We have just returned form 10 nights at this resort. The resort itself is small and intimate and exactly what we wanted. We had been to this side of the island by bike the previous year when we’d been staying just outside Lamai and had already decided we preferred the “quieter” side of the island. The location of this resort is idyllic and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfasts where great with a good selection of continental meats, fruits, cereals, pastries and bread etc. There were eggs and bacon cooked to order daily and a hot box with various hot offerings every day, if I was to offer any feedback it would be that I personally would have liked a noodle or rice option daily, everywhere else we have stayed in Koh Samui and Ko Tao there had been an Asian style noodle or rice dish available each day.
The pool was a great size and there were always plenty of loungers and towels available. The beach was cleaned daily and again plenty of loungers, free water available and fruit kebabs brought round in the early afternoon which was a very nice touch. The beach itself was great, as mentioned in other reviews, it is a little stoney underfoot in the water but it was not really an issue for us. We were in Sunset Jacuzzi Room 5 upstairs on the second floor and we were delighted with our room. The aircon was not the quietest or the most efficient, probably something that does need to be sorted, but for us it was fine, we had the most spectacular view out to sea and of course of the amazing sunsets.
The spa treatments are also fabulous, both my partner and I had a traditional Thai massage on the beach and he had a male masseur who he said was excellent, I also had a herbal oil massage in one of the treatment rooms which was also amazing (both massages were with Ta who was both lovely to deal with and extremely professional). I would have definitely had more treatments if I hadn’t overdone the sunbathing one day!
The resort is right next door to the Intercontinental and we both agreed we would pick the Sunset Beach Resort any day. Both of these resorts keep their sections of the beachfront extremely clean and tidy however we thought it was a shame that the same could not be said for the rest of the beach. In fact we both felt that all the beaches where there are not resorts directly on the beach front were looking quite un-kept and we were alarmed by the amount of rubbish was washing up (mainly glass and plastic bottles), it seemed to be worse than when we were here previously. This of course is no reflection on this resort and a common problem throughout Koh Samui.
We have no hesitation in highly recommending this resort if you are after total rest and relaxation. We hired a scooter for the duration of the trip which gave us more options when it came to dining and is a great way to explore the island. I would not recommend hiring a scooter however unless you are already a competent rider as the driving skills of both the locals and the other tourists are pretty questionable.
We would also like to make a special mention for Tum, Chid and the other awesome team members at the pool side bar, any limitation in English speaking was more than made up for with friendly enthusiasm and last but by no means least, Donni, who's dulcet tones and fabulous repertoire never failed to entertain us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A luxury boutique resort and spa located directly on the beach front commanding spectacular views of the Koh Samui coast and nearby islands, Sunset Beach Resort & Spa's superbly appointed beachfront villas and sunset rooms sit amidst our private, tranquil spa and gardens where the only sound is the gentle rhythm of the sea. The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam offers 21 uniquely decorated rooms and villas. Sunset rooms are located above reception in a two storey building. Garden villas are positioned around the swimming pool and of course the beach front villas are right by the sand and sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Priceline, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sunset Beach Resort And Spa, Taling Ngam
- The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam Hotel Taling Ngam
- Ban Sabai Sunset Beach Hotel
- The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, Taling Ngam Ko Samui, Asia