“Beauty and Privacy”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Taling Ngam
Bern, Switzerland
“Beauty and Privacy”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort experience cannot be just said in a one word.

1. I liked very much the exclusivity of the spaciousness, privacy, elegance and the ambiance of the place. The small number of guest accommodation at simultaneous high standard make the experience at Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort unique. Certainly distinguishing feature as compared to known to me resorts of Intercontinental Bali (some nations with their towel place reservations) and Dusit Thani Phuket ( I stayed there in one of the ocean front villas). This exclusivity feeling I had a bit at Al-Bustan Intercontinental in Oman (Suite where my children counted 13 various rooms altogether).
2. Perfect is the kitchen and ambiance of the restaurant down at the beach. I liked the privacy and loneliness very much. The menu is fine and tasty. Congratulations.
3. Your butler spoils customers (it is a wonderful feeling to get spoiled – thank you). It is a good idea to have one person taking this role for possibly whole staying time (Butler at Raffles Singapore changes twice a day – making it very un-personal). Khun Pan at Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort was very attentive and very sensitive to all the nuances. Let her to define the level of behavior for Samui Baan Taling Ngam butlers and all your guests will be happy.
4. The personal kindness, interests and hospitality of all, starting from GM, Director and down to the staff is exceptional – it is an asset to the hotel.
5. I was impressed by the attentiveness and the discretion of the lady manager of the restaurant on the level of the bar. Regret not to remember her name. Someone you would love to have around you all the time.
6. Also very unique was the capability of one of the restaurant staffers (lady too, unfortunately I also do not remember her name). Just attending her other guests as usually, she noticed and could read my body language (I was unhappy with the immediate proximity of big family small child birthday party on one side and noisy overseas ladies on the other side). So even if I did not dare to ask for a replacement she voluntarily prepared another table in a distance and once it was ready – suggested me to move. Wow. Impressive.
7. Ambiance in SPA underlines the elegance and exclusivity. I enjoyed particularly the spacious, elegantly appointed treatment room. (In some Intercontinental Hotels you have an impression you are in a densely packed hospital, not to talk about yet other class hotels).
8. Room cleanness, appliances etc. are as usually, at the high Intercontinental standard. Nothing to comment, yet positively acknowledged.
9. So over all: thank you for this great experience. I highly recommend the place to all those seeking an exclusivity at moderate price.

Room Tip: Choose room overlooking the sea; Villas are fine, yet main buidling offers unrestricted view from th...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bogdan L
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Bogdan L,

Thank you so much for writing us an incredible review! Your review was an absolute pleasure to read! The detail of your positive comments about our property and service is very much appreciated by our entire team. I will share your kind words of appreciation with them, especially Pan!

You touch on the very things we continue to work at so we can excel. We are very glad our efforts are paying off. Thank you very much!

It has been our joy and privilege to serve you and we look forward to being of service to you again when your next return to your “Beauty and Privacy”.

Stephane Duchenne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Amazing hotel, great views, great staff. An exclusive 5 star hotel with a view to die for, in fact the New York post say it is in the top 1000 views worldwide. Air bar at sunset is a must as you can sit enjoy the views and the beautiful cocktails. The food is excellent and the Saturday night BBQ fire night is incredible, all the meat and seafood you could wish for plus entertaining fire dancers. Premier ocean room with the view is just perfect compared to a normal ocean room. We hope to go back one day.....

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Jeremy B,

Thank you so much for this great review and for naming us “Honeymoon or couples paradise”.

I am particularly pleased to hear that you had the relaxing time with the great views and great staff during your stay at our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff”. Thank you for your encouraging words of appreciation about excellent food and BBQ fire night.

Rest assured that I will share your positive feedback with the entire team. For your next visit, I recommend you to try “World of Siam”, our authentic Thai food which you will surely enjoy just as much.

Thank you so much for writing us an incredible review! We all sincerely hope to welcome you back to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort very soon for your next vacation in Thailand.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This hotel was SO BEAUTIFUL. We were visiting Koh Samui for a wedding and were planning to stay at the Conrad Hotel (which is twice the price), but decided we would opt for a bit of a cheaper option and stay at the Intercontinental. Now that I've stayed there I don't know why I was thinking about anywhere else!?

The view from the lobby is absolutely breathtaking. Really one of the best hotel lobby views I've ever seen.

As IHG Ambassadors (which may I just add is a GREAT program with amazing value! You pay $200 the first year and $150 thereafter and get guaranteed upgrades, one free night at any Intercontinental Hotel a year, 4pm checkout, free movies, free internet etc etc), the hotel gave us an AMAZING upgrade to a 1 bedroom beachfront villa with our own private pool! We had booked a junior suite so this was a 2 or 3 category upgrade - phenomenal! It wasn't because the hotel was booked or anything (in fact the hotel was very quiet at the time), it was just because they wanted to! We were so happy and absolutely loved the room. So great to have our own pool, and close access to the beach. A friend of mine had previously stayed at a Panoramic Ocean View Junior Suite and apparently it was just out of this world.

The service was just superb - we were greeted by the hotel manager, who promptly gave us his card and said he would be there at all times if we needed anything, given a welcome tea and a Thai flower bracelet. The staff put so much effort in to making us feel welcome. The guest relations officer Pan stopped by to see us practically everytime we had breakfast or lunch at the hotel, to find out whether we were enjoying our stay, whether we needed to make any activity bookings, whether we needed taxis (to and from the wedding etc). The concierge Kra was also incredibly helpful, we had let him know on short notice that we wanted to go to the Ang Thong islands and he had no issue in calling every operator he could think of to get us on a tour the next day.

We ended up booking a day tour to the Ang Thong islands with the hotel directly on its speedboat - such an amazing day! It was just us and another couple. Everything was done perfectly and so smoothly, our host Wow made sure she catered to our every need before we had even anticipated them! That cost 5500thb per person (including a crazy amount of food) and I think it was well worth it!

The sunsets from the Intercontinental are magnificent - definitely be sure to watch them from the beach, or from the bar by the hotel lobby, or from your room if you have a beautiful beach view.

I tried out the spa as well - the massages were excellent, facials were great, pedicures OK and manicure not so great. Overall I think it's best to go somewhere closer to all the action and to pay much less.

One other thing I'll say - not to complain, but hopefully management will take this on board - breakfast was really substandard for an Intercontinental hotel! Maybe I am getting too used to big lavish breakfasts, but the selection was not very large, and there were little issues like the orange juice was not freshly squeezed it was from concentrate (come on, that's pretty basic!). They had a hot breakfast selection, fruit (but not some of the delicious fruit served elsewhere in the hotel like mangos), pastries etc but none of the other things you find in extensive buffet breakfasts like cheeses and cold cuts.

I should also point out (like most other people will have) that the hotel is very far from the action if that's what you're after. Chaweng is about a 30-40 minute drive away, Bophut is even further.

A few quick tips on taxis/cars - if you book a hotel taxi to Chaweng/Bophut it will cost you about 1500 baht, but if you book a regular taxi (the hotel won't book these for you, you'll need to organise it yourself) it will be about 800-900 baht. The hotel charges 2000 for airport transfers, but if you get an airport taxi it will only be 1500 bt. Save your money and book a regular taxi, it helps support the local community anyway :)

All in all a really spectacular stay. Looooved the Intercontinental. Perfect for couples and for anyone wanting a serene, quiet break.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room with a panoramic ocean view, otherwise a beachfront pool villa!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nooree
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear nooree,

Congratulations to the newlyweds! The entire InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam team wishes you all the love and happiness for many joyful years together.

I am sincerely pleased to hear that you had a perfect wedding trip at our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff”. On behalf of InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Family, I would like to thank you for your great feedback! It makes us very proud and motivates us to continue providing superior quality and personalized hospitality to our guests. I shared your feedback with them and they were very glad to have been part of creating this unforgettable experience for you, especially Pan and Kra.

We have take note for your recommendation for the manicure and the breakfast.

Nooree, thank you very much for sharing your wedding experience with us, I hope to welcome you and your husband back to “Some views are special. Others are spectacular” for your 1st anniversary!

Warm regards,

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

My stay there was one of the best travel experience ever. I spent 2 memorable nights.

The hotel is stunning. .. staff are professionals and one step ahead. Great welcoming experience with great hotel lobby - open air with direct sun set view. I loved my premium room which was overlooking the great ocean and thousands of trees.

If you are looking for peace, then definitely you should stay there. .. It's heaven on earth full of smily faces.

Special thank you to: Pui, Jean, Mai and Pan who made my stay such a success.

Cheers

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ReviewerEye
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear MaherBahsoun,

Thank you so much for this positive review and for describing all the aspects that make InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort a perfect retreat as “Heaven on earth served by angels”!

It is wonderful to know that you had such a soothing stay and your stay at our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” was one of the best travel experiences ever.

I would also like to thank you for praising our associates’ professionalism, they work hard to exceed all expectations and to provide our guests with the traditional warmth of Thai hospitality. Rest assured that I will share your kind words of appreciation with the entire team, especially Pui, Jean, Mai and Pan.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort again soon.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Check in was breathtaking followed by some fantastic service (most important for us)
Room was comfortable and well appointed. Views were breathtaking. Particular thanks to Kha (concierge) for keeping us informed about the best snorkelling around.. Pan for getting us on the right tour for seeing the outer Islands, and our wonderful experience learning Thai cooking with Chef Tao.. My husband had the best tom yum soup that he cooked himself. Whilst the reef directly in front of the hotel doesn't compare to the outer islands in clarity it still has interesting sea life and worth taking your snorkelling gear for. I love the ocean for swimming so this resort hotel gave me the best of both worlds - pool or sea.
It would be great to see some sort of shade facility for the room balconies as it does get very hot so sitting to relax and not get toasted is a challenge. Renting a car was our life saver as it was inexpensive and allowed us the option of driving to/from shops or simply taking in the sights at our leisure.
Great staff great resort and great holiday...we will be back !!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear southey4,

Warm greetings from InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort! Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback! It has been shared with the rest of the team, especially Kha, Pan and Chef Tao, we shall keep up the good work.

I am delighted to hear that you had an amazing holiday with us in enjoying the stunning view, the comfortable room, great facilities and a series of great service experiences by our team. I am particularly pleased to know that you got to indulge in the Thai Cooking Class’s learning.

Thank you for having stayed with us at our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” and for writing this review, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 8 June 2014

If you only need ONE REASON to visit this hotel, should you get it right away: Chef Tassanai Rojanakeereesanti , really just Mr. T.

His kitchen with very exciting menu with local food, cooked in an interesting way, and international cuisine mixed with traditional Thai cooking, did the stay to a first class five star stay. Anyone can build a luxury hotel on a cliff, but it takes real expertise to be able to make your stay to a five star stay. The staff in the restaurant did not embarrass the kitchen, and served these beautiful dishes with the utmost degree of professionalism and friendliness.

Location of the hotel on a cliff was amazing and the "the cliff edge bar" have fantastic views. On the website, it was proposed to have a signature drink at the bar, but the staff on the bar don't knew nothing about this signature drink. Here have the management a little work to do.

Stairs and bridges make the path between the main building and the beach exotic. The beach bar had the same high standard of service as the rest of the hotel reflected. The spa was visited three times and was amazing, both the nice building and the implementation of the treatment.

But it is difficult to find the perfect place, and it turned also well when it came to this. What drew down an otherwise perfect stay was housekeeping and maidservices. There was a lot to put your finger on. And we had two extra times on the resptionen to complain to get proper "turn down" service. First night was almost perfect, but lost a little every day. After a double complaint in the middle of our stay, the service was a little better, but never came up for the first night. We had to request extra towels to the bed on the terrace, and these were not replaced or removed unless we actively took to requested new, although these were full of insects after dark of night.

These were just some of the more negative experiences around housekeeping and maidservices. When they as well "forgot" to close the door to the room twice, gave this answer that the hotel has little to do, to get this part of the service at the five star level.

Summarized stay was absolutely fantastic and we will be happy again to this hidden paradise.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear unsern,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write this kind review and for sharing your overall positive experience online. I am very proud to read that our associates’ special attention and warm hospitality played an essential part in your memorable holiday experience and I will surely share your words of appreciation with the team, especially Mr. T and spa team, they work hard to exceed all expectations and to provide our guests with the traditional warmth of Thai hospitality!

Regarding your comment on our housekeeping standards, we do appreciate your feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to review the occurrences in an effort to improve the guest experience.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and I do hope that we will get the chance to welcome you back to our “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” in the future.

Kind regards,

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 8 June 2014

If on Koh Samui, visit this hotel for a sunset drink, if nothing else. Up on the cliff side is the most beautiful bar area - Air Bar. While the service left something to be desired (especially at these prices), the ambience and view was fabulous. We stayed on to dine and the service in the restaurant was wonderful.

If I return to Koh Samui after a windfall, I will definitely spend some time staying here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
InterContinentalUSM, General Manager at InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Carole A,

We would like to thank you for taking the valuable time to describe your perfect sunset drink at the most beautiful bar ‘Air Bar’. It is highly appreciated.

The whole InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam team is glad to read through your detailed feedback!

We would be delighted to welcome you back to your “Home on the Beautiful Cliff” in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Taling Ngam
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
#2 of 187 in Bophut
SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort

Been to InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort? Share your experiences!