This hotel was SO BEAUTIFUL. We were visiting Koh Samui for a wedding and were planning to stay at the Conrad Hotel (which is twice the price), but decided we would opt for a bit of a cheaper option and stay at the Intercontinental. Now that I've stayed there I don't know why I was thinking about anywhere else!?
The view from the lobby is absolutely breathtaking. Really one of the best hotel lobby views I've ever seen.
As IHG Ambassadors (which may I just add is a GREAT program with amazing value! You pay $200 the first year and $150 thereafter and get guaranteed upgrades, one free night at any Intercontinental Hotel a year, 4pm checkout, free movies, free internet etc etc), the hotel gave us an AMAZING upgrade to a 1 bedroom beachfront villa with our own private pool! We had booked a junior suite so this was a 2 or 3 category upgrade - phenomenal! It wasn't because the hotel was booked or anything (in fact the hotel was very quiet at the time), it was just because they wanted to! We were so happy and absolutely loved the room. So great to have our own pool, and close access to the beach. A friend of mine had previously stayed at a Panoramic Ocean View Junior Suite and apparently it was just out of this world.
The service was just superb - we were greeted by the hotel manager, who promptly gave us his card and said he would be there at all times if we needed anything, given a welcome tea and a Thai flower bracelet. The staff put so much effort in to making us feel welcome. The guest relations officer Pan stopped by to see us practically everytime we had breakfast or lunch at the hotel, to find out whether we were enjoying our stay, whether we needed to make any activity bookings, whether we needed taxis (to and from the wedding etc). The concierge Kra was also incredibly helpful, we had let him know on short notice that we wanted to go to the Ang Thong islands and he had no issue in calling every operator he could think of to get us on a tour the next day.
We ended up booking a day tour to the Ang Thong islands with the hotel directly on its speedboat - such an amazing day! It was just us and another couple. Everything was done perfectly and so smoothly, our host Wow made sure she catered to our every need before we had even anticipated them! That cost 5500thb per person (including a crazy amount of food) and I think it was well worth it!
The sunsets from the Intercontinental are magnificent - definitely be sure to watch them from the beach, or from the bar by the hotel lobby, or from your room if you have a beautiful beach view.
I tried out the spa as well - the massages were excellent, facials were great, pedicures OK and manicure not so great. Overall I think it's best to go somewhere closer to all the action and to pay much less.
One other thing I'll say - not to complain, but hopefully management will take this on board - breakfast was really substandard for an Intercontinental hotel! Maybe I am getting too used to big lavish breakfasts, but the selection was not very large, and there were little issues like the orange juice was not freshly squeezed it was from concentrate (come on, that's pretty basic!). They had a hot breakfast selection, fruit (but not some of the delicious fruit served elsewhere in the hotel like mangos), pastries etc but none of the other things you find in extensive buffet breakfasts like cheeses and cold cuts.
I should also point out (like most other people will have) that the hotel is very far from the action if that's what you're after. Chaweng is about a 30-40 minute drive away, Bophut is even further.
A few quick tips on taxis/cars - if you book a hotel taxi to Chaweng/Bophut it will cost you about 1500 baht, but if you book a regular taxi (the hotel won't book these for you, you'll need to organise it yourself) it will be about 800-900 baht. The hotel charges 2000 for airport transfers, but if you get an airport taxi it will only be 1500 bt. Save your money and book a regular taxi, it helps support the local community anyway :)
All in all a really spectacular stay. Looooved the Intercontinental. Perfect for couples and for anyone wanting a serene, quiet break.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam is renowned for its legendary status as Koh Samui’s first ever luxury resort. Nestled on a dramatic cliff of Taling Ngam, with spectacular views over the bay and the neighboring Five Islands. The resort features chic and innovative dining, seven swimming pools, 79 beautifully appointed rooms, suites and villas including the iconic Beachfront Pool Villas. Baan Thai Spa and the famed Air Bar complete the picture ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, IHG, Southall Travel, Agoda, Odigeo, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Baan Taling Ngam Resort And Spa
- Baan Taling Ngam Hotel Taling Ngam
- Hotel Baan Taling Ngam
- InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort Ko Samui, Asia