to Ocean View Rooms. They feature spacious balconies, with a large daybed and dining area where you can admiring the stunning views.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and I do hope that we will get the chance to welcome you back in our beautiful resort in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Taling Ngam
#15 of 187 in Bophut
Poppies Samui
Poppies Samui
#1 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort? Share your experiences!